Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 17 vs. Western Bulldogs, Marvel Friday 07/07, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the problem with Cameron as the one to make way is that it leaves Frampton as the number 1 ruck which I’m open to, but I don’t think the club are. Once McStay is back unless injured I can’t see him going out unless he isn’t contesting and drawing defensive numbers which I think will be a given. The one that probably works best is Frampton as the sub, but I reckon WHE will be the one to succumb to pressure for spots if we stay healthy.
I feel that unless Cameron gets back to the form he showed against PA then I’m preferring Cox. His marking has improved greatly and he just seems to create more trouble and panic in defences than Cameron.
But we could play all 3 talls depending on the opposition as we did against PA.
WHE as a sub is highly likely.

Last edited:
I feel that unless Cameron gets back to the form he showed against PA then I’m preferring Cox. His marking has improved greatly and he just seems to create more trouble and panic in defences than Cameron.
But we could play all 3 talls depending on the opposition as we did against PA.
WHE as a sub is highly likely.
Definitely agree with that as the reasoning, but it leaves Cox as a forward which in turn means Frampton is the number one ruck. IMO, the past 6 weeks has shown Cameron’s preferred in that role to Frampton. We could play all 3 as the weekend showed, but the catch is both Cox and Cameron were bog average and there was no McStay. They may have struggled given the quality of their matchups (I mean Witts is in the best 5 rucks in the league), but I’d like them to produce more against the better teams.

Spot on. How often do you see Witts have 11 disposals at 36%, 3 clearances and only 29 hitouts?

Witts is averaging 39 hitouts, 13 disposals, 9.5 CP’s and 5 clearances on the season.
Food for thought, but you still have to convince a bunch of posters that Cameron did in fact play as well as you claim he did, because there's s a lot of dissent. There are those also who think Cox is a bit out of sorts, that he is not being given the number one ruck, seen as his strength, and played as a forward in the absence of McStay. Then there are many who believe that Frampton has the strength of being versatile and mobile compared to the other two, that he has better claims to a spot in the 22.

If the answer lies in dissecting Cameron's role against Witts, I'll leave that to selectors. I didn't view Cameron's game in terms of a spoiling role, but rather how he performed compared to Cox and Frampton.

The diversity of opinions in here is interesting - we all watch the same game but can have widely different interpretations of the worth of a player's output and right to a spot in the team. I rather like the mystery this and other competition for spots throws up each week and the debate on here prior to selection. It's a nice position to be in. When players of the current calibre of Markov and Murphy seem the only possible forced omissions, we boast a strong list.

With Nick Daicos dominating in the midfield and the bulldogs weak defence, wouldn’t mind seeing De goey do a 60% midfield 40% full forward split this Friday. Could easily kick 2-3 goals

With Nick Daicos dominating in the midfield and the bulldogs weak defence, wouldn’t mind seeing De goey do a 60% midfield 40% full forward split this Friday. Could easily kick 2-3 goals
He’ll kick 2-3 from the middle anyway.

Watch out for a fresh Jordie Friday night.

Food for thought, but you still have to convince a bunch of posters that Cameron did in fact play as well as you claim he did, because there's s a lot of dissent. There are those also who think Cox is a bit out of sorts, that he is not being given the number one ruck, seen as his strength, and played as a forward in the absence of McStay. Then there are many who believe that Frampton has the strength of being versatile and mobile compared to the other two, that he has better claims to a spot in the 22.

If the answer lies in dissecting Cameron's role against Witts, I'll leave that to selectors. I didn't view Cameron's game in terms of a spoiling role, but rather how he performed compared to Cox and Frampton.

The diversity of opinions in here is interesting - we all watch the same game but can have widely different interpretations of the worth of a player's output and right to a spot in the team. I rather like the mystery this and other competition for spots throws up each week and the debate on here prior to selection. It's a nice position to be in. When players of the current calibre of Markov and Murphy seem the only possible forced omissions, we boast a strong list.
Spend a day in the game day thread and you will soon see a diversity of opinion, for myself I think McStay needs a week or 2 in the 2nds as it is 3 mths since he last played I cannot understand the rush to bring him in.If Kruger could somehow stay on the field I would play him before McStay myself.

