Strategy List build: Draft, trade 2024-

Remove this Banner Ad

Clark isn't a key forward, more a 2nd or 3rd tall in the F50
Given girls in this league arent very tall, in the 170's is still pretty tall.
Barnett is 176, Livingstone 176, Morris Dalton 176
Would we prefer she be 180? for sure, but key forward in AFLW ranges.

Was hoping for both Barwick and Grigg at our top 10 picks. Bloody Doggies. Look forward now to seeing what Cronin and Clark bring to the side in 2024.

Was hoping for both Barwick and Grigg at our top 10 picks. Bloody Doggies. Look forward now to seeing what Cronin and Clark bring to the side in 2024.
I think we did pretty well nonetheless, got some KP stocks at either end. Both clearly of need. And the other pick we went with pace, which we clearly need.

image1_-mN0AFZllM.jpg

COLLINGWOOD​

8. Georgie Clark (Forward, Glenorchy)
9. Lucille Cronin (Key defender, Kew)
29. Amber Schutte (Defender, Gippsland)

Collingwood went for a trusty marking target with its first pick and then stunned with top-10 bolter Cronin, who didn’t even feature for Vic Metro this year. It is a bold choice but key defender has some rare attributes and finished the season strongly. With their midfield settled, these talents can help them push for finals in the years to come. They threw in a bid on the old enemy Carlton’s father-daughter selection for good measure.

Looks like we have gone for need, not the best available. Clark is probably the best rated pick of ours. She was a possibility to go between 10 and 15, whilst Cronin and Schutte are "bolters" in terms of where they were expected to go.
I really hope these girls can come in and make an impact next year, but l think they're all going to take a season or two to have some sort of meaningful impact to the side.
Well done to the girls on getting drafted, and to a great club. Looking forward to seeing how their careers develop over the next couple of years.
Not sure how much time or money we spend scouting for new talent
I think Ned prefers to spend the cash on the men’s program

For those who think Pies don't care about AFLW.....you are def onto something here!!

Every other club.
I'll say that again.....every....other....club....has articles up about their new players.
Pies.....nothing.

Yes its a small thing, but it says a lot around the culture where the main avenue of communication is via the web.
Yes they had them on socials....but no staff interviews, no mainstream web content.

Pretty disappointing.

Looks like Nick Davis is a candidate for the coaching job.
Former North Melbourne utility Sam Wright – now an assistant coach with the Roos’ AFLW side – is another being linked by insiders to the Pies’ vacancy.

And ive got friends who arent happy. They have long memories lol

Last edited:
Former North Melbourne utility Sam Wright – now an assistant coach with the Roos’ AFLW side – is another being linked by insiders to the Pies’ vacancy.

Add me to that.

it's behind a paywall .......can you shed any more detail?

EDIT : sorry, just noticed your post in the other thread

1702966576353.png

Last edited:
I'll also post it here

More than two decades after leaving the club for Sydney, Nick Davis is eyeing a homecoming to Collingwood with the Swans premiership hero among the candidates for the vacant Magpies AFLW coaching position.
The Pies are hunting a new coaching for their women’s side after the club parted ways by mutual agreement with South Australian Steve Symonds in November.

Symonds was at the helm for five seasons, taking the club from the bottom of the ladder to four consecutive finals series before missing out this year.

“After careful consideration and discussions with Steve, we came to a mutual agreement not to renew his contract. This decision aligns with the club’s strategic direction and our commitment to developing our elite women’s football programs,” said Collingwood head of football Graham Wright in November.

Davis has experience in both the AFL and AFLW coaching systems. Photo by Phil Hillyard

Davis has experience in both the AFL and AFLW coaching systems. Photo by Phil Hillyard
Davis, 43, is currently Sydney’s AFLW senior assistant, sitting beneath Scott Gowans, who coincidentally held that role under Symonds at the Pies.

Having also held a range of different positions within the club’s men’s and academy programs over the past decade, Davis is understood to be keen to advance his career by taking a senior position and has entered Collingwood’s coaching process.

Should he secure the position, Davis’ career would have gone full circle given his involvement in the professional ranks started a quarter of a century ago when he was drafted by the Pies under the father-son rule, his dad Craig having played for the club in the late 1970s and early ‘80s.

Collingwood was one of four clubs on the hunt for a new AFLW coach this off-season. West Coast has already replaced Michael Prior with Daisy Pearce, while the Western Bulldogs and Hawthorn are looking to fill the spots left by Nathan Burke and Bec Goddard respectively.

For those who think Pies don't care about AFLW.....you are def onto something here!!

Every other club.
I'll say that again.....every....other....club....has articles up about their new players.
Pies.....nothing.

Yes its a small thing, but it says a lot around the culture where the main avenue of communication is via the web.
Yes they had them on socials....but no staff interviews, no mainstream web content.

Pretty disappointing.

