Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 20 vs. Carlton, MCG, Fri 28/07, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is/was training on today? Anything notable from those lucky enough to attend our trainings?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don't know why we bother this year now apparently Port has found the formula to beating Collingwood. Think we may as well rejig for 2024 assault on the Flag.. :think::think::think:
:arrowup: This. All the footy shows talk of this, imagine if Port had won. It would be unbearable.

As much as it has annoyed me to constantly hear the media & commentators talk up ways to beat us & how to stop Nick yadda yadda yadda, I've now concluded it probably also helps our coaches to hear what others think are the ways to beat us. We can be ready & prepared for all the tactics they've discussed.

Edit : I am still a bit annoyed, because it really irks me how we constantly hear these 'experts' talk up & about Sheezel, Ashcroft, Bont, Butters, Liberatore, Port, Lions & Blues .. but I don't hear these same commentators talk about how to stop these players or teams.
It's because these bitter and twisted "experts" hate Collingwood.
If we lift the cup, they will hate us more.
Bring it on!

Degoey was suffering from the flu and didn’t train all week.I think that probably explained why he looked a bit off during the game.As for Mitchell,I don’t know what was wrong with him.Perhaps he’s carrying a niggle or two?He’s definitely not playing as well as he did earlier in the season.I really don’t know what the problem is.
I think he started a bit off, possibly effects of the viral infection plus the lack of much training during the week - but got better as the game wore on. He should be all the better this week

Have to admit I’m a bit vague on this but is the clearance given to the player who clears the congestion or the player who’s 1st in the possession chain leading to the clearance?
From Champion data: Credited to the player who has the first effective disposal in a chain that clears the stoppage area, or an ineffective kick or clanger kick that clears the stoppage area.

The bloke with the most clearances for us this season probably has a few credits in the bank.
This is the other path that’s a watch. Mitchell’s problems in terms of holding his spot stem from Naicos moving into the midfield and being the dominant stoppage player we missed in 2022. Entering the season we all thought that would be Mitchell, but JDG’s suspension flipped the script.

Right now the choice is between a linking small mid with limited hurt factor or low possession runner who can give you something in the air. Mitchell needs a good stoppage match this week to solidify his spot, IMO.
checks clearance numbers since Naicos has transitioned into the midfield

Mitchell 19 v Naicos 42 🤷‍♂️

In the same time period Adams has 22, Pendles 20, De Goey even has 16 despite playing 3 of the 5 games in that block. My post was entirely accurate and his credits are why I suggested it was a watch.

Last edited:
checks clearance numbers since Naicos has transitioned into the midfield

Mitchell 19 v Naicos 42 🤷‍♂️

In the same time period Adams has 22, Pendles 20, De Goey even has 16 despite playing 3 of the 5 games in that block. I’m sure he has credits, but I expect they’re running out if we plan to bring WHE back.
So he is holding his own with other mids, whilst naicos is the standout? And they have all been picked together in the same team?

Selection problems are good to have. Not sure WHE for Mitchell is the answer. Would be almost worth it though - just to see the BF WHE haters go nuts.

It's because these bitter and twisted "experts" hate Collingwood.
If we lift the cup, they will hate us more.
Bring it on!
Actually some of them are falling over themselves to say how uncomfortable they feel because they like us & enjoy watching us play. It's hilarious. We're taking up so much space in their heads 😄

So he is holding his own with other mids, whilst naicos is the standout? And they have all been picked together in the same team?

Selection problems are good to have. Not sure WHE for Mitchell is the answer. Would be almost worth it though - just to see the BF WHE haters go nuts.
I would say he’s borderline holding his own on the basis of his role as a first possession mid. If we were to compare him to the likes of Dunkley, Viney and Libba their contest numbers will sit alongside Naicos’. That’s Mitchell’s role so there’s been a plateau. No one’s arguing that are we?

I think run is the answer as opposed to WHE individually he just happens to be the best runner outside the 23. The popularity of your posts would suggest it’d be an interesting 24-48 hrs on here and overall I’m pretty agnostic on the discussion, but I think it’s evolving. My preference would probably be to use Mitchell as the sub moving forward if he’s getting squeezed.

I would say he’s borderline holding his own on the basis of his role as a first possession mid. If we were to compare him to the likes of Dunkley, Viney and Libba their contest numbers will sit alongside Naicos’. That’s Mitchell’s role so there’s been a plateau. No one’s arguing that are we?

I think run is the answer as opposed to WHE individually he just happens to be the best runner outside the 23. The popularity of your posts would suggest it’d be an interesting 24-48 hrs on here and overall I’m pretty agnostic on the discussion, but I think it’s evolving. My preference would probably be to use Mitchell as the sub moving forward if he’s getting squeezed.
A plateau?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell is the ‘clearance assist’ player, scrapping and burrowing under packs to harass, spoil, tackle, tap, knock-on, force the ball our way and/or ultimately win 1st possession

That possession doesn’t “clear” the stoppage (therefore likely isn’t recorded by Champion Data) but gets it to a player that does.

