List Mgmt. 2024 Season final list (post trade & draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

With 6 players departing (5 senior, 1 Cat B), 1 addition via trade, assuming 3 draftees…we will have 1-2 list spots open for DFA or SSP.
Should we consider James Stewart?
Delisted, contracted for 2024, hence Essendon will pay his salary next year.
Absolute free hit.
Offer him a 1 year deal with triggers.
199cm 99kg
78 games 70 goals
Key Forward/Back.
Break glass option if we lose Murphy or any other Injuries to Key Defenders or Forwards.
I would roll the dice on him.

A new thread discussing the merits of potentially recruiting James Stewart?

You’d have me believing we were in the midst of an apocalypse.

FFS

GIF by Giphy QA

With 6 players departing (5 senior, 1 Cat B), 1 addition via trade, assuming 3 draftees…we will have 1-2 list spots open for DFA or SSP.
Should we consider James Stewart?
Delisted, contracted for 2024, hence Essendon will pay his salary next year.
Absolute free hit.
Offer him a 1 year deal with triggers.
199cm 99kg
78 games 70 goals
Key Forward/Back.
Break glass option if we lose Murphy or any other Injuries to Key Defenders or Forwards.
I would roll the dice on him.

Stewart doesn’t like us because we didn’t take him as a FS all those years ago. Do I have the right Stewart?

Stewart doesn’t like us because we didn’t take him as a FS all those years ago. Do I have the right Stewart?
I think we're talking about this James Stewart:

1698017350680.png

He'd be Cat B. And we wouldn't have to pay him as he's dead, so no risk. I'd consider Marilyn Monroe too.

Yes, that’s him.
I thought it was his dad (RIP) wasn’t happy that Collingwood informed young James that they wouldn’t be taking him as a Father Son nomination…during VCE exam week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

October 31 was the date for first list lodgement - we all know the ins and outs of the trade period and the clubs' culling of players, but it was also the date that rookie upgrades were to be announced. Nothing on the AFL website. It would be nice to know exactly how our list stands. The pure numbers are - Started with 44, 8 players traded/ delisted and one traded in. So now we have 37. Reports are that we are only going to use 2 national draft picks. So that leaves up to 5 from other sources - Delisted free agents, Rookie draft & SSP.

October 31 was the date for first list lodgement - we all know the ins and outs of the trade period and the clubs' culling of players, but it was also the date that rookie upgrades were to be announced. Nothing on the AFL website. It would be nice to know exactly how our list stands. The pure numbers are - Started with 44, 8 players traded/ delisted and one traded in. So now we have 37. Reports are that we are only going to use 2 national draft picks. So that leaves up to 5 from other sources - Delisted free agents, Rookie draft & SSP.

The important number is 42. Without Cat B, that's as high as we can go unless someone gets placed on the inactive list.

2 in the draft would mean upto 3 from other sources. Unless we sign a DFA, I think we're more likely to go with 3 in the draft. I know that is contrary to the reported rumours, but adding 3 through SSP seems unlikely to me - and I don't know why we'd use the rookie draft - we don't tend to add blokes on one year unless experienced.

Last edited:
The important number is 42. Without Cat B, that's as high as we can go unless someone gets placed on the inactive list.

2 in the draft would mean upto 3 from other sources. Unless we sign a DFA, I think we're more likely to go with 3 in the draft. I know that is contrary to the reported rumours, but adding 3 through SSP seems unlikely to me - and I don't know why we'd use the rookie draft - we don't tend to add blokes on one year unless experienced.
Every chance we hold a spot open for the MSD.
No point taking someone just for the sake of it....so i'd be ok with holding a spot for MSD next year.

Going by your figures we may have quite a few training with us over summer if this is the case I hope Weckert is one of them.
With 7 spots open we may well take 3 at the ND even if our third pick is in the Eighties it may well come in the late 60,s or so seeing as there maybe less picks at that stage.

I think our scouts have been out and about looking at all different ways of bringing new players in.

Going by your figures we may have quite a few training with us over summer if this is the case I hope Weckert is one of them.
With 7 spots open we may well take 3 at the ND even if our third pick is in the Eighties it may well come in the late 60,s or so seeing as there maybe less picks at that stage.

I think our scouts have been out and about looking at all different ways of bringing new players in.
It's 5 spots open, unless you include Cat B.

It's 5 spots open, unless you include Cat B.
Ignoring Cat.B we have 6 spots available on the list of 42. Who is a rookie is fairly unimportant these days
Some current rookies will be promoted to reduce the number of ND selections we take

I thought it was 5?
Definitely 5 - last year we had numbers 1-46, less numbers 34, 42 & 43 (Charlie Dean LTI) making 43. Category B (Tom Wilson) means one less available spot, unless we acquire another Cat B.

I thought it was 5?
This could all be wide of the mark because it’s the area I struggle with most, but I’ve got 5 as well.

Out: Adams, Ginnivan, Bianco, Ruscoe, Kelly, Draper and Murley
In: Schultz and Markov

My guess is the “6th” being referred to is Markov?

My guess at where to from here is 3 ND selections and 2 promoted rookies (AJ and Markov) which I think fills the 36 senior list spots. Then 2 SSP rookies replacing Murley and AJ. I suspect we’d have heard by now if we were planning a DFA recruit and it’s not our style anyway, IMO.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Josh Eyre on our senior list in 2024. He showed real promise in the VFL down back and we definitely need to cover off Murphy as he is a ticking time bomb. He might make it without any problems but concussions are no joke.
Is Eyre a dfa? Wasn’t he on the bombers senior list?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Josh Eyre on our senior list in 2024. He showed real promise in the VFL down back and we definitely need to cover off Murphy as he is a ticking time bomb. He might make it without any problems but concussions are no joke.
Is Eyre a dfa? Wasn’t he on the bombers senior list?
I think he was on their senior list. They picked him up as part of their NGA.
He has nominated for the draft.
I agree, he showed real promise in his VFL games this year, and he's just turned 21.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back