Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 22 vs. Geelong, MCG, Fri 11/08, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In short bursts, I agree. He doesn't have the tank be a full time mid, but 5-6 min a quarter would be great to see.
We don’t know either way about his tank. What we do know is he doesn’t seem to lack for run towards the end of games. His GPS numbers would be interesting. Get him in the middle I say.

I’ve lacked a bit of confidence in the side after the last fortnight, but slowly starting to look at positives now.

Melbourne will be without Petty for a number of weeks, after finding their right forward mix.

Brisbane are without Ashcroft. They’re covering for him, but there’s a stark difference in their midfield group.

Port have just lost McKenzie who’s been vital to their back six this year. On top of that, Dixon and Lycett have gone in for surgery.

Our injury list is still pretty * good. We are a TEAM, we don’t rely on individuals. We will be fine.

September is a whole different ball game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Do you think Ginnivan would have lost his spot if he had pace?

I agree Ginnivan has elite footy IQ - but that’s not helping when he can’t chase down an opponent, or break lines or sprint into fwd positions or take territory with electrifying runs like Hill.

If Ginnivan had pace Bobby would be playing VFL.
We were one point away from a grand final last year and the unbeatable Cats fell in against us in the Qualifying final. All while playing that hopeless, slow impediment known as Jack Ginnivan. How in God's name did we do it?

Well said Jmac, as simply put as it is. I don't think disposal count (at any level) is the primary KPI that Ginni is assessed on, much the same as Hill and McCreery.

Whether or not Fly and the crew think Ginni could bring something to help us get the job done on friday night is something we all know sweet FA about, but I guess we'll find out if he's selected, and until then posters are allowed to have him in their changes if they please.

The amount of pedantry going on in thread is just ridiculous standard BF posting when our form dips south.

I have EFA'd your post, awesome young person.

I'd like to see a lineup that looks something like this for the remaining 3 games of the season:

FF: Elliott Mihocek Ginnivan
HF: Hill McStay McCreery
C: Sidebottom Maynard J Daicos
HB: Pendlebury Moore Crisp
FB: Quaynor Frampton Markov
R: Cox De Goey Mitchell
Int: Adams, Hoskin-Elliott, Howe, Johnson
Sub: Lipinski

The line-ball calls for me are Ginnivan/Lipinski, with Hill playing forward pocket if Lipinski is preferred over Ginnivan. Johnson's game on Saturday was typically casual, bereft of any impact, therefore I'd look to play him as a second ruck (to avoid McStay having to play this role), as having someone like Cameron as ruck doesn't appear to conform with our coaching philosophy where we look to inject speed.

There are question marks over a number of players at the moment. I see the key for us as having the ability to at least break even at stoppages; part of this requires our inside midfielders to stick tackles, as when they don't the opposition find it easier to get the ball to the outside. This also means players like McCreery, Adams and Maynard need to start attending centre bounces.
Did you mean to have Noble out.

You have access to the internet. I'm sure you have the capacity to go through Fly's pressers. You'll hear lots of mention of GPS data and defensive measures, not disposals
Well ONE tackle didn’t help. And not sure GPS KPI was reached in gathering 6 disposals.

Last edited:
It’s a program in which players are given increased loads.
So i presume it results in more work during the week and therefore fatigue in the last month or so of the season, with the hope that a lessened load in finals improves longevity across four quarters?

We were one point away from a grand final last year and the unbeatable Cats fell in against us in the Qualifying final. All while playing that hopeless, slow impediment known as Jack Ginnivan. How in God's name did we do it?
We aren’t talking about the 2022 Jack unfortunately - he has failed to reach those heights in 2023.
If he had we wouldn’t be having this debate.

I’ve read the term loading programs numerous times now and not gonna lie I don’t know what it is and I suspect I wouldn’t be alone. Can somebody please explain like I’m 10 years old what it is exactly?
I heard Bucks talk about it in commentary last year so I don't think it's fictional - some teams supposedly up their training load for a block of weeks before finals to get fitter, but it can result in them being less energised on game day during that block.

In short bursts, I agree. He doesn't have the tank be a full time mid, but 5-6 min a quarter would be great to see.

