Strategy List build: Draft, trade 2024-

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know how true it is, but ive got a friend who claims Craig Kelly has zero interest in the womens program and doesn't want to put money into it, or has any care if its successful or not. Only cares about the mens, as thats where the money is.

I would hate to think that's true though.

I don't think it has a great reputation at all, almost as if the programs is an afterthought at times. Partly cause I think the club just thought it would all come together because it's Collingwood.

I was following North during the finals campaign closely and seeing the culture they're working to build with the W program really becoming embraced by the wider club and not viewed as a separate entity. They had Clarko and Liam Shiels spending time with them in the lead up to the GF. They had a lot of the mens players at games S well to support them. They've got a really good coach in Darren Crocker, a great leader in Emma Kearney, and good players in Garner, Riddell and Bruton to name a few. And we can talk all we like about how they got those players when they first came into the comp, but you still have to build and develop a culture.

North is what we need to become more. I don't have an answer for how we do that though.
I don't think its been an afterthought.
If you look at media and the promotion of the players, they are pushed a lot by the club.

But i think internally, we've struggled with professional standards (not fit etc) and that probably starts with the coach & head of football.

With no coach, its hard to be attractive in the off season as that's usually what has a big say in players moving.
It impossible to rebuild via the draft in Vic (yes i sound like a broken record). So unfortunately for us it's just patience and try and set the standards on the right path.
Once the state based rubbish is removed....then its fairer for everyone and clubs can plan a lot easier on how to re-build.

I saw we are looking to sign another Irish recruit.
Which TBH is one of the only avenues we can take to refresh the playing list.

The playing list is very poor. But i think that was compounded by the game style we played.

Biggest change we can make is to sort out the off field parts of the club (coach, S&C, FD department in general) and then let it flow from there. Get the off field right, make some tough calls on staff.....

I made the comment a few weeks back that we can't blow it all up.....but now i'm coming around to the idea.

I don't know how true it is, but ive got a friend who claims Craig Kelly has zero interest in the womens program and doesn't want to put money into it, or has any care if its successful or not. Only cares about the mens, as thats where the money is.

Nah no way that's true.
Listen to an interview he did recently.

He spoke about slowing down the expansion and growth because the money isn't there.
Very sensible from a CEO to be taking the longer view.

It was never about 'i don't care'....it was about whether the spending is sustainable.
Which is exactly what i want the CEO to be focused on.

What changes we make to the off field staff will say a lot....

The way we go about our want to encourage the better players in the competition to come to our club with some form of incentive, that comment about the club not bothered if the programme is successful or not, wouldn't surprise me, but in saying that, we would have had a mass exodus of players, if that was known inside the four walls....

COLLINGWOOD is set to sign Irishwoman Muireann Atkinson as a cross-sport rookie.

The 26-year-old Gaelic footballer, who is captain of Monaghan, is no stranger to AFLW having been a train-on at Sydney in 2023, lining up for a few scrimmages with unselected players.

Standing at 174cm, Atkinson is an athletic and aggressive player who relishes the contact side of the game.

She can kick on both sides, and has a neat sidestep when evading traffic.

Atkinson previously linked up with new Collingwood teammates Sarah Rowe and Aishling Sheridan (along with Geelong's Aishling Moloney) at Dublin City University, living and playing football together.

Both Sydney and Collingwood have had a successful history with Irish recruits, with Rowe having played for the Pies since 2019 and Sheridan joining the following year.

The Swans signed an Irish quartet for 2023, bringing in Paris McCarthy, Julie O'Sullivan, Tanya Kennedy (who was already playing in the AFL Sydney competition) and the now-delisted Jenny Higgins.

The AFLW Trade Period opens on Thursday, and runs for one week.

Nah no way that's true.
Listen to an interview he did recently.

He spoke about slowing down the expansion and growth because the money isn't there.
Very sensible from a CEO to be taking the longer view.

It was never about 'i don't care'....it was about whether the spending is sustainable.
Which is exactly what i want the CEO to be focused on.

What changes we make to the off field staff will say a lot....
Honestly, the way we lost Chloe Malloy for nothing still pisses me off.

It felt very mickey mouse & perhaps didn't exactly put the comp in the best light with the incoming CEO either.

Honestly, the way we lost Chloe Malloy for nothing still pisses me off.

It felt very mickey mouse & perhaps didn't exactly put the comp in the best light with the incoming CEO either.
Pick 11, but we werent the only one to lose a player in that expansion. Suppose it was like FA where you get a compo pick.

Sophie Casey was a bit stiff. The others l can understand, and probably would have been the ones l had as possible delistings.....
Absolutely stiff. Bad decision Casey still a good lock down unselfish player, hard at it sets the tone. I'm not sure who is making the decisions because I'm sure she would be picked early in each pre game team meeting.
Meanwhile while I like her and respect what she has done Livingston stays????She has lost pace and fitness and is going backwards quickly.
We also extend Sabrina's contract for as reward for a few mediocre games in one year.
I'm sorry I don't have much confidence in who is running things at the moment.
If they don't start making good decisions our quality players will look to go elswhere very shortly I'm afraid and we will become the New Bulldogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sophie Casey was a bit stiff. The others l can understand, and probably would have been the ones l had as possible delistings.....
I'm not even sure I can understand Casey. Maybe one more year and that was it for her but surely if anyone looked gone it was Livingstone.

