List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022-->

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key dates attached so we know what’s going on when.

• Friday 30 September at 9.00am
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency Period commences
Monday 03 October at 9.00am
  • AFL Trade Period commences – Players & Selections
Friday 07 October at 5.00pm
  • Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Monday 10 October
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)
Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
  • AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections
Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
  • AFL Trade Period closes – selections only
Monday 21 November by 3.00pm
  • AFL Draft Nominations close
Monday 28 November at 7.10pm
  • 2022 AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)
  • Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.
Tuesday 29 November
  • AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)
  • 2022 AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)
Wednesday 30 November
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)
Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm
  • Final AFL Club List Lodgement

In the interview with GW released on the pies website tonight he said that we may pick up a ruck in the draft/by other means. Do you guys know of any uncontacted rucks that would be available?

On RMX3201 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don’t see that as a big gap we don’t need to deviate from taking the best player available.

We’ve moved away from having a top tier ruckman as a strategy, so we have to live with that. Cox and Cameron are very good options, we have pinch backups in Kreuger and Frampton if one of those go down.

Begg is developing. And if we ever decided to go back to a top tier ruck strategy, we could always throw Moore in there and get a Brownlow at the same time.

For me it’s always best available at the draft, we should try get into the top 10 and target the most impactful player no matter the position.

I’d give us a B in acquisitions, but I’d give Wright a C- if that makes sense.

I don’t mind the additions, but outside of Mitchell, I feel Wright made mistakes with contract length and what we gave up picks wise.

McStay will just be a reliable player, improves us slightly, but 5 years was too many, should have been 3, given we weren’t in a bidding war with anyone and his age. Too generous from Wright.

Hill I rate, and is our only addition with scope to improve significantly. But giving up that future second was too generous from Wright.

As was giving up a future 3rd for an inconsistent bloke on the scrapheap(Frampton). Giving him 3 years it’s 1 too many. Again Wright was too generous.

Mitchell great get, didn’t give up much, fills a massive hole in our list. Good work by Wright.

Losing picks in a strong draft(2023) and gaining picks in a weak draft(2022), not good.

I’m content with the additions, it’s nothing special, just solid moves that all make sense and we were hindered by circumstances. Not impressed by the way Wright chose to acquire them. His eagerness to pay overs was a hallmark of his Hawthorn days, and it’s continued in this trade period.

I don’t mind the additions, but outside of Mitchell, I feel Wright made mistakes with contract length and what we gave up picks wise.

McStay will just be a reliable player, improves us slightly, but 5 years was too many, should have been 3, given we weren’t in a bidding war with anyone and his age. Too generous from Wright.

Hill I rate, and is our only addition with scope to improve significantly. But giving up that future second was too generous from Wright.

As was giving up a future 3rd for an inconsistent bloke on the scrapheap(Frampton). Giving him 3 years it’s 1 too many. Again Wright was too generous.

Mitchell great get, didn’t give up much, fills a massive hole in our list. Good work by Wright.

Losing picks in a strong draft(2023) and gaining picks in a weak draft(2022), not good.

I’m content with the additions, it’s nothing special, just solid moves that all make sense and we were hindered by circumstances. Not impressed by the way Wright chose to acquire them. His eagerness to pay overs was a hallmark of his Hawthorn days, and it’s continued in this trade period.
All our additions potentially make us better. Hill will suit our style and MCG. Frampton is a key back and looks good there. Mcstay is a battler but I mean that in a good sense. Mitchell is needed in the middle
Henry is a huge loss we were bent over and wish we let him walk and get them done for draft tampering.

We currently have 32 seniors contracted. When Noble is upgraded will be 33.

So if we sign poulter, we take 2 players at the draft

If we dont. We can take 3 players.
We also have the option of signing Poulter and still take 3 picks in the Draft. Go 37-5 or move Poulter or another player to a rookie after the National Draft
Doubt Poulter is re-signed , think we will take 4 picks to the Draft and make a decision on the last pick later on as there are a number of options with what to do with it.

Last edited:
You lose a bet with the gws colours on your profile?

