List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022-->

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key dates attached so we know what’s going on when.

• Friday 30 September at 9.00am
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency Period commences
Monday 03 October at 9.00am
  • AFL Trade Period commences – Players & Selections
Friday 07 October at 5.00pm
  • Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Monday 10 October
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)
Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
  • AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections
Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
  • AFL Trade Period closes – selections only
Monday 21 November by 3.00pm
  • AFL Draft Nominations close
Monday 28 November at 7.10pm
  • 2022 AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)
  • Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.
Tuesday 29 November
  • AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)
  • 2022 AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)
Wednesday 30 November
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)
Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm
  • Final AFL Club List Lodgement

B is probably the correct rating for us

Also highlights everything that is wrong with the equalisation measures. That this years Premier can acquire 3 former 1st round players, and still have pick 7 in the forthcoming draft is a blight on the system.

We've seen this model on repeat when Hawks were flying and acquiring high end talent through trades and likewise Richmond picked up Lynch, and more recently add back in Taranto and Hopper.

Kudos to Geelong though who have created and environment where players just want to be - lifestyle; success even if they have to play for slight unders.

Then you look at the Aints, who haven't won a flag in 56 years, rarely contend, and there big signing is Zaine Cordy. LOL.

I'm happy enough with our trade period, and the removal of Grundys contract from the books is massive for us, and will give us some more freedom over the next 2-3 years.

Was a really good finish to a good trade period.

We always were going to lose the Henry situation but we were able to improve our position with shrewd moves. Geelong rightly will be rapt. They would have entered yesterday thinking they probably needed to trade Esava for 33, which they didnt want to do, to make the Henry trade happen. Getting Stephens involved, who was of lesser importance and unlikely to break into their midfield, also meant we ended with 27 rather than 33 which looked likely earlier. Stephens to Hawks works with their demographic.

So while losing Henry may really hurt in the future we did a good job of minimising. Geelongs F1 would have been the ideal, they played hardball and took it off the table, their right, but Wrighty will have that in the memory bank and hopefully gets a chance in the future to return in kind.

Reckon McStay and Mitchell are certain best 22, deerrrrr GC, and Hill likely. Strengthens us short term. Dean hopefully locks down FB and at least one of the inexperienced forwards steps up, looking at you Ash. We need that 40+ a year goalkicker we havent had for a decade, desperately. Hill and Giiny also have potential in that area.

Cap fixed, good work GW

I’ve seen a few mention that Crossley would be a nice SSP pickup for a ruck, and I’m inclined to agree on that based on his stats for Southport. Got high 20s, low 30s in hitouts, and can rack up touches too

Speculative. Unless he can improve upon his weaknesses, which he hasn’t in his two years at Collingwood, he’s got just as much chance of being another Daniel Menzel (after knees). A super goal threat, but with no defensive pressure who lets the ball waltz out of the forward line ad nauseum.

Geelong brought in Rohan and Dahlhaus in the same off season to correct their forward pressure, because it was so poor they were getting smashed on the rebound. They'll get to relive those glory days with Henry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys,

Said this in response to a Pies poster on our board who came across with an olive branch, and I'm posting it here in the interest of mending fences as well, as I actually really liked Collingwood this year...and this whole Henry thing came out of nowhere - which turned BF and the wider social discussion into an ugly sh*t fight on both sides.

"I'm actually genuinely happy with this outcome. Eliminates some of the bad blood between clubs (will take a while for it to go away, but the deal was fair for all). We were happy with 25 and 33, and essentially in the end that's what we gave up - if you value Cooper at that pick, which is good all round. Meant you kept 25 and 27 and got Mitchell. Hawthorn got a young talent, and we ended up with Henry without all the nonsense of the draft.

All's well that ends well"

I'm not someone who's said 'Pick 25 hahaha' all along. I actually went on trade radio and said to Rendell that I think it should be Pick 18, and was surprised at how it all played out. In the end, I thought 25 and 33 (Sav) or 25 and a Future 2nd might get it done, and that you'd send one of those picks for Mitchell. In the end, that's pretty much how it worked out - but with Cooper leaving instead of Sav, given our depth in the mids but not down back.

It's been an exhausting trade period, with a lot of chinese whispers and not much fact at all. Both clubs valued Ollie differently in terms of where their list is at, but both clubs did what was right by them - and I actually think we can all say that we got a decent end, but not a perfect one for either side...which is generally when you know a trade is pretty fair all around.

Like last time, I won't outstay my welcome as I'm just passing this on...but hopefully we move on and have a fierce match next year.

