RIP Shane Tuck

Remove this Banner Ad

I just want to reiterate this isn't the place to start fights or for snarky comments, let's share our memories of Tucky.

If you want to have a discussion about mental health there is a stickied thread full of great resources. We all know someone who has struggled with depression, that someone may be the person staring back every time we look in the mirror and we all know how hard it is even without some of the stuff that gets said on the internet.

If you don't want to share in public my PM's are always open

Thanks

Last edited:
On a football aspect , before Tuck Wayne Campbell developed a hack kick out out congestion and Tuck being a coal face Guy developed similar
It was at a time when the swans trying to create stoppages and congestion
So it made effective and valuable as a player for us
Of course other players followed but Tuck was a master of the 20 mtr hack out of a pack
But then the coaches got to work and defenders Would be plonked in the space 20-30 mtrs ahead of packs

at the same time in order to beat the congestion a lot of work was being done on going “coast to coast” from kick ins or turn overs

so when a defender snaffled one of those kicks hacked out of a pack it started a sling shot out of defence

it quickly saw the end of that kick , you have to handball your way out of trouble

so despite not being lauded as one of the games greats he was something of a game changer

that stuff is 101 football basics these days , any opposition team that just throws the ball onto their boot will soon see Vlas , Grimmes , Astbury intercept Mark , they flip it off to Houli, short , Baker etc and whoosh it in our forward 50

View attachment 917350

Beautiful, but also so sad.
There are so many current players, coaches and officials who would have had a direct association with Shane. As supporters we just need to accept whatever happens for the rest of the season as it plays out. We’ve been handsomely rewarded, let’s all stick together. Yellow and Black, it’s in our blood!

He was tall for a midfielder wasn't he 190 cm plus.Had a strong grab and mark you could count on him get a goal or 2 game and was good even in crunch moments.Tuff as nails.

Teammates of Shane Tuck — who died this week — have shared heartwarming stories about a man who was always there for them.

Tributes continue to flow for Shane Tuck as former teammates shared a collection of their favourite stories illustrating just how great a man the AFL star was.
Tuck died earlier this week aged 38, sparking an outpouring of emotion from a footy community devastated at losing one of the game’s true good guys.

Dan Jackson said Tuck’s tough-as-nails exterior masked a soft side and he was “hugely empathetic to his mates, especially when he thought they may be doing it tough”.
During a rough trot in his career in 2012, when his poor form was a hot topic in the media, Jackson recalled being consoled by Tuck who put an arm around him and said: “Hey mate, don’t listen to those idiots, you’re a great player, you’ll prove them wrong.”
Tuck’s kindness didn’t end there. A year later, Jackson opened his locker and staring back at him was an article about how he’d reinvigorated his career.

“Having no idea where it came from, Tucky, who I’d shared the locker next to for 10 years appeared, once again put his hand on my shoulder, lowered his eyes (the way he did when you knew he was going to say something meaningful) and said, ‘I knew you’d prove them wrong Jacko, I thought you should leave that there as a reminder’,” Jackson wrote for AFL Players. “And off he strolled …”
He made a similar effort to encourage Tyrone Vickery. “I remember at a point I was not playing well and Tucky pulled me aside and told me, ‘Mate I was labelled a ‘list clogger’, ‘not good enough’ and a ‘waste of a spot’. Believe in yourself and don’t listen to the outside world’,” Vickery wrote.
“It stuck with me because he wasn’t naturally a super vocal leader, but he was naturally a really genuine caring person.”

There were also tales of toughness.
Nathan Foley recalled Tuck breaking his scapula (shoulder) during a match against Port Adelaide in 2013, but ignoring the pain to play with an injury that required surgery.
Less than a week later Foley was moving house and who should turn up to help but Tuck with his arm nestled in a sling. That didn’t bother him, and he just got to work.
“With his arm in a sling he started picking things up one handed and taking them into the house,” Foley wrote. “I suggested he probably shouldn’t be doing that.
“He just said, ‘It’ll be right’ and continued on helping.”
“He didn’t try to be tough; he didn’t seek praise for being tough. Tucky was just tough and he knew no different.”

