Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 19 vs. Port Adelaide, AO 22/07, 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was disappointing that some Trainers started celebrating at the 3/4 time huddle and some players bought into it. We missed an easy goal early in the last that would have made it 34 points and would have sucked the wind out of their sails. But as in 1970 Barassi shuffled the team about. I had Carman's number on my jumper until that game. Changed to number 30

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
That ******* Snake Baker

Frampton, Johnson & Markov "omitted", so one of them is the sub, probably Markov.

Ok just reading on their board that JHF wasn’t moving well at training and Butters groin has been a talking point so they certainly have gone all out with their excuses for resting
I heard on SEN from the Adelaide reporter that JHF and the big lumderjack forward both trained strongly and are expected to play

Ok just reading on their board that JHF wasn’t moving well at training and Butters groin has been a talking point so they certainly have gone all out with their excuses for resting
butters I suspect has op, his output has been down for the last month, jhf had some sort of back complaint I think, not saying they aren’t sore and managing niggles, but I think the injury excuse was wheeled out after they dropped the game to carlton and wasn’t spoken about much beforehand, a bit of deflection from the previous week’s selection I feel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'll be Markov. A bit s**t for AJ considering his last two weeks have been productive.
It looks like the forward set up for the finals if all are available will be McStay and Checkers in the key posts, Cox and Cameron having stints in the forward line with Beau, Elliott, Bobby and Lipinsky/Adams the smalls.

It seems we have decided to return to the defensive set up of last year. Howe or Murphy having to cover the second key forward. It seems strange when Frampton was recruited for this perceived weakness and did the job on Dixon earlier this year.
We've done this almost all year. Frampton's barely played in defence.

The conversation between Fly and Ash would have been interesting.

“So, Ash, great job this past fortnight, as our second-highest scorer, with six goals. Well done! Oh, and you’re dropped.”

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sad to see AJ omitted, but understand Fly would want to see all forward structure options whilst everyone is fit. Markov has been named as the super sub.

I hate to say it but let's face it, with Elliott doing so well as the leading FF, it was always going to be hard for AJ to get that role. We are obviously going with McStay and checkers as our Key Forwards going forward

We've done this almost all year. Frampton's barely played in defence.
But we haven't played teams with more than one gorilla very often. Geelong, Brisbane and Port often have 3 talls up forward. So, Marshall and Finnlayson will be far taller than their opponents on Saturday night. Billy has had to play ruck or forward due to players being unavailable in that role.

I hate to say it but let's face it, with Elliott doing so well as the leading FF, it was always going to be hard for AJ to get that role. We are obviously going with McStay and checkers as our Key Forwards going forward
I was hoping they'd give one ruck a try. I think Elliott at full forward gives Johnson a better chance of getting a game, as he can rotate for Elliott, Mihocek and McStay and when McStay is in the ruck. Keeping the same structure.

But Coxy has been solid, so fair enough to go the way they have.

Last edited:
I was hoping they'd give one ruck a try. I think Elliott at full forward gives Johnson a better chance of getting a game, as he can rotate for Elliott, Mihocek or McStay and when McStay is in the ruck. Keeping the same structure.

But Coxy has been solid, so fair enough to go the way they have.
If we were giving one ruck a try, surely the best time to do it was last week when our other ruck was out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back