Recommitted Jordan de Goey [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean you can deny it all you want, but there is absolutely no way North isn't interested in De Goey. While De Goey hasn't made a whole lot of progress in the last 2 years, North clearly rates De Goey higher than most clubs with their $1 million + pa offer to De Goey.

North is also utilizing a very low % of their salary cap. Front end De Goey's contract now to satisfy his thirst for $, and when De Goey is 27/28, the rest of ur draftees should also be ready for a premiership tilt.

I mean if North doesn't give up pick 2, what else can they give us? I mean we could do Jordan De Goey + Pick 14 for Ben Brown + Pick 2. At least this way Brown converts into a 1st round pick. But then agian, this depends on the valuation of De Goey just under pick 2, which North supporters don't seem to agree.

People are obviously underrating him because of his constant injury interruptions and because his forced to play in the forward line.

He would have been All Australian in 2018 if it wasn't for injuries and he started this year in All Australian form before his finger injury.

People probably worried about pending criminal charges too.

I mean you can deny it all you want, but there is absolutely no way North isn't interested in De Goey. While De Goey hasn't made a whole lot of progress in the last 2 years, North clearly rates De Goey higher than most clubs with their $1 million + pa offer to De Goey.

North is also utilizing a very low % of their salary cap. Front end De Goey's contract now to satisfy his thirst for $, and when De Goey is 27/28, the rest of ur draftees should also be ready for a premiership tilt.

I mean if North doesn't give up pick 2, what else can they give us? I mean we could do Jordan De Goey + Pick 14 for Ben Brown + Pick 2. At least this way Brown converts into a 1st round pick. But then agian, this depends on the valuation of De Goey just under pick 2, which North supporters don't seem to agree.
You do realize teams have to use a minimum of 95% of their cap, right?

Also it makes no sense for North to all in on a draft, and purely recruit from via draft picks. GC and GWS have both shown that depending on this approach leads to nothing but failure. And while GC's recent draft was very strong (Lukosius, King, Rowell, Anderson), they are only able to flourish on the back of mature players selected from dozens of failed 1st round picks.

Also, the strike rate of KPFs in the top 10 is pretty horrendous:

Pick 1 - Jonathan Patton (Fail)

Pick 10 - Joe Daniher (Pass)

Pick 1 - Tom Boyd (Fail)

Pick 1 - Tom Mccartin (Fail)
Pick 8 - Peter Wright (Fail)

Pick 2- Josh Schache (Fail)
Pick 9 - Sam Weideman (Pass, barely)
Pick 10 - Harry Mckay (Success)

N/A

Pick 9 - Aaron Naughton (Currently Pass, hasn't kicked more than 32 goals in a season, but I'm quite confident that he will eventually become a success)

Others are just too early to call, King brothers look excellent, but neither kicked more than 25 goals yet, and only 1 20+ goal season each. They both look likely tho, but atm too early.

So from 2011 - 2017, out of a total of 9 KPFs taken in the top 10, we have a 11% Success Rate, 33% Pass Rate, and 56% Fail Rate.

ONLY 1 KEY FORWARD (DANIHER) TAKEN IN THE TOP 10 BETWEEN 2011 - 2019 HAS KICKED MORE THAN 40 GOALS IN ANY SEASON, LET ALONE MATCH DE GOEY'S 48 IN 2018.

Additionally, you'd probably take De Goey over everyone on that list except Mckay/Naughton as well.

So at best, you have between a 11% - 22% chance of getting a player better than De Goey. And you still wouldn't give up pick 2 for De Goey?

The draft is a lottery, how many times has a top 10 KPF pick been hyped as the next big thing but falls miserably short of expectations?

Last edited:
I think the De Goey for Bruce swap is a win for both teams, makes a lot of sense. One of the early deals done you reckon?

People are obviously underrating him because of his constant injury interruptions and because his forced to play in the forward line.

He would have been All Australian in 2018 if it wasn't for injuries and he started this year in All Australian form before his finger injury.
Actually he was so-so until the Geelong game where he kicked 5 then injured his finger. He played 2 really good games this year and that’s about it. He really has no right to be demanding the money that’s been reported given the year he’s had.

Also it makes no sense for North to all in on a draft, and purely recruit from via draft picks. GC and GWS have both shown that depending on this approach leads to nothing but failure. And while GC's recent draft was very strong (Lukosius, King, Rowell, Anderson), they are only able to flourish on the back of mature players selected from dozens of failed 1st round picks.

Pick 1 - Tom Boyd (Fail)

N/A

Pick 9 - Aaron Naughton (Currently Pass, hasn't kicked more than 32 goals in a season, but I'm quite confident that he will eventually become a success)

Others are just too early to call, King brothers look excellent, but neither kicked more than 25 goals yet, and only 1 20+ goal season each. They both look likely tho, but atm too early.

So from 2011 - 2017, out of a total of 9 KPFs taken in the top 10, we have a 11% Success Rate, 33% Pass Rate, and 56% Fail Rate.

