Preview Rd 11 Geelong V GWS Sat 25th May 2024 434 pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 1999232O’Connor not playing, they say…. 🤔

The VFL boys have also had their boots painted - the Clubs post about it includes Humphries & Edwards, and thinking they aren’t making their senior debut tomorrow afternoon

We invested more than 7 games into him before writing him off. I think we had a 2 year contract on the table for him too when he asked for the trade to Freo to play with his mate Cam.
Sorry, tongue was firmly in cheek with that post. Not sure about Shannon's long-term prospects at this point. But he's already ahead of Kersten in my estimation of his abilities and his likelihood of 'making it' in the end as a really influential AFL player.

Sorry, tongue was firmly in cheek with that post. Not sure about Shannon's long-term prospects at this point. But he's already ahead of Kersten in my estimation of his abilities and his likelihood of 'making it' in the end as a really influential AFL player.
Yeah I kersten was kept on as need more than want, but with Hawkins in rapid decline I think we'll be in the same position of need real soon

Feels like we're pushing fast forward on this rebuild.

Guthrie, Danger and Rohan all out injured but we drop Parfitt and O'Connor. We're looking for players with higher ceilings than them. Understandable with Parfitt but a touch harsh on O'Connor I think. Hopefully this is a reset for him.

Also left out Bews and Stanley.

We've selected 7 under 22s who didn't play in the 2022 GF (Holmes would have) plus Mullin as inexperienced players.

I dont think its specifically fast forward its just form based. Rohan missed PS and hasnt found his form yet-dempsey has exploded in the meantime.
Bews was clearly done late last year.
Stanley looks cooked.
Guthrie is clearly not fit.

Parfitt is a depth player and no more.
Oconnor is just a little bit out of form and will be back soon.

I suppose you could argue clark and mullin being in (and mannagh is stiff not to be in and should be) as accelerating transition as those are two that the MC was always going to fasttrack (for different reasons).

Talking about make our break tomorrow for Neale is silly. For one thing he's contracted next year. Clearly he's showing enough in the VFL and training to get a shot so it's not going to be one and done. He'll play at least 10 more games providing he's fit this year and next.

He certainly will keep playing as hawkins wont be here next year but if neale wants to be more A grade and less josh walker he needs to show signs at least in next 12 months.

Id agree but I think its Mannagh in.

Late change (if there is one) would have to be tuohy for mannagh surely?

dempsey is due a rest but we probably want to wait til next week for it.

I'd pick Bowes as sub ahead of Atkins. He was so disappointing last week. Didn't run to defend, gave away dumb free kicks and then when he had it in space used it really badly. His best is better than Parfitt but I'm surprised Parfitt was dropped before him.
I think you might be right

And what if his job, given to him by his coach, is to get defenders out of the other forwards way?
Very insightful (as I have come to expect from a cat who sees into the future…)…

Spoke to an “insider” who said the mantra this week has been to be very sharp and focused around playing roles. They think that this is the best 23 (other than Danger) in terms of the mix (ie. not just 23 best players but combination of offence, speed, defence, age etc)…and have really focussed on every player being disciplined. They value some players contributions completely differently to how we do…

Lots of tackling done at training this week too!

I dont think its specifically fast forward its just form based. Rohan missed PS and hasnt found his form yet-dempsey has exploded in the meantime.
Bews was clearly done late last year.
Stanley looks cooked.
Guthrie is clearly not fit.

Parfitt is a depth player and no more.
Oconnor is just a little bit out of form and will be back soon.

I suppose you could argue clark and mullin being in (and mannagh is stiff not to be in and should be) as accelerating transition as those are two that the MC was always going to fasttrack (for different reasons).

None of the decisions are real statements in themselves. I think doing them all at once is a statement.

O'Connor's been struggling. But dropping him from the 23 for the first time in over 5 years at the same time as Guthrie, Danger and Rohan are injured and you're already leaving out Stanley, Bews and Parfitt is a big call.

None of the decisions are real statements in themselves. I think doing them all at once is a statement.

O'Connor's been struggling. But dropping him from the 23 for the first time in over 5 years at the same time as Guthrie, Danger and Rohan are injured and you're already leaving out Stanley, Bews and Parfitt is a big call
I wouldn't put Bews in that reference. Bews is not in the selection pool at the moment as he has been out of form for a long time now, not just this year. O'Connor is diligent and hard working. I'm sure he will force his way back into the 22.

Very insightful (as I have come to expect from a cat who sees into the future…)…

Spoke to an “insider” who said the mantra this week has been to be very sharp and focused around playing roles. They think that this is the best 23 (other than Danger) in terms of the mix (ie. not just 23 best players but combination of offence, speed, defence, age etc)…and have really focussed on every player being disciplined. They value some players contributions completely differently to how we do…

Lots of tackling done at training this week too!
Cam Guthrie is still best 23

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was that free kick against Daicos late in the game all about? The AFL will come up with a letter of the law explanation but it seems absurd.

What was that free kick against Daicos late in the game all about? The AFL will come up with a letter of the law explanation but it seems absurd.
Wasn't against daicos. The other pies player (sullivan?) gave the ball to daicos instead of the umpire

It would be the wrong call. Tantamount to saying Blicavs, Atkins, Bruhn and Clark will be our primary midfield with higher minutes than usual. Too samey.
Holmes will play a big role in MF. And Miers in and out? Not to forget out cooler in Mullin if needed

I AGREE with your premise that we can’t be too same same. And if was me I would probably favour Bowes over Atkins for that reason. But Parf and Guthrie out has taken away lots of same and maybe Bowes and Atkins are more similar than different (when compare to Holmes and Miers?) so they will choose who they think best works?

By the way blitz should NOT be “samey”…not at his size and strength and running capacity. Agree he has become too “blah” but hope that can turn around?

Holmes will play a big role in MF. And Miers in and out? Not to forget out cooler in Mullin if needed

I AGREE with your premise that we can’t be too same same. And if was me I would probably favour Bowes over Atkins for that reason. But Parf and Guthrie out has taken away lots of same and maybe Bowes and Atkins are more similar than different (when compare to Holmes and Miers?) so they will choose who they think best works?

By the way blitz should NOT be “samey”…not at his size and strength and running capacity. Agree he has become too “blah” but hope that can turn around?
Yeah I can see it happening, especially based on Scott saying Clark won't be sub and them using Bowes as a sub frequently before. But I don't think shuffling Bowes in, out and around the periphery is the best thing for him/our club now or going forward.

He could even help release Holmes to midfield by taking the half back role. We have Duncan, but still seem short multiple rebounders at the moment if Holmes was to move up the field.

Yeah I can see it happening, especially based on Scott saying Clark won't be sub and them using Bowes as a sub frequently before. But I don't think shuffling Bowes in, out and around the periphery is the best thing for him/our club now or going forward.

He could even help release Holmes to midfield by taking the half back role. We have Duncan, but still seem short multiple rebounders at the moment if Holmes was to move up the field.
Short of rebounders?

I know a guy

1716560818604.png

Am I the only one here who is not a fan of the changes? The team balance doesn't seem right
Yeah soon as I saw the changes I scratched my head a bit, especially when the opposition has a good midfield and we usually pride ourselves on depth of numbers, if Bruhn,Atkins and Bowes dont have a blinder we are in all sorts of trouble.

Take it here.

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back