Strategy List build: Draft, trade 2024-

Remove this Banner Ad

Members of Collingwood's leadership group, Lauren Butler and Mikala Cann alongside Irish cross coder Sarah Rowe, have penned fresh three-year deals to remain Magpies until at least the end of 2026.

The Club’s 2023 Best First Year Player, Grace Campbell has inked a two-year contract, while AFLW foundation players Lauren Brazzale and Davey have signed one-year extensions.

Why give your captain 1 year? Unless its on top of whatever contract she is on now, so maybe like an extension?

I reckon this has been a good trade period.
Yeah we lost some experience with braz and delisted casey with some, and traded brown, but we bought in a couple players who will help a new look line up, and came from it with pick 8, 9 and 29.

Hopefully, they can now bring in some size with those picks?

Sad to see Braz depart but that’s aflw currently. A couple of picks upgrade and Hyde seems unders but Braz is getting on and Hyde is young. Don’t know much about Hyde but look forward to seeing what she’ll bring in 2024.

Goodluck to the girls today for the draft. Hopefully we can get some elite talent in with picks 8 and 9.
Still find it strange to be having a draft during Christmas week. I guess it keeps footy in the news practically right through to the end of the year!!....

Goodluck to the girls today for the draft. Hopefully we can get some elite talent in with picks 8 and 9.
Still find it strange to be having a draft during Christmas week. I guess it keeps footy in the news practically right through to the end of the year!!....

This is a critical draft for us to get right.

The girls we’ve brought to the club in the last few weeks, and the trading that’s been going on - feels like rearranging the deck chairs to me. Meaning I’m not sure that we’ve improved our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The girls we’ve brought to the club in the last few weeks, and the trading that’s been going on - feels like rearranging the deck chairs to me. Meaning I’m not sure that we’ve improved our list.
Personally I'm looking at some of the list we have let go or wanted to move on. Apart of Braz, which I understand she wanted to go for a family, I think we've done ok.

when do they announce the new coach though!?!?!?

Personally I'm looking at some of the list we have let go or wanted to move on. Apart of Braz, which I understand she wanted to go for a family, I think we've done ok.

when do they announce the new coach though!?!?!?

I hope the drag on appointing the new coach is because we have a big one in our sights and are doing the groundwork and negotiations to nab him or her. Either that, or the cupboard is bare and we can’t find anyone suitable. The latter would be dire.

I hope the drag on appointing the new coach is because we have a big one in our sights and are doing the groundwork and negotiations to nab him or her. Either that, or the cupboard is bare and we can’t find anyone suitable. The latter would be dire.

Pretty sure Daisy Pearce was available when we were going about our search. I feel we didn't even ask her the question about coaching, as l'm sure she would’ve preferred to coach a Victorian side, rather than move over to the other side of the country. Maybe she was too expensive 🤔

Hi all, you are all welcome to join the AFLW Draft night discussion over on the main AFLW Board

Pretty sure Daisy Pearce was available when we were going about our search. I feel we didn't even ask her the question about coaching, as l'm sure she would’ve preferred to coach a Victorian side, rather than move over to the other side of the country. Maybe she was too expensive 🤔
Daisy is a champion, there is no question about that but she's only been in the coaching system for 1 yr. Not entirely sure we could afford letting her cut her teeth (or any other young coach). Just my opinion and gladly wear egg on my face if Wet Toast turn it around in under a year. I reckon we'd be looking for a coach that could look at our list and say yep ... back to finals in 2024.

There was probably 4 girls in the top 10 that had ACL's .... which is a surprise ... and yeah we picked up 2 of them. Fingers crossed 🤞

Unfortunately with ACL's in the AFLW, it's just a matter of fingers crossed that they don't do it again, but the number of girls that do their ACL's at the level, it's going to be a bit of.....🫣🫣

Looks like we have gone for need, not the best available. Clark is probably the best rated pick of ours. She was a possibility to go between 10 and 15, whilst Cronin and Schutte are "bolters" in terms of where they were expected to go.
I really hope these girls can come in and make an impact next year, but l think they're all going to take a season or two to have some sort of meaningful impact to the side.
Well done to the girls on getting drafted, and to a great club. Looking forward to seeing how their careers develop over the next couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back