News Giants in the Media

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
If your mob don't draft a project ruck this year I'd be gobsmacked.

We have 2 drafted (Flynn and Briggs) why would we draft another?

That’s not the issue we need 1 now, and it appears that supposedly both Flynn and Briggs aren’t ready according to the coaches, but the question is who do we trade?
Sauce is also signed for 2 years.

We have 2 drafted (Flynn and Briggs) why would we draft another?

That’s not the issue we need 1 now, and it appears that supposedly both Flynn and Briggs aren’t ready according to the coaches, but the question is who do we trade?
Sauce is also signed for 2 years.

Sauce you would find would be on a close to minimum contract with match payments additional as a top up to his base therefore a 2nd year is not the costing the club that much and of course this season (you would find maybe a small reason why he hasn't played that much this season)

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Sauce you would find would be on a close to minimum contract with match payments additional as a top up to his base therefore a 2nd year is not the costing the club that much and of course this season (you would find maybe a small reason why he hasn't played that much this season)
That, and the fact that he's not much good?! :think:

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Some interesting parts

Perryman, a NSW recruit, is happy at the Giants and has told the club he wants to stay, after playing 15 games this year.

For Jezza
“I love the place, it’s going really well for me and I can definitely see where this team is going,” Cameron said on SEN in July.

“When (the contract freeze) does get lifted … things will happen pretty quickly from there.”

The deal was believed to be done and dusted, but negotiations recently have stalled.

Toby Greene features on this week's ep of Dyl and Friends.

He talks his love for the Giants, the loss of Cameron and why Movember is close to his heart after losing his cousin last year.

Enjoy! :)

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Greater Western Sydney could use the record-breaking bounty of first-round picks they received from Geelong for Jeremy Cameron to propel themselves towards the pointy end of the order on AFL draft night.

The Giants believe they have come out of a disastrous year as well as is possible, after holding firm on their demands for three first-round selections in their negotiations with Geelong over Cameron - the first time an AFL club has parted with that many picks of that calibre.

After weeks of posturing, the Cats finally blinked just before the AFL trade period deadline on Thursday night, sending picks 13, 15 and 20 to the Giants for the 2018 Coleman Medallist and a future second-round pick, which they received as part of the deal that took Jye Caldwell to Essendon.

Clubs have the ability to trade picks up until draft night on December 7, and GWS general manager Jason McCartney said they would consider all options to use their hand - currently selections 10, 13, 15, 20, 29, 52 and 88 - to move further ahead in the order and gain improved access to what they believe is a quality pool of players.

"We've got great confidence in that early part of the draft - that top 15, top 20, they've generally announced themselves at 16 or 17-year-olds. Our team's got a really good handle on those guys," McCartney said.

"We'll assess and evaluate over the coming days with strategy moving into draft and whether there are opportunities to move around and we'll do a little work with our recruiting team around that.

"We walk away really comfortable and happy with what we've been able to secure, but [on] the other side, you would rather that Jeremy was still playing with us."

After missing the finals this season, the Giants have suffered some significant losses with first-choice players Cameron, Zac Williams (Carlton) and Aidan Corr (North Melbourne) moving on, while talented youngers Caldwell and Jackson Hately will also find new homes.

No deal was completed for Hately - who will instead walk to his preferred destination Adelaide through the pre-season draft, where they have the first pick - with the Giants left frustrated by their discussions both with the Crows and the Bombers over Caldwell.

"Each club's got to do the best thing by their club. But you've got to find a way to do it in a respectful manner," McCartney said.

"The reality was what Adelaide was putting forward was not good enough. Pick 40, for a pick 14 [player] two years earlier, is not cutting the mustard.

"We don't want to be walking people to the draft but ... when it's that far off the mark, we're not doing it.

"And the Caldwell one was a millimetre away from not getting done either. That's Essendon: target a player, high quality, get him in the door, and then not [be] prepared to stump up the price to actually facilitate the deal."

Despite suggestions from many pundits that the Giants' premiership window has slammed shut, McCartney is optimistic about what lies ahead for GWS, who were also able to bring in a much-needed ruckman in Braydon Preuss and a replacement for Cameron in ex-Melbourne and Fremantle forward Jesse Hogan.

"I only have to go back to 2018 when [Rory] Lobb, [Will] Setterfield, [Dylan] Shiel, [Tom] Scully - out they go, everyone is questioning 'what is going on at the Giants? You can't lose that quality,'" he said.

"We played off in a grand final within 12 months. We've got a lot of quality still here, there'll be more quality coming in over the next month.

"There's some very hungry and eager players to right some wrongs in 2021. We've just got to get to work now and let everyone else talk about the doom and gloom."

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

'My mind was all over the place': Cameron's decision to return to Victoria the hardest of his life
Peter Ryan
By Peter Ryan
November 13, 2020 — 11.59am

Geelong recruit Jeremy Cameron has become emotional when describing the day he had to inform Giants' coach Leon Cameron and his teammates that he had decided to return to Victoria to be alongside family after being a foundation player at the club.

The 27-year-old's bottom lip quivered as he spoke of the moment he rang the coach to invite him to his house in Sydney to tell him the opportunity to join the Cats would set both him and his partner Indiana's life in the direction they wanted to head.

Over weeks he would go to bed thinking he had made up his mind to move but would wake him resolute that he would be staying at the Giants.

"It's honestly the hardest decision I have ever had to make in my life," Cameron said.

"My mind was all over the place."

On the weekend the AFL's preliminary final was played he and Indiana went away for the weekend to mull over the decision, the pair sleeping in a swag in the bush and talking over the positives and negatives he would face whichever way their call landed.

Driving home from that weekend his mind was made up and the next day he called Leon to tell him to his face.

"It was very emotional. I still remember calling Leon to say do you mind coming over to sit on the couch as we need to have a chat. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. Leon has given me so much over a long period of time," Cameron said.

Cameron described the huge influence his coach had on pushing him to be as good as he could be and had to gather himself as he spoke.

"Having him sit in my loungeroom and here that I was leaving was very tough and it is still, obviously, clearly a little bit emotional now," Cameron said.

He said the way his teammates accepted his decision was humbling and showed the care people at the club had for each other away from football

"It's going to be tough to play against them," Cameron said.

"I have nothing bad to say about the Giants."

However he knows the opportunities that lie ahead at the Cats and said one of the reasons he wanted to be at Geelong was to work with Tom Hawkins as he has so much admiration and respect for the Coleman medallist and the way he plays the game.

He said he looked forward to pushing up the ground and using his mobility inside the forward half of the ground and also continuing to maintain the right balance between football and other parts of his life such as fishing, playing golf and camping.

Cameron admitted he was fishing off Arnhem Land when this year's grand final was played having travelled from Darwin by car for two and half hours and then sat on a big boat for 12 hours before they dropped in lines searching for barramundi.

"I had no service for seven days. I watched the grand final when I got back...I was getting updates via satellite phone but even that was dropping out," Cameron said.

Back