Don't have much to add about Evans. Thought Lin was somewhat unlucky. Had youth on her side and could've benefitted from consistent game time. Barber just seems like a waste. Had height and mobility yet ignored and stuck behind Frederick and Fowler (unless she was injured).

For all the talk about how good Sabrina was this year (personally I don't think she was actually), after so many mediocre seasons I guess the bar was actually that low.

Absolutely stiff. Bad decision Casey still a good lock down unselfish player, hard at it sets the tone. I'm not sure who is making the decisions because I'm sure she would be picked early in each pre game team meeting.
Meanwhile while I like her and respect what she has done Livingston stays????She has lost pace and fitness and is going backwards quickly.
We also extend Sabrina's contract for as reward for a few mediocre games in one year.
I'm sorry I don't have much confidence in who is running things at the moment.
If they don't start making good decisions our quality players will look to go elswhere very shortly I'm afraid and we will become the New Bulldogs.

Agree, l dont understand getting rid of Casey, and keeping Livingstone and a player like Fowler for that matter.
Frederick had a reasonable season, for at least another 12 month contract, but definitely not the two years we have given her.
As l said before l don't really understand our trading and list management decisions in the AFLW space.

can understand the casey decision ..... has slowed considerably and wasnt great on transition (turnovers being one of her issues) .... if it was a choice between her and livingstone then theyve probably made the right call

shame about lin .... had pace (still remember her first game at vic park where she took off down the outer wing at one point burning off her opponent) ..... added one-on-one defensive pressure in subsequent seasons and was prepared to gut run off the wing often ending up in a sweeper role behind livingstone when stacey was dragged forward by her opponent ..... just never seemed able to put it all together at the one time* .... hopefully she finds another club

[edit] * injuries didnt help

Last edited:
I don't get how we have strengthened our selections.

Only moved up two and lost 29 for picks in the 40's and 60's, unless of course there is a gem there.

The Pies have acquired pick 9 in exchange for picks 11 and 29 which were given to the Tigers.

Collingwood now has picks 8, 9, 48 and 68 in the 2023 NAB AFLW Draft.

I don't get how we have strengthened our selections.

Only moved up two and lost 29 for picks in the 40's and 60's, unless of course there is a gem there.

The Pies have acquired pick 9 in exchange for picks 11 and 29 which were given to the Tigers.

Collingwood now has picks 8, 9, 48 and 68 in the 2023 NAB AFLW Draft.
Pie 4 Life doesn't think that pick 29 would be much use anyway

Might be more having a couple picks in the top 10

Apparantely the draft might be pretty even after the top 20.

Te prelistings of the U18 girls to the expansions hasn't helped this draft, tbf. That really was not needed.

Pie 4 Life doesn't think that pick 29 would be much use anyway

Might be more having a couple picks in the top 10

Apparantely the draft might be pretty even after the top 20.

Te prelistings of the U18 girls to the expansions hasn't helped this draft, tbf. That really was not needed.
I wouldn't worry about anything outside the top 20 tbh, thins out to be not much difference between say 20 and 40. Getting ahead of a couple of teams could make a huge difference. Get a couple of players who could genuinely turn into something special rather than one and a big hit miss. Next year far more depth, I'd hope for a bigger clear out in 2024 to bring in the talent that will be straight away pushing for spots rather than pick too many this year.

I wouldn't worry about anything outside the top 20 tbh, thins out to be not much difference between say 20 and 40. Getting ahead of a couple of teams could make a huge difference. Get a couple of players who could genuinely turn into something special rather than one and a big hit miss. Next year far more depth, I'd hope for a bigger clear out in 2024 to bring in the talent that will be straight away pushing for spots rather than pick too many this year.
Agreed. More real top end talent is what we need, rather than speculative picks that are 50/50
We haven't had any top 10 (because we were always good.. but yet, not good enough, and then we would then trade our picks anyway thinking we were in the window, but it was false) since 2018. Long time since then.. and we've fallen away from the pack.

I agree more of a cleanout is needed next year. Probably couldn't go too fast too soon, because you need to replace those list spots. Probably why they only cut one of casey/livingstone this year.

But seems they are willingly to go this route. Would be nice if we had a coach at some point, to have some input with the draft. But given pre-season isn't for another 6 months I think, they have time.

Agreed. More real top end talent is what we need, rather than speculative picks that are 50/50
We haven't had any top 10 (because we were always good.. but yet, not good enough, and then we would then trade our picks anyway thinking we were in the window, but it was false) since 2018. Long time since then.. and we've fallen away from the pack.

I agree more of a cleanout is needed next year. Probably couldn't go too fast too soon, because you need to replace those list spots. Probably why they only cut one of casey/livingstone this year.

But seems they are willingly to go this route. Would be nice if we had a coach at some point, to have some input with the draft. But given pre-season isn't for another 6 months I think, they have time.
Honestly I couldn't care if we finished bottom next year (or bottom Vic depending on if they pull the trigger on full national), would guarantee us a kid called Ash Centra who is one of the best kicks I've seen (male or female) and honestly would come straight in as a top 20 in the league type player on ability. If there's going to be a down year (and in a non-compromised draft) the next year is a good one. 2007 also shaping up pretty strong, particularly at the top-end.

Maybe the idea is to get pick 28 from Carlton (who also currently hold pick 25) in exchange for Tarni Brown.

Kodi Jacques and Molly Eastman, in separate deals, were both traded for pick 27 last year so that value stacks up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back