Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 23 vs. Brisbane, Marvel, Fri 18/08, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our forward line has looked this good or better in other games. Suns game, first Port game etc (even in the Blues game we took the same number of marks i50, 18). Have to remember it's only one game. The difference between Hawks and Cats game was not the forward mix it was bringing the pressure. Our forward line would have looked better last week with that as well.

Not saying it's the wrong forward mix or that we shouldn't be happy with it, but need to keep it in perspective.

Our forward line has looked this good or better in other games. Suns game, first Port game etc (even in the Blues game we took the same number of marks i50, 18). Have to remember it's only one game. The difference between Hawks and Cats game was not the forward mix it was bringing the pressure. Our forward line would have looked better last week with that as well.

Not saying it's the wrong forward mix or that we shouldn't be happy with it, but need to keep it in perspective.
Yeah but the forward mix might have also played a big part in bringing the pressure -

Howe rather than a second ruck was much more effective in terms of providing a contest.
Ginni's forward nous to be in the right place and clean hands to keep it alive and the opposition flustered.

But yes, in quarters two and three the big thing was that we really tightened up and didn't allow chip kicks to work it up to the other end. That was the biggest difference.

We had no forward ruck last week either. Didn't rule out the forward mix having an impact and not saying it is not our best, it might be, just that it's one game and we've had a number of others where we've done even better.

We had no forward ruck last week either. Didn't rule out the forward mix having an impact and not saying it is not our best, it might be, just that it's one game and we've had a number of others where we've done even better.
Don't disagree with you - if we cause turnovers in dangerous spots - our forwards are going to get on the end of a lot of goals - like they did against the Cats.

But I do think that Howe rather than Johnson or Cox and Ginni getting dangerous at ground balls were a significant factor in why we created more pressure and caused more turnovers. Thus I hope we keep that mix.

Yeah but the forward mix might have also played a big part in bringing the pressure -

Howe rather than a second ruck was much more effective in terms of providing a contest.
Ginni's forward nous to be in the right place and clean hands to keep it alive and the opposition flustered.

But yes, in quarters two and three the big thing was that we really tightened up and didn't allow chip kicks to work it up to the other end. That was the biggest difference.
The question I have is did our pressure return because we went smaller or because the mythical July loading finsihed?

If it’s the latter then I’d be more
Inclined to back to two rucks.

We have not beaten Brisbane for 5 years. The monkey on our back might become a gorilla if we lose again this week

The smug gloating from the Brisbane hierarchy and players after they beat us in round 4, about finding the secret to beating our ball movement game plan might have pricked Fly’s interest

The question I have is did our pressure return because we went smaller or because the mythical July loading finsihed?

If it’s the latter then I’d be more
Inclined to back to two rucks.
I think it was neither. In quarters 2 and 3 we really tightened up and didn't allow the safe chip kicks out of defence. On TV, it felt like we switched from zone to man on man, but just may have been that we were moving to blokes who went into our zone.

Caught the very end of training. Ginni in black. Which means the starting 22. Won’t be sub this week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
To be fair I think the colour worn on a Monday means little to Thursday selections
He probably deserves to be in 22 this week but ignore his attire for today for now

I actually think it’s about how the two teams set the match up more than anything else. Aside from the QF for obvious reasons in Fly’s time v the Cats the match score has been 200+. I think they believe we’re gettable in a shootout so they play us differently to just about every other side competition wide. We go with it and back ourselves in Blight style they kick 5 we kick 6 etc. It means big momentum swings in game and a nice spectacle. IMO, it’s not reflective of how we want to play v the rest of the competition and not a genuine indicator of our ability to score. Definitely something to keep in mind.

FWIW I’m passionately anti two rucks. Unless we’re getting stoppage dominance from our we just don’t have the quality to make it worthwhile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was neither. In quarters 2 and 3 we really tightened up and didn't allow the safe chip kicks out of defence. On TV, it felt like we switched from zone to man on man, but just may have been that we were moving to blokes who went into our zone.
Our defender’s definitely used their direct opponent as a starting point more after Moore was subbed out

We have not beaten Brisbane for 5 years. The monkey on our back might become a gorilla if we lose again this week

The smug gloating from the Brisbane hierarchy and players after they beat us in round 4, about finding the secret to beating our ball movement game plan might have pricked Fly’s interest
Brisbane have only won one game at the MCG in the last 5 years. Lost 9. That’s the actual gorilla. This week is a 50/50.

To be fair I think the colour worn on a Monday means little to Thursday selections
He probably deserves to be in 22 this week but ignore his attire for today for now

I know. But usually a good sign if they have already decided. First time he has been in black for any session since mid season tbf

But generally it’s wed it’s the one that matters.

Our defender’s definitely used their direct opponent as a starting point more after Moore was subbed out
It was more than just the defenders - it was the whole way up the field. They just couldn't chip it forward like we'd been allowing for weeks.

Why are Carlton an automatic win?

Of course they’re not an automatic win but my ladder predictor sees them playing the Dogs or Crows at the MCG, so I’d say they’re highly likely to win and then play the loser of 1 v 4.

Last edited:
I’ve come around to supporting Howe up forward. On Friday night, it all came together, including Ginni. The mix of Checkers, McStay, Howe, Jamie, Hill, McCreery and Ginni (yes it’s more than six) is diverse and dynamic, with the right combination (or for us the available combination) of height, speed, aerial ability, pressure and footy smarts. Love us to settle on that (and see AJ in there in 2014).

Me too. And with Gunston now out injured, that’s one less potential defensive match-up for Howe. Playing him forward to keep Andrews accountable and perhaps bag a goal or two makes most sense to me.

Last edited:
So at this stage
Maynard Frampton Quaynor
Pendles Murphy Markov
Josh Mitchell WHE
McCreery McStay Howe
Hill Mihocek Elliott
Cameron Crisp Lipinski
Ginnivan Adams ? ?
Sub ?
in some doubt - Sidey JDG Noble

Wrong. we beat them in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back