Yes - the FIRST 5-6 minutes of each quarter, when at his freshest, to set the aggressive tone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve read the term loading programs numerous times now and not gonna lie I don’t know what it is and I suspect I wouldn’t be alone. Can somebody please explain like I’m 10 years old what it is exactly?

Football mythology used by coaches (and supporters) to gloss over form slumps?

Avid training watcher Jen says that she hasn’t noticed any changes. So unless it’s happening indoors, or under the cover of darkness……

So i presume it results in more work during the week and therefore fatigue in the last month or so of the season, with the hope that a lessened load in finals improves longevity across four quarters?
Yep, so they can taper into the finals and not work as hard in those weeks.
Hopefully explains our slump along with lack of hunger knowing we're pretty entrenched in the top 2.

No idea, sorry.

I heard Bucks talk about it in commentary last year so I don't think it's fictional - some teams supposedly up their training load for a block of weeks before finals to get fitter, but it can result in them being less energised on game day during that block.

Richmond did it when Fly was there

A week or two after that block with the training loads down, players feel energised again.
Teams outside the eight or top 4 avoid a big training block around July as they are desperately trying to get in the 8 or the top 4.
We could afford to do it as we are comfortably 1st or at worst 2nd expected position.
Fly mentioned getting through the July training block. At least that's who I remember saying it.
Someone within the club anyway.

The Carlton loss, I could write off. You can’t win them all. They’d travelled and played a tough game just 6 days earlier. And Carlton are the most in form side in recent weeks 🤮 We also had a crack at a comeback.

I had hoped and expected us to make a statement against Hawthorn and dominate the contest. 8 day break. Plenty to learn and work on from the Carlton loss. But we actually went backwards. We never looked like winning. We didn’t even try to.

This Hawthorn loss has absolutely shattered my confidence. I just hope the players aren’t feeling like I do.

Not needing to win is very dangerous. It happened in 2011. That final game against Geelong. We couldn’t lose top spot. We played preservation footy and were smashed, incidentally against the team we’d meet in the ill fated Grand Final.

I think it’s absolutely essential now that this side finds something extra and does not lose another game now.

We can’t limp into finals with no winning momentum. Bad enough now that the pre finals bye screws up momentum.

I don’t care at all that the media dropped off us. Challenge extended to prove them wrong.

It’s up to the club to want this enough to turn things around. I’m convinced our biggest issue is complacency. Our ladder position, as Fly alluded to in his presser, is making it hard for the players to get themselves motivated.

I also don’t care that we are still two clear on the ladder so technically could lose another game. We really can’t if we are serious about winning it this year!

We can’t waste this golden opportunity that our start to the season has created. Looking at a home qualifying final, in a year where there is no clear standout team.

I wrote the season off when we had no ruckman! But we still found a way. Somehow!

Nick Daicos is obviously a huge blow but it may also be the thing to shake things up. We’ve grown too heavily reliant on him. More of a team effort is needed. Some shifting of some magnets.

Murphy is a blow too. But I also see that one as a potential blessing in disguise in that Frampton comes in and we have a genuine tall back playing one on one and allowing Darcy Moore to play the way he plays best.

Anyway, Friday really can’t come quick enough for me. I need to know if we are still a chance or not. How we play will answer this for me.

18 centre clearance to 3.
Reeves isn’t exactly Max Gawn, so I was disappointed in Cameron.
Give Cox a go as first ruck, as I think he is a better tap than Cameron.
At least give us a chance at first possession.
Also need to inject some speed into the midfield, as we look a bit one paced.

Don't you dare call me French. They wouldn't even do the pizza part of a Hawaiian pizza - uncouth peasant food with a lack of cream or offal that is attempting to infiltrate and diminish their proud culinary heritage.
The French actually do pizza - they call it pissaladière.

Last edited:
18 centre clearance to 3.
Reeves isn’t exactly Max Gawn, so I was disappointed in Cameron.
Give Cox a go as first ruck, as I think he is a better tap than Cameron.
At least give us a chance at first possession.
Also need to inject some speed into the midfield, as we look a bit one paced.
It wasn't Camerons fault, the midfield just weren't desperate enough, we'll learn form that

We’re done. Our saviour crippled. Big Murph in the stands. It’s been a good run. Time to play for draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back