The social media stuff is coming through - on a drip feed! But it is happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The social media stuff is coming through - on a drip feed! But it is happening.
Yeah saw all that.
I was commenting that there are no articles on the pies page.

All other teams have at least an article.

The videos and socials can follow…as they now are.

But imagine having no info on new Male draftees 24hrs after the draft.

Speaks volumes that all other clubs have articles, as well as AFL accounts sharing the AFLW content.
Pies look amateur.
Which is surprising.

Look, it’s small stuff, but it does speak to the care factor in some ways IMO.

FYI FWIW, Trent Cooper arrived at the draft with Bri Davey and Britt Bonnici last night… following on from recruiting one of his favourites from Fremantle, Mikayla Hyde.
Love your thoughts on the selections P4L.

My first impression of Cronin is that she has Ruby traits in size, athleticism and kicking (when Ruby was 18).
Can Clark play KPF? Is she tall enough?
Shutte looks like she has the body and burst to play higher up the ground (maybe inside mid if she develops??)

Love your thoughts on the selections P4L.

My first impression of Cronin is that she has Ruby traits in size, athleticism and kicking (when Ruby was 18).
Can Clark play KPF? Is she tall enough?
Shutte looks like she has the body and burst to play higher up the ground (maybe inside mid if she develops??)
Yeah Cronin is also transferable to play KPF so expect her to potentially go there too, and Clark is capable of playing as a leading forward. She might not be tall enough compared to some but we called her “buckets” and “Velcro hands” for a reason.

Schutte is just a developable explosive medium defender who could play higher up as she has a strong frame and is super quick. Has a penetrating right boot just needs to develop that opposite foot and decision making under pressure. Cronin is similar, both rawer types but athleticism and size has them as ones to really develop. Clark could step straight in, doesn’t have that athleticism but is just incredible defensively. The fact she plays over five tackles a game shows she isn’t just a slow forward. She has an enormous tank and competes at ground level too. Her groundballs (cleanliness) need work, but she knows, and she’s going to have a crack no matter what. Absolute lovely kid to-boot as well. Really softly spoken but great kid.

Yeah Cronin is also transferable to play KPF so expect her to potentially go there too, and Clark is capable of playing as a leading forward. She might not be tall enough compared to some but we called her “buckets” and “Velcro hands” for a reason.

Schutte is just a developable explosive medium defender who could play higher up as she has a strong frame and is super quick. Has a penetrating right boot just needs to develop that opposite foot and decision making under pressure. Cronin is similar, both rawer types but athleticism and size has them as ones to really develop. Clark could step straight in, doesn’t have that athleticism but is just incredible defensively. The fact she plays over five tackles a game shows she isn’t just a slow forward. She has an enormous tank and competes at ground level too. Her groundballs (cleanliness) need work, but she knows, and she’s going to have a crack no matter what. Absolute lovely kid to-boot as well. Really softly spoken but great kid.
You fairly satisfied with our picks? Or do you think we could have gone differently?

Great insights.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
We're very lucky to have yourself and others who can provide deeper insights on a much larger sample size.

Looking forward to seeing how they go.

You fairly satisfied with our picks? Or do you think we could have gone differently?
I'm happy with the picks. I'm a little surprised that we traded our second rounder to move up a couple of spots inside the top 10 only to take a player who would have been there likely at that next pick, but on sheer player potential they're all capable of making an impact at AFLW level.

I'm happy with the picks. I'm a little surprised that we traded our second rounder to move up a couple of spots inside the top 10 only to take a player who would have been there likely at that next pick, but on sheer player potential they're all capable of making an impact at AFLW level.
Maybe they traded up thinking someone else was gonna be there, but was taken. But looks like we went for pace and height, two things we need, so can't complain too much.
Given the loss of casey and the age of livingstone, another key defender helps. And a contested marking forward is always nice.

Not unhappy with the pick ups, I particularly like the look of Cronin, moves well good height.
However I was hoping for some midfield help.
Backline is good, forward line needed help and got it with Howarth and Clark.
I think what was once a big strength of ours in the midfield is now a weakness.
With respect to the others, Bri is our only real attacking weapon in there. I think we have to find another to go in there with no Malloy, Lambert etc.
I'd reckon they will keep going with Schleicher in there on occasions.
They did it in the last game v Richmond when she hurt her knee.
Any other candidates from our list??

Not unhappy with the pick ups, I particularly like the look of Cronin, moves well good height.
However I was hoping for some midfield help.
Backline is good, forward line needed help and got it with Howarth and Clark.
I think what was once a big strength of ours in the midfield is now a weakness.
With respect to the others, Bri is our only real attacking weapon in there. I think we have to find another to go in there with no Malloy, Lambert etc.
I'd reckon they will keep going with Schleicher in there on occasions.
They did it in the last game v Richmond when she hurt her knee.
Any other candidates from our list??
Brit did win our bnf, plus I think they like the emerging Cann through the midfield.
But we do need some more big bodied players through the midfield, some pace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back