Spend a day in the game day thread and you will soon see a diversity of opinion, for myself I think McStay needs a week or 2 in the 2nds as it is 3 mths since he last played I cannot understand the rush to bring him in.If Kruger could somehow stay on the field I would play him before McStay myself.
I have a read of much of the game thread at half and full time but don't post much because it distracts from watching the game. I often feel sorry for posters beset upon for their contributions. People feel a greater freedom to sound off with the expectation of being afforded some leeway due to the immediacy of the situation. Doesn't always work that way.

I kind of agree about McStay requiring a week or two in the VFL. His spate of injuries, then injuries on injuries, then sickness make me wonder whether he isn't going to unearth yet another reason this week to remain on the side lines. He has had a very forgetful season and at 27 can't afford to spend his time juggling injuries and illnesses. I know it is what it is but that doesn't mean you can't wish it wasn't.

McStay has been out for 3mths and saying we were at our best when he was in the team for me is a bit of a stretch,3 mths without football is a long time and I do not remember his touch being there in the games he played before being injured.

I think he needs a week in the 2,s before he can find any sort of touch I actually think we may be expecting a bit much of him. Good player he may be but a saviour I do not think so.

I agree. I’m looking forward to him getting more in synch with our forward setup, but personally I think yearning for a time when we don’t get outmarked in our forward line is premature.

I can’t actually remember well but was Dan McStay actually having his best game in round 3 on the day he was injured?

I'm not even sure what people are hoping for with McStay, he was the worst KF in the game at Brisbane and hasn't looked like being any different with us. Surely his role is more than just being a battering ram. I wish he would lead at least. Either way he's going to be part of our side but I can't wait to see the melts when he doesn't take marks or hit the scoreboard

I'm not even sure what people are hoping for with McStay,
People want him to bring the ball to ground and bring our smalls into the game whilst taking the best defender away from Mihocek like he did in the first few rounds. It’s been expressed here numerous times I’m not sure why people don’t get it still.

People want him to bring the ball to ground and bring our smalls into the game whilst taking the best defender away from Mihocek like he did in the first few rounds. It’s been expressed here numerous times I’m not sure why people don’t get it still.
Really what you saying is he is workhorse and decoy and a bloody expensive one at that, really Krueger I think could supply all that and goals into the bargain but he is too injury prone.but wait we know someone else who has started like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not even sure what people are hoping for with McStay, he was the worst KF in the game at Brisbane and hasn't looked like being any different with us. Surely his role is more than just being a battering ram. I wish he would lead at least. Either way he's going to be part of our side but I can't wait to see the melts when he doesn't take marks or hit the scoreboard
Looking forward to th econtinued positiv
wont be long then, but he is not the worst KF at Brions, he was not even a KF , he was and still is a Utility much like in the Leigh Brown mould ...

Is that you Nathan? We've moved on from that since you left the top job , JDG is an all Australian mid , u don't mess with that
There's nothing wrong with him spending some time forward and kicking a couple goals, gives us a different look and keeps the opposition guessing.

He can do that whilst still being an AA mid, hate to say it - ala Dusty

There's nothing wrong with him spending some time forward and kicking a couple goals, gives us a different look and keeps the opposition guessing.

He can do that whilst still being an AA mid, hate to say it - ala Dusty
Ginny can't take a trick.

Because Mihocek has had his best season since McStay hasn't been playing, so it can't be that

Looking forward to th econtinued positiv

wont be long then, but he is not the worst KF at Brions, he was not even a KF , he was and still is a Utility much like in the Leigh Brown mould ...
No, he played KF for Brisbane. He was never a utility. Played one game as ruck but that's about all. Hopefully he can improve once he comes back

McStay is good defensively. Eg. against Port he took Aliir Aliir's intercepting out of the game.
I hope so because I don't see much at all. The proof will be in the pudding but I'm putting my money on the melts come September

I hope so because I don't see much at all. The proof will be in the pudding but I'm putting my money on the melts come September
Yeah, there will be melts - he's not going to take many marks or kick many goals and he's likely to keep a player who is popular with fans out of the team - probably Frampton - maybe Cox.

Preview up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back