He spends half his time on his knees, has curbed his natural game but this is the exact role he was recruited for.

Mitchell is the ‘clearance assist’ player, scrapping and burrowing under packs to harass, spoil, tackle, tap, knock-on, force the ball our way and/or ultimately win 1st possession

That possession doesn’t “clear” the stoppage (therefore likely isn’t recorded by Champion Data) but gets it to a player that does.

He spends half his time on his knees, has curbed his natural game but this is the exact role he was recruited for.
Most sensible thing I've read on bf about Titch. The negativity directed at him on the back of being subbed on/subbed off in 2 wins is absurd.

Is/was training on today? Anything notable from those lucky enough to attend our trainings?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Tomorrow.
I did wake up and wonder if there might be a change; went down there this morning, but bumped into the media guy who said today was their day off.

Will be very interesting to see how selection goes this week - I'd hazard a guess and say if you're not yet locked in the team, then Friday and next week against Hawthorn will be your last chances to do so, as I doubt we will see much more tinkering/trialing of things in our last 3 games against the Cats, Lions and Bombers.

I imagine the club would be using those last three rounds to really have the team humming into the first week of finals and would not be planning on making too many changes between then and ideally the GF (injuries off course being the caveat, this is Collingwood after all). Imo there are 2 small battles going on atm for the last 2-3 spots in the side that being:

Cox v AJ v Frampton v Howe - I see it as 4 trying to fit into 2 places in the side. Howe is a strange mention here, but Frampton's size can't be ignored against the likes of a Brisbane/Geelong, and while Howe/Frampton can co-exist in the same 23, I can't see both of them being in a team that also has Cox/AJ in it. Cox has the head start over AJ currently (and has a track record in finals), but AJ is the form player atm and would chomping at the chance to break into the AFL side after being unlucky in being sent back to the VFL last week. Ultimately I think it will be Howe and the other 3 fighting it out for the final spot.

The other battle imo is Lippa v Ginni v WHE. They all offer different things, and are all very different players but fitting into a similar roles, as medium types that can hit scoreboard and offer different attributes around the ground. WHE is probably the form player out of the 3 of them, but is coming of an injury, while Lippa is the player currently in the side, and the best midfielder of the 3 (if required to provide an extra number at the contest). In contrast Ginni is the pure forward and probably the biggest chance of winning a game of his boot, but offers the least around the ground out of the trio. Ultimately I think only 1 of them makes it into the final side, and whoever plays well over the next 2-3 games will probably hold their spot.

What are the odds that we as a team who have been copping almost weekly injuries all season, are now on the verge of being at full strength leading into finals all while everyone around us has players dropping like flies?

Even a team like Brisbane which has been kissed on the D with injury luck for 2 seasons even has copped a tragic injury to a key young player.

Fair to say we are farkin due!!

Sick on listening to every media outlet talking down or talking up how we can be beaten - yeah there are accolades as well but gee totally disrespectful and shear sign of panic from the AFL opposition w***ers.

It's hilarious.

Time and time again we prove that footy matches aren't won via a Champion Data spreadsheet.

They are won on the farkin scoreboard!

Will be very interesting to see how selection goes this week - I'd hazard a guess and say if you're not yet locked in the team, then Friday and next week against Hawthorn will be your last chances to do so, as I doubt we will see much more tinkering/trialing of things in our last 3 games against the Cats, Lions and Bombers.

I imagine the club would be using those last three rounds to really have the team humming into the first week of finals and would not be planning on making too many changes between then and ideally the GF (injuries off course being the caveat, this is Collingwood after all). Imo there are 2 small battles going on atm for the last 2-3 spots in the side that being:

Cox v AJ v Frampton v Howe - I see it as 4 trying to fit into 2 places in the side. Howe is a strange mention here, but Frampton's size can't be ignored against the likes of a Brisbane/Geelong, and while Howe/Frampton can co-exist in the same 23, I can't see both of them being in a team that also has Cox/AJ in it. Cox has the head start over AJ currently (and has a track record in finals), but AJ is the form player atm and would chomping at the chance to break into the AFL side after being unlucky in being sent back to the VFL last week. Ultimately I think it will be Howe and the other 3 fighting it out for the final spot.

The other battle imo is Lippa v Ginni v WHE. They all offer different things, and are all very different players but fitting into a similar roles, as medium types that can hit scoreboard and offer different attributes around the ground. WHE is probably the form player out of the 3 of them, but is coming of an injury, while Lippa is the player currently in the side, and the best midfielder of the 3 (if required to provide an extra number at the contest). In contrast Ginni is the pure forward and probably the biggest chance of winning a game of his boot, but offers the least around the ground out of the trio. Ultimately I think only 1 of them makes it into the final side, and whoever plays well over the next 2-3 games will probably hold their spot.
Excellent post.

I don’t think they’ll make any changes.
It may already have been said elsewhere, but if we keep winning, we don’t have to play outside Melbourne. Our only road trip (train trip) will be to Marvel.

Just on this.

I know it's a lifeless sh1thole but i hope we pack the joint out for the Lions game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back