I don’t know what happened but I never would have chosen it when setting up my profile. And now it. won’t let me change it. I could probably contact BF etc but CBF. Everyone knows I’m a pie man.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We currently have 32 seniors contracted. When Noble is upgraded will be 33.

So if we sign poulter, we take 2 players at the draft

If we dont. We can take 3 players.

I’m a big fan of Poulter’s potential. What’s he like on the training track Jen?

In the cold, wet light of the next day I reckon this is a pretty sensible analysis. Disagree with Hill who I think is probably worth pick 40 or so (future second). A mate who is a mad Lions supporter reckons McStay is inconsistent, which bothers me in a Cox type of way, so 5 years does seem a bit heavy. Frampton is puzzling in that he couldn’t get much of a game in years at a crap club. Gutted about Henry wanting to go, but not gutted about him going. As Roy Keane said one time, “if a player doesn’t want to play with us I’ll personally drive him to the airport.” They need to have that Mihochek-style fierce desire to succeed.

The bottom line, and I’ve said this before, is “IN GW WE TRUST.” Even the best decision makers get 2/10 decisions wrong, or at least not completely Wright, but the good news is he is a catalyst, a change maker, and other clubs will want to do business with us.

I don’t know what happened but I never would have chosen it when setting up my profile. And now it. won’t let me change it. I could probably contact BF etc but CBF. Everyone knows I’m a pie man.

I think we can tell, Werner lying on the ground and the 42 jumper avatar in front of his handy work. Speaks volumes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I meant it more from the perspective of not having much depth there. Cameron wouldn't want to get nicked up and have to miss games during the season because we'd be in a spot of bother.
Without doubt we need to get in another competent ready to go ruck. Perhaps in the mid season draft and with our much improved cap perhaps look to draft in a young ruck with potential in the '23 draft.

He does more than that - his intense drive both on the training track and on game day will be an inspiration and strong role model for our young mids.

I hope you’re right. I’m ambivalent about Mitchell, but if he can help us over the next two years while our young kids develop, then he will have served his purpose.

I have faith that we already have some good future mids developing. I’m also concerned about Adam’s body holding up. Hence Mitchell.

I hope you’re right. I’m ambivalent about Mitchell, but if he can help us over the next two years while our young kids develop, then he will have served his purpose.

I have faith that we already have some good future mids developing. I’m also concerned about Adam’s body holding up. Hence Mitchell.
Time will tell the tale VP at the very least he gives us increased first use and adds much needed experience.

We’ve moved away from having a top tier ruckman as a strategy, so we have to live with that. Cox and Cameron are very

we could always throw Moore in there and get a Brownlow at the same time.
This is like taking your Porsche pig hunting

We don’t want Moore’s PCL banged-up

This is a good example of the pointlessness of using the points without a FS. We’re not going to use 51 unless one of 25 or 27 is traded out or both are traded up. From that list I’d prefer the draft hand of every team below us with a 1st Rd pick except Melbourne…

In total or per annum?

Great either way with Collingwood only paying 150 for Grundy and the Treloar subsidy likely gone too.
In total. He only has one year to run on his Hawthorn deal. More fool anyone who believes anything from randoms on a forum because that stuff doesn’t come out that quickly.

This shows how a real team of professional's trade and set up a club for the future.
Kept JDG,
Got the 4 players we targeted,
Offloaded Grundy and his contract - and more importantly his Cap hit will be over after 2023 (that is huge),
Kept 3 picks inside the top 27.
2023 Trade will be even better due to the setup of this year.
Great job Pies.

This is a good example of the pointlessness of using the points without a FS. We’re not going to use 51 unless one of 25 or 27 is traded out or both are traded up. From that list I’d prefer the draft hand of every team below us with a 1st Rd pick except Melbourne…

Yep 51 is just a backup should it turn out to be our third best pick. No big deal if it expires worthless, three picks in the top 27 is pretty good for a team that finished fourth.

Collingwood was never strategising to improve its draft hand though…. They strategised to add players to the list to improve depth and areas of weakness. Which is what they have done….

We’re not going to use 51 unless one of 25 or 27 is traded out or both are traded up.
May also take 3 players and use 51 to upgrade Noble.
We will know more about their thinking once our delistings are announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back