Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 17 vs. Western Bulldogs, Marvel Friday 07/07, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a positive in that, restrict how much exposure they have at the G, certainly a good chance of playing them on a final at some stage, I'd be more confident with them having not played us there for a few years
The fact they couldn’t even get over Hawthorn there says a lot. A pressure packed final with 95,000 there and they’ll piss their pants

It might sound silly considering how many great players we have, but given the spot he can fill, McStay finding consistency and playing to or above his level could be the thing that wins us the whole thing. Get him in, give him time to find form, let's see how it works sooner rather than later.

One of my pet hates is opposition defensive intercept marks. Drives me nuts, and I can invisige a situation in a final where the pressure is up and our movement becomes stifled and we start bombing it in, a bit like the Melbourne game. And I'm looking at guys like Andrews, Payne, Lever, May and Aliir and seeing great intercept players that could exploit us. McStay providing another target and at least crashing packs and halving the long balls could nullify just about our last weakness if we're fully fit. Absolutely massive if he can find form. Just play him.

I liked Reef's performance yesterday. But in the cold light of day they were only playing Frankston. Let's see what he does against the ladder leaders next weekend.
Nothing he did was spectacular other than the accuracy of his kicking. He was gifted a couple of goals by teammates, although did weave around a bit for his 3rd or 4th goal, but the role he played was not the kind of bigger man role we'd want from him in the seniors. Leave him in the VFL.

McStay has been out for 3mths and saying we were at our best when he was in the team for me is a bit of a stretch,3 mths without football is a long time and I do not remember his touch being there in the games he played before being injured.

I think he needs a week in the 2,s before he can find any sort of touch I actually think we may be expecting a bit much of him. Good player he may be but a saviour I do not think so.

McStay has been out for 3mths and saying we were at our best when he was in the team for me is a bit of a stretch,3 mths without football is a long time and I do not remember his touch being there in the games he played before being injured.

I think he needs a week in the 2,s before he can find any sort of touch I actually think we may be expecting a bit much of him. Good player he may be but a saviour I do not think so.
We don't need a saviour 😂 just poor ol' Checkers could do with another big bodied forward in there to help him out. That's all.

I agree. I don't recall anyone being over the moon with him when he was playing.

I agree. I don't recall anyone being over the moon with him when he was playing.

True but in his defence, he played two games in his role at his new club. The third game he was already filling in for Cox. The fourth game, filling in for Cameron too.
I don’t know he had a chance to find his place properly in this side.

True but in his defence, he played two games in his role at his new club. The third game he was already filling in for Cox. The fourth game, filling in for Cameron too.
I don’t know he had a chance to find his place properly in this side.
True. So he's still a wait and see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the replay it would appear that Ballard was the hot hand early for the Suns and Frampton was then sent deep in attack to either keep him accountable or matchups fell that way. It’s potentially some valuable insurance if an interceptor is getting on top. The question is with McStay back do you need that flex option? It feels to me like Frampton playing that way with stints through the ruck might be the best option.

It's more the flow on effect he has to the rest of the forward line. He draws a similar amount of attention from defenders as Checkers and has the size, intent and competitivity to always influence things in our forward fifty. He doesn't kick stacks of goals but he improves players around him, has always been like that in his career.

I don't think anyone should build him up to be Hawkins but he's a very handy cog. Strongly mitigates the chances of intercepters like Lever, Ballard and Allir mopping everything up and that's a huge tactical issue we often face.

It's more the flow on effect he has to the rest of the forward line. He draws a similar amount of attention from defenders as Checkers and has the size, intent and competitivity to always influence things in our forward fifty. He doesn't kick stacks of goals but he improves players around him, has always been like that in his career.

I don't think anyone should build him up to be Hawkins but he's a very handy cog. Strongly mitigates the chances of intercepters like Lever, Ballard and Allir mopping everything up and that's a huge tactical issue we often face.
I agree he would be a handy structural inclusion and I'm keen to see him get a good run before the finals.

How do you buy a couple of standing room tickets for Friday night. Went on Ticketmaster but there didn’t seem an option for standing room
Do you buy at gate on the night ?

How do you buy a couple of standing room tickets for Friday night. Went on Ticketmaster but there didn’t seem an option for standing room
Do you buy at gate on the night ?
Does Marvel even have standing room? Can't say I've ever noticed it.
Edit: apparently there is standing room.

Watching the replay it would appear that Ballard was the hot hand early for the Suns and Frampton was then sent deep in attack to either keep him accountable or matchups fell that way. It’s potentially some valuable insurance if an interceptor is getting on top. The question is with McStay back do you need that flex option? It feels to me like Frampton playing that way with stints through the ruck might be the best option.
It’s hard to make the case Frampton is NOT best 23, given his versatility.
There’s not much doubt he’s becoming an important cog to Fly.

It’s hard to make the case Frampton is NOT best 23, given his versatility.
There’s not much doubt he’s becoming an important cog to Fly.
He certainly proved he isn’t a likely key forward option

However don’t think he is far behind either Cameron or Cox as a ruck, and he is good tall depth for the backline when match ups or injuries require him

If we only knew which way McRae was leaning in terms of our ruck setup then I feel we'd have our answer to this whole selection debate currently taking place.

If he's steadfast in his desire to play both Cameron and Cox then it'll come down to a choice between Murphy and Frampton. McStay will play.

If he's open to playing just one designated ruck then it'll be a choice between Frampton (currently ahead) and Johnson. McStay will play.

With the emergence of Murphy and Johnson last season alongside the addition of McStay and Frampton I was of the belief prior to the season starting that the one ruck setup is something McRae would be open to exploring if we had a full compliment of talls available.

That moment is quickly approaching but like the rest of you I still have no idea if it's even a consideration in his mind.

If we only knew which way McRae was leaning in terms of our ruck setup then I feel we'd have our answer to this whole selection debate currently taking place.

If he's steadfast in his desire to play both Cameron and Cox then it'll come down to a choice between Murphy and Frampton. McStay will play.

If he's open to playing just one designated ruck then it'll be a choice between Frampton (currently ahead) and Johnson. McStay will play.

With the emergence of Murphy and Johnson last season alongside the addition of McStay and Frampton I was of the belief prior to the season starting that the one ruck setup is something McRae would be open to exploring if we had a full compliment of talls available.

That moment is quickly approaching but like the rest of you I still have no idea if it's even a consideration in his mind.
I'd honestly strongly consider Cameron - Frampton - McStay - Mihocek as our ruck and forward structure.

At worst I don't see why you wouldn't make Frampton the sub in some games

Can play forward, back and ruck so you're more than covered should you cop an injury in one of those roles. Or if you see a team with two tall forwards troubling us, sub him on to help out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back