Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 23 vs. Brisbane, Marvel, Fri 18/08, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He isn't key position size when I think of players I consider "key position size" like Hawkins, J Cameron, the King Twins, Naughton, Ugle-Hagan, Charlie Dixon, Mckay, two metre Pete, Hogan, Lynch, Amarti, Hipwood, Daniher etc....
McStay, Hawkins, J Cameron, Naughton, Ugle-Hagan, Hogan, Amartey are all pretty much the same height.

Charlie Dixon, the King Twins, Mckay, two metre Peter, Lynch, Hipwood, Daniher are obviously taller.

Going to be interesting to see what we do with selection this week.

While Frampton is the obvious choice to replace Moore in defence what's not so obvious was our plan for Frampton last week before Moore went down.

Was he going to ruck and be used as a defensive spare, was he simply replacing Cox as a ruck/forward or were we going to just wait and let the game situation dictate where he was required?

You would assume that with no Moore we would be less likely to use him through the ruck so does that mean we just fall back on McStay or is Cox now in the frame and if so does that impact how we'll use Howe?

As for Howe his experience and defensive instincts coupled with his famous leap just makes him a really interesting forward option, a wildcard and why I was so open to the move. He's adding something different to the mix so I'd be loathe to move him but with no Moore is he worth more to us now in defence or do we just hold our nerve?

Geez the permutations are spicey, if we beat the Lions and GC beat Carlton, both very possible, Melbourne know they can lose out and get a home Qualifying final at the G against us.

But then if Port lose against Freo in Perth, the Dees could finish top two by winning out.

The way it's looking, with the way the times the games are scheduled, Melbourne is gonna be very tempted to go the tank at some point.

He isn't key position size when I think of players I consider "key position size" like Hawkins, J Cameron, the King Twins, Naughton, Ugle-Hagan, Charlie Dixon, Mckay, two metre Pete, Hogan, Lynch, Amarti, Hipwood, Daniher etc....
Several of these players are within 2cms of McStay

Geez the permutations are spicey, if we beat the Lions and GC beat Carlton, both very possible, Melbourne know they can lose out and get a home Qualifying final at the G against us.

But then if Port lose against Freo in Perth, the Dees could finish top two by winning out.

The way it's looking, with the way the times the games are scheduled, Melbourne is gonna be very tempted to go the tank at some point.
Or we could tank our last 2 and avoid that happening

Yes, get set to face the Dees in week 1 of finals and, if we lose, Carlton in week 2.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, get set to face the Dees in week 1 of finals and, if we lose, Carlton in week 2.

If we play our best footy, I’ll back us to beat anyone. But that scenario negates our advantage of finishing on top completely… what a crap outcome that would be.

A lot to play out till then, far from certain. Even if it played out as you say, to ensure a home ground advantage we can "tank" the Essendon game if we lose to Brisbane.

Doesn't really matter. We'll be playing a good team in the QF no matter what. Plan will be to win it whoever that is.

If I were Damien Hardwick I wouldn’t be in a rush to sign for the Suns. Port have been gunning for years to sack Hinkley…. If the wheels fall off now it could still happen.
If Port had been gunning for years to sack Ken, why havent they done it? I think u mean flog port supporters have been gunning for years to sack him.

Or we could tank our last 2 and avoid that happening

We could out tank Melbourne, but then Port could lose against Freo and we would play them anyway...

Taking ethics out of it, logically it makes complete sense for us to lose this week to see what we wanna do round 24.

Going to be interesting to see what we do with selection this week.

While Frampton is the obvious choice to replace Moore in defence what's not so obvious was our plan for Frampton last week before Moore went down.

Was he going to ruck and be used as a defensive spare, was he simply replacing Cox as a ruck/forward or were we going to just wait and let the game situation dictate where he was required?

You would assume that with no Moore we would be less likely to use him through the ruck so does that mean we just fall back on McStay or is Cox now in the frame and if so does that impact how we'll use Howe?

As for Howe his experience and defensive instincts coupled with his famous leap just makes him a really interesting forward option, a wildcard and why I was so open to the move. He's adding something different to the mix so I'd be loathe to move him but with no Moore is he worth more to us now in defence or do we just hold our nerve?
I absolutely love that we kept Howe in the forward line even when Moore went down. Showed me we have a plan here.
I also like it as a bit of a wildcard move, because teams don't really have enough time to work out how to deal with him now, with just two games left to play.
I suspect, Frampton was brought in to allow the Howe experiment to happen. Moore going down, didn't stop that. So I think it's clear that was the plan for him, even with Moore.

It's beyond me that we didn't try this during the Hawthorn game - especially playing Howe on Sicily made so much sense. But I think they realised in hindsight, they should have tried it again and were determined to in the Geelong game.

Hands down, the best our forward set up has looked this year. Our backline was minus Howe when we played our best footy. It was even minus Frampton at times too when he was our number one ruck after round 5.

Murphy is doing a very good job at impersonating Moore now, minus the height. Frampton has the height and plays more one on one defence. Between them, along with IQ, Bruzzy, Markov and Noble for run, we'll do alright.

Howe is more beneficial as a forward, with Mihocek and McStay, and Elliot, Bobby and Ginni.

I absolutely love that we kept Howe in the forward line even when Moore went down. Showed me we have a plan here.
I also like it as a bit of a wildcard move, because teams don't really have enough time to work out how to deal with him now, with just two games left to play.
I suspect, Frampton was brought in to allow the Howe experiment to happen. Moore going down, didn't stop that. So I think it's clear that was the plan for him, even with Moore.

It's beyond me that we didn't try this during the Hawthorn game - especially playing Howe on Sicily made so much sense. But I think they realised in hindsight, they should have tried it again and were determined to in the Geelong game.

Hands down, the best our forward set up has looked this year. Our backline was minus Howe when we played our best footy. It was even minus Frampton at times too when he was our number one ruck after round 5.

Murphy is doing a very good job at impersonating Moore now, minus the height. Frampton has the height and plays more one on one defence. Between them, along with IQ, Bruzzy, Markov and Noble for run, we'll do alright.

Howe is more beneficial as a forward, with Mihocek and McStay, and Elliot, Bobby and Ginni.

I’ve come around to supporting Howe up forward. On Friday night, it all came together, including Ginni. The mix of Checkers, McStay, Howe, Jamie, Hill, McCreery and Ginni (yes it’s more than six) is diverse and dynamic, with the right combination (or for us the available combination) of height, speed, aerial ability, pressure and footy smarts. Love us to settle on that (and see AJ in there in 2014).

Howe might be a good option to keep Harris Andrews accountable
I seem to remember he dominated a game at Marvel earlier in season when allowed to zone off with impunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back