Brett Deledio shared a lighter anecdote. At a pub for his Bucks party, Deledio’s blood pressure started to rise when another patron continually elbowed him in the back and wouldn’t take the hint when told he was being a pest.
Tensions escalated and as Deledio’s dad, nicknamed Block, stepped in, so too did Tuck.
“Now I don’t know if Tucky was watching or not, but personally I think he smelt something brewing and before I knew it he was standing right beside dad, as he was lecturing this other Buck, saying, ‘Right, we going Block or what?’” Deledio wrote.
“Tucky was ready to take on the whole pub if one of his mates needed him to.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't think about it much until that tribute before the game last night. Having lost Phil Walsh, we have a bit off understanding of how a death affects everyone in a club.
My deepest condolences to all of you from one who enjoyed Tucky playing at West Adelaide before the Tigers and the Goodwood Saints after.

Funeral just took place. Incredibly sad, but what an incredibly loving and generous husband, father, brother, son, team mate.

The link was in the funeral notice as advertised and I hope you had the chance to pay your respects.

Haere Ra

Funeral just took place. Incredibly sad, but what an incredibly loving and generous husband, father, brother, son, team mate.

The link was in the funeral notice as advertised and I hope you had the chance to pay your respects.

Haere Ra

If anybody missed it it’s still available to watch in this link.

You couldn't help but tear up watching his poor father and his family. So annoyed that because of the stupid coronavirus quarantine failure it didn't have a larger attendance. Both the Richmond and Hawthorn families would have been out in force. The idiots that administered this debacle have a lot to answer for.

Tucky confirmed to have had severe CTE. Stage 3 bordering stage 4. The worst they have seen so far. Hopefully 1 day soon they can diagnose before death. RIP great man.

Brain study shows former Tiger Shane Tuck had severe CTE
Researchers have described a post-mortem study on Shane Tuck’s brain as ‘shocking’ after it was revealed the late Richmond star was suffering from CTE.

The late Shane Tuck has become the third AFL player to have been found to have suffered from a crippling neurological disorder linked to repeated head knocks at the time of their death.
An analysis of the former Richmond star’s brain showed he had severe stage 3, borderline stage 4 CTE – chronic traumatic encephalopathy – when he died last July aged 38.
CTE can only be diagnosed after death.

The Australian Sports Brain Bank confirmed the finding, saying it was the “worst case” they had “seen so far”.
“It was actually quite shocking, the degree of disease he had,” neuropathologist professor Michael Buckland told Nine media.

Tuck, the son of Hawthorn legend Michael and who played 173 games for the Tigers, is the third VFL/AFL player to be diagnosed with CTE, the devastating condition linked to concussions and subconcussive hits.
Geelong legend Graham “Polly” Farmer, who died in August 2019, was confirmed to have Stage III CTE in February.
St Kilda great Danny Frawley, when his four-wheel drive struck a tree in Millbrook, near Ballan, on September 9 last year, was also found to have suffered from the condition.
Tuck’s family had agreed for his brain to be analysed by the Australian Brain Bank in Sydney for concussion research as they tried to find answers to his mental health struggles.

“Maybe post football, like a lot of sportspeople, trying to find their worth may have contributed to Shane’s struggles,” his brother Travis told the Herald Sun last year.
“And Shane getting involved with boxing, there might be a few concussions over time with football and boxing.
“Mum and dad took the option of doing that, and we’re very proud of them for doing that.”
Australian Sports Brain Bank state manager Professor Alan Pearce, a concussion researcher at La Trobe University, said Tuck was diagnosed with severe stage 3, borderline stage 4 CTE.
“While we know from international research that brain injury can increase risk of mental health issues, we need to engage in specific Australian research on exposure to brain trauma and risk of suicide,” Prof Pearce said.

“The unfortunate case now shows that CTE is a real disease and we need to put in place mechanisms to reduce exposure in contact sports like Australian rules and Rugby.
“We ask former players to seriously consider pledging their brains to the Australian Sports Brain Bank and also we need financial donations to support the research at brainbank.org.au
What is CTE?
Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) is a progressive degenerative disease of the brain found in people with a history of repetitive brain trauma (often athletes), including symptomatic concussions as well as asymptomatic subconcussive hits to the head that do not cause symptoms. CTE has been known to affect boxers since the 1920’s (when it was initially termed punch drunk syndrome). CTE has been found in other athletes including American football and ice hockey players and military veterans. Source: Boston University Research Centre.

An AFL spokesperson said the league was thankful for the Tuck family helping with the important research.
“We thank the Tuck family for their support of ongoing research in this area and for the ability to continue to learn about this condition and the AFL will, as previously, assist in that endeavour,” the spokesperson said.
“We take very seriously the health and safety of all present, past and future players in our game and are currently interviewing for a position at the AFL that will specifically focus on the work we are doing as an industry to respond to the issue of concussion.
“Over recent years we have strengthