Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 23 vs. Brisbane, Marvel, Fri 18/08, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly we are debating whether to play one or two ruckman against the Lions this week. We didn’t even have one ruckman last time we played them.

We look better with 1 Ruck and not 2 Rucks

Frampton will be just fine and should have been playing all year

Agree, should always hold his place in this team, has proven he can play back, Rick and forward - versatility at it best and insurance for us

Play two rucks against Lions as well

+ Markov and yeah it is enough hence there being some play. Ruscoe and Ryan is all we have down below as defensive cover and like Carmichael I’d rather not be turning to Ruscoe because his time is most likely up.

It probably seems counterintuitive, but I would prefer to be picking Ryan when we have alternatives within the 23 than in a situation where our hand is forced. If things go well you push Crisp up the field to provide speed around the ball and if they go poorly you sub him out. Alternatively you start him as the sub.
Not sure I agree re Ruscoe - we should pick best available.

What’s the downside?

He plays well - we offer him a contract.
If he doesn’t- no biggy, and the status quo remains.

I'll remind you of your words after Friday night if we go in with one ruck. On so many levels it's just dumb. Prelim final and Cameron turns his ankle at the first centre bounce against Gawn/ Oscar/ ?. Game over. Or Cameron could simply have an off day like he did against the Hawks and you have no other option other than an undersized forward as back up.

Cox gives ruck cover and forward presence if we are struggling there. He is not a star but he can be a target. Again, if Checkers is smothered by someone like May and McStay isn't clunking them we suddenly look utterly impotent. If you can introduce a 7 foot point of difference that is far more likely to offer something than AJ or another small.

You are happy to see McStay rucking against Daniher and getting slaughtered as well as robbing our forward line of a marking target while he pretends to be a ruckman for five minutes each quarter. And invariably, undersized pretend rucks infringe at throw ins especially in the opposition forward half. It is a dumb idea. Richmond got away with it with pure luck. If Nankervis had gone down they would have relied on Griggs in grand finals. He has gone down a lot in recent times.

You are happy to see McStay rucking against Daniher and getting slaughtered as well as robbing our forward line of a marking target while he pretends to be a ruckman for five minutes each quarter. And invariably, undersized pretend rucks infringe at throw ins especially in the opposition forward half. It is a dumb idea. Richmond got away with it with pure luck. If Nankervis had gone down they would have relied on Griggs in grand finals. He has gone down a lot in recent times.
You continue to act as if Cameron has been providing a positive impact from the ruck over recent weeks, for some reason.

You continue to act as if Cameron has been providing a positive impact from the ruck over recent weeks, for some reason.
Nope. I just see that Fly rates him as our number one ruckman. I do not want to rely on him and him alone to carry the ruck work throughout the finals but it seems the match committee might be leaning that way.

Nope. I just see that Fly rates him as our number one ruckman. I do not want to rely on him and him alone to carry the ruck work throughout the finals but it seems the match committee might be leaning that way.
I more meant from the implication of us being doomed if Cameron went down. I'm not so sure (if Frampton is in the side).

I think the only chance for your boy is if he replaces Cameron.

I more meant from the implication of us being doomed if Cameron went down. I'm not so sure (if Frampton is in the side).
If Cameron went down in the first ten minutes on Friday night and Frampton has to go into the ruck who takes Daniher and then Hipwood? Howe is up forward. So, Maynard goes to Hipwood and Murphy to Daniher. That sounds very scary.

Cox provides so much in terms of options and structure. He has put his head down and played well in two VFL games. He knows his finals chances are in doubt so if ever a player has had a rocket and motivation to impact a game it's Cox.

Probably don't want to show our cards against the lions before finals. Hopefully just use the game to work on our pressure + clearance game. If we avoid any injuries it's a win regardless of the result. Can't afford any more from here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Cameron went down in the first ten minutes on Friday night and Frampton has to go into the ruck who takes Daniher and then Hipwood? Howe is up forward. So, Maynard goes to Hipwood and Murphy to Daniher. That sounds very scary.

Cox provides so much in terms of options and structure. He has put his head down and played well in two VFL games. He knows his finals chances are in doubt so if ever a player has had a rocket and motivation to impact a game it's Cox.

Guessing you were a ruckman back in the day Domey?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree, should always hold his place in this team, has proven he can play back, Rick and forward - versatility at it best and insurance for us

Play two rucks against Lions as well
Could potentially follow Daniher into the ruck to give Darcy a chop out and leave Dan McStay forward.

Probably don't want to show our cards against the lions before finals. Hopefully just use the game to work on our pressure + clearance game. If we avoid any injuries it's a win regardless of the result. Can't afford any more from here.
We'll kill them Pressure is all it will take. Their forwards hang forward looking for uncontested over the top and don't push up to contest. The whole game will be like quarters 2 and 3 against the Cats. We'll lock it in until we score a goal.

Assume Darcy Fort comes in for the injured Gunston Which gives then 2 genuine rucks and really challenges our undersized defence without Moore

Basically a home final week 1 on the line for Brisbane this week. Dead rubber for us.
If they can’t beat us this week they never will

Why? Don't you agree it is a high risk approach for the reasons I stated as well as because the two ruck combo has seen us win most of our games with that structure these past two seasons.
I think the thinking has changed.

Didn’t he play pretty well in big games last year?

I do think he’s lacking confidence but still.

He was great in H&A but absolutely terrible in Finals

Having said that, Checkers was pretty terrible in finals last year too

Feel like if at least one of those two listed in finals, we probably go all the way

Why? Don't you agree it is a high risk approach for the reasons I stated as well as because the two ruck combo has seen us win most of our games with that structure these past two seasons.
I'd take that risk out of it by playing a ruck as a sub. But mainly because it reduces the amount of time that McStay would need to ruck.

All teams that have done well recently against Brisbane have successfully deployed a heavy tag on Lachie Neale

Wonder if we try this tactic ? Not that we want to show all our cards before required , but it might be nice to have a tagging option up our sleeves should we need it in finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back