Preview 1st Semi-final: Geelong vs Collingwood, Sat 10 Oct GABBA @ 7.40pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just realized it’s the left hand
For some reason I thought it was the right
Definite starter!
Ball drop, handball ok

Don't know the extent of this injury but surgery probably means traumatic.
Even moderate sprain at least 3 weeks, worse if ligaments involved.
If was an extensor (ball bends finger back) tendon can be painful and then again, lengthy rehab.

It pains me to say it, but our absolute champion looks a monty to be sidelined.
He seemed down and apologetic on his CH9 news interview tonight, poor bugger.

Chris Fagen, just said a brilliant thing, he said in finals its 90% mental, and 10% physical toughness... and tbh, that's our problem at moment, the players at the moment would mentally think about the finals record, but we need to some how need to stop thinking about it...

Hard to build the mental side and heart and playing for the couch, when the coach hardly speaks to most of the players. Scott is a delegation coach. Leaves the smaller stuff and the talking to other coaches. Fagan strikes me as a bomber coach, a mentor. No wonder they played well the other night as a single driven unit. Hate that my club is the opposite.

Hard to build the mental side and heart and playing for the couch, when the coach hardly speaks to most of the players. Scott is a delegation coach. Leaves the smaller stuff and the talking to other coaches. Fagan strikes me as a bomber coach, a mentor. No wonder they played well the other night as a single driven unit. Hate that my club is the opposite.

Stop torturing yourself - it's simply not true.

Yeah, and it’s why we lose like 90% of our finals. We are mentally shot.

I was thinking along these lines in the aftermath of the game last Thursday. There's no doubting that the talent is there to win finals, but with the constant media pressure about the recent record and performances it would almost certainly be playing on the minds of the players.

Is this a case where we need to invest in sports psychologists over the pre-season to overcome the mental obstacles? Because the older players (who have been with the side for all or most of the bad finals record) are now playing with younger players, who would certainly be influenced by what's happening around them. Eventually they become older, a new wave of younger players comes in and nothing changes, the same mindset will stay unless someone or something comes in to change it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m too disappointed to think about this game really... just can’t believe you throw away another opportunity like that... I really don’t know what we can do to prepare for this game as far as selection or game style, but we have 2 losses in the last 12 months to draw upon and improve upon. I wouldn’t want to play any really young players or debutants, I think esava gets a go and I would love to see Blicavs in the backline but probably too late to swing that change

Can Hawkins actually box or is he a wrestler?
Can't imagine Hawkins could inflict too much damage despite his awesome power and strength. Then again, it is Gary Rohan.

Well he can’t hit a target atm:straining:

Have it your own way, calling bullshit is bullshit. Scott is well regarded by the players.
I happen to know, but even if I didn't, do you think he'd be contracted for so long if he was a bad communicator?

Well regarded by the older vets. The young players he’s probably never spoken to. If the rumours are true.

Chris Fagen, just said a brilliant thing, he said in finals its 90% mental, and 10% physical toughness... and tbh, that's our problem at moment, the players at the moment would mentally think about the finals record, but we need to some how need to stop thinking about it...
It's a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point. The pressure is only going to continue to mount with every poor finals showing - it's obvious as heck, but the only way to get over it is to start performing better when the crunch moments come around. It just sucks massively that it's gotten to the point where it appears previous finals experience is actively hampering us rather than proving beneficial as it would in 99% of cases.

What's the definition of insanity

Oh god, if the players think our style is good enough to win finals, we’re ****ed.

Cmon Geelong, wake up and smell the roses, our game style is not built for finals, to suggest otherwise is just stupid, our record In the past 9 years speaks for itself.

Oh god, if the players think our style is good enough to win finals, we’re f’ed.

Cmon Geelong, wake up and smell the roses, our game style is not built for finals, to suggest otherwise is just stupid, our record In the past 9 years speaks for itself.
I guess much depends on whether you take the broader view on our efforts in the last 9 years. And don't overrate an average playing list in doing so.

I'd have Dangerfield in the guts over Guthrie every day of the week.
Dangerfield signature move is to grab the ball and tear off at breakneck speed on a wide arc only to turn it over. Guthrie is more likely to run straight for 5 to 10m and then deliver it to the advantage of a leading forward. That's why it makes sense to have Danger spend more time forward.

Yes you said it but if you have now changed your mind and do not believe that forward setup is dangerous, so be it. Pretty quick back peddle if you ask me.

I don't agree with your views on our forward setup either.
We are not well balanced at all and we have not been well balanced for about 5+ years? Perhaps even longer.
That is what happens when you do not put the time and effort into developing young key forwards. It is a god send Bomber Thompson was able to believe in Tom Hawkins for so very long. Imagine if he didn't and we ended up trading Hawkins as many were calling for in those early days.

no idea what your talking about because my quote above was talking about crumbing forwards. Your getting yourself all confused quoting my posts and mentioning about some random quote I said from weeks ago That doesn’t relate.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point. The pressure is only going to continue to mount with every poor finals showing - it's obvious as heck, but the only way to get over it is to start performing better when the crunch moments come around. It just sucks massively that it's gotten to the point where it appears previous finals experience is actively hampering us rather than proving beneficial as it would in 99% of cases.
Agree with this.
It’s like the collective set-shot disease. It infects a team until someone can break the spell and then it can disappear in an instant.
Besides, we’ve seen plenty of these blokes deliver under pressure, in finals and close fought H&A games.

Last week we were facing a quick team playing well with their home support up and about... but if Hawk and Stanley nail their first chances, then the mood in the PA camp could have soured very quickly.

Agree with this.
It’s like the collective set-shot disease. It infects a team until someone can break the spell and then it can disappear in an instant.
Besides, we’ve seen plenty of these blokes deliver under pressure, in finals and close fought H&A games.

Last week we were facing a quick team playing well with their home support up and about... but if Hawk and Stanley nail their first chances, then the mood in the PA camp could have soured very quickly.
Will interesting to see if we can slot our first shot. Confidence will go up if we do. Shank it and heads will drop.

Have it your own way, calling bullshit is bullshit. Scott is well regarded by the players.
I happen to know, but even if I didn't, do you think he'd be contracted for so long if he was a bad communicator?
He has improved over the last year or 2. Flat out refused to talk to the younger players earlier in his coaching career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back