Good luck in 2023,

Shadow
Good post. Dont think its even though. Cats got the best of this pretty easily and did play hard ball. Thats ok, dont blame them. Would have come back a bit to us if F1 stayed on the table. If the boots on the other foot in the future we will happily press the advantage in turn.

Its done now so no biggie. It might stoke a bit of a rivalry because, despite some big matches in the last 15 years, there doesnt ever developed any real rivalry between Coll and Geel. Its never a match anyone looks forward to or checks the fixture to see when we play, like we do with Carl, Ess or Rich and you do with Hawks and maybe others.

Thanks for the post.

Yes overall we have done well to address some list weaknesses.

Still think teams will continue to have us on the arse end of the deals moving forward which is disappointing.

I think we just got the absolute best out of an ordinary situation. It looked like we'd lose our 2nd for Mitchell and keep a player that didn't want to be here or lose him for nothing. Instead we managed to get Mitchell, keep two 2nd rounders and forced Geelong lose a pound of flesh in the process. Not to be overlooked we have corrected our salary cap issues. We're well placed not to be pushovers in the future is my read.

Was a really good finish to a good trade period.

We always were going to lose the Henry situation but we were able to improve our position with shrewd moves. Geelong rightly will be rapt. They would have entered yesterday thinking they probably needed to trade Esava for 33, which they didnt want to do, to make the Henry trade happen. Getting Stephens involved, who was of lesser importance and unlikely to break into their midfield, also meant we ended with 27 rather than 33 which looked likely earlier. Stephens to Hawks works with their demographic.

So while losing Henry may really hurt in the future we did a good job of minimising. Geelongs F1 would have been the ideal, they played hardball and took it off the table, their right, but Wrighty will have that in the memory bank and hopefully gets a chance in the future to return in kind.

Reckon McStay and Mitchell are certain best 22, deerrrrr GC, and Hill likely. Strengthens us short term. Dean hopefully locks down FB and at least one of the inexperienced forwards steps up, looking at you Ash. We need that 40+ a year goalkicker we havent had for a decade, desperately. Hill and Giiny also have potential in that area.

Cap fixed, good work GW
What I like about GW is there's no fuss or fanfare, no posturing or hysterics he just goes quietly about his work and gets the job done.

Sam Edmund is such a spud. "How about Collingwood, they weren't going to budge (on pick 25), they weren't going to budge, they weren't going touy budge,Gthey weren't going to budge... they budged and took 25 for Henry"

This is whilst they were talking about it as a 3-way trade, so it's not like he didn't know.

He comes across as Mr Nice Guy but he hates the Pies and is also a campaigner like Ralph.

Good post. Dont think its even though. Cats got the best of this pretty easily and did play hard ball. Thats ok, dont blame them. Would have come back a bit to us if F1 stayed on the table. If the boots on the other foot in the future we will happily press the advantage in turn.

Its done now so no biggie. It might stoke a bit of a rivalry because, despite some big matches in the last 15 years, there doesnt ever developed any real rivalry between Coll and Geel. Its never a match anyone looks forward to or checks the fixture to see when we play, like we do with Carl, Ess or Rich and you do with Hawks and maybe others.

Thanks for the post.
I believe many will this year, I have no issue with their result but I won't ever forget or forgive the manner they went about it and I don't believe many others will either.

As a general rule I think we did reasonably well. The only critical piece I have is Bobby Hill, he’s simply not worth a second round pick, especially in a strong draft and I really question what role he plays in our side, but hey we’ll see.

The back end of McStay’s deal will be insignificant once the new rights come in so no need to worry about that and he’s a clear upgrade on Cox, Frampton addresses a key need and I’m relatively bullish on Mitchell with my performance and injury concerns with Adams.

Would have liked to have kept Henry, but we left that situation with a better return than I thought we get. Grundy I didn’t want to sign years ago so glad to finally see the back of him and the financial terms seem favourable which should have been the priority.

I just don’t really rate much of our young talent, and don’t like picks 25 and 27 at all and we have few picks next year, I’m concerned how we get quality kids into the club and thought we could somehow address that this year but if anything we’re further away. Hopefully there’s something we can package those two up for, we can trade picks up until the draft yeah?

Yeah you're right. Daicos, Quaynor, McCreery, Ginnivan etc are no good.

I’ve seen a few mention that Crossley would be a nice SSP pickup for a ruck, and I’m inclined to agree on that based on his stats for Southport. Got high 20s, low 30s in hitouts, and can rack up touches too
His issue has never been talent. Just application (and decision-making: see doing cocaine on gameday).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back