ONLY 1 KEY FORWARD (DANIHER) TAKEN IN THE TOP 10 BETWEEN 2011 - 2019 HAS KICKED MORE THAN 40 GOALS IN ANY SEASON, LET ALONE MATCH DE GOEY'S 48 IN 2018.

Additionally, you'd probably take De Goey over everyone on that list except Mckay/Naughton as well.

So at best, you have between a 11% - 22% chance of getting a player better than De Goey. And you still wouldn't give up pick 2 for De Goey?

The draft is a lottery, how many times has a top 10 KPF pick been hyped as the next big thing but falls miserably short of expectations?
Roughy was pick 2. Buddy pick 5. In 2004.

Kennedy was pick 4 in 2005.

Dixon an early pick for GC.

Lynch was pick 11.

Hawkins would have gone pick 1 in 2006.

The bolded isn't correct now though. We had a different list manager at the time of that big offer, and believed the club was still able to challenge in finals. Now under Rawlings we are in full rebuild mode.

We aren't desperate for De Goey, and he's not worth pick 2 + the huge contract he will want. Just because we have salary cap space doesn't mean we should throw out insane contracts.

The bolded isn't correct now though. We had a different list manager at the time of that big offer, and believed the club was still able to challenge in finals. Now under Rawlings we are in full rebuild mode.

We aren't desperate for De Goey, and he's not worth pick 2 + the huge contract he will want. Just because we have salary cap space doesn't mean we should throw out insane contracts.

You guys are better off going with youth and trying to bring in a few good older footy brains like what Brisbane did with Hodge, North may have leaders but I would argue that trading a few older players out on big money, then carefully selecting 1 or 2 older blokes from recently successful clubs on much less money to bring a new guidance/leadership style for a new era is a new approach worth trying.

You guys are better off going with youth and trying to bring in a few good older footy brains like what Brisbane did with Hodge, North may have leaders but I would argue that trading a few older players out on big money, then carefully selecting 1 or 2 older blokes from recently successful clubs on much less money to bring a new guidance/leadership style for a new era is a new approach worth trying.
True, thats a much more sensible approach to rebuilding, Brisbane have been a textbook case on how to do it successfully.

1. Load up on the draft over multiple seasons
2. Get/keep veteran leaders to help with developing the youth.
3. When the young players have a couple of seasons and are primed to take the next step, trade for a star like Neale.

North are at step 1, whereas trading for De Goey is step 3. Makes no sense now for us, but should be on the radar for Carlton, St Kilda or maybe even Gold Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it hard to imagine him going anywhere else.

1 - No other club has the intimate knowledge or background of his assault charge

2 - With point 1 in mind I find it hard to believe another club would be in a position to offer both more years, and more dollars.

More years and dollars would be a requirement to get him out of there.

I think he has little leverage in these negotiations, and it probably doesn't help that his old man is navigating this on his behalf when he hasn't got the requisite market knowledge to know what his value truly is

Seems pretty obvious that his best bet is to take a 12 month contract at the pies and back himself to have a big year next year and put the legal issues behind him before asking for the huge money contract. The timing is not right for him this season.

Quick fix? JDG is 24 lol. Key forwards are some of the most hit and miss prospects ever coming out of a draft.
I'm not even commenting on the fact they don't want JDG as I couldn't care less, I'm more commenting on the fact he'd rather splurge the 900k over two middle of the range FA's. And I think that is ridiculously ironic given the history they've had with going down that method.

But no, attacking the club. You're right. I personally think the club could use the injection of a high calibre player as a message to the playing group and supporters that we aren't mucking around and are capable of doing it, rather than yeah we stuffed up so let's be a middling team for the next decade and hope we get it right.
I just realized your removed message was directed at me and its hilarious that you mention Polec as a "mid range FA"

We literally traded a 1st round pick for Polec and gave him a huge deal 2 years ago. That was one of the worst deals in our recent history, and now you reckon we should do the exact same thing with De Goey? Despite being miles off competing? Bloody hell.

After 5 games he had kicked 2 goals and was averaging 15 possessions a game

heck me if that is AA form then the AA team must have 200 players in it

Pick 1 - Tom Boyd (Fail)

N/A

In response to you saying Joe Daniher is the only key forward (along with JDG) to kick more than 40 goals in any season between 2011-2019, should note that Jon Patton (one of the players you marked as a failure) kicked 45 in 2017.

Personally I hope no club chases him and we keep him on fair and not ridiculous money.
Simple fact is people can have their opinion as to how good a player he is but if we weren't forced to play Jordan as a full forward he could be anything.
A midfield bull who can push forward when needed, instead of being wasted at full forward and playing midfield minutes when we need that extra grunt.

DeGoey has talent and upside like few others, unfortunately our circumstances prevents us playing him the way we should.

In response to you saying Joe Daniher is the only key forward (along with JDG) to kick more than 40 goals in any season between 2011-2019, should note that Jon Patton (one of the players you marked as a failure) kicked 45 in 2017.
Ye I missed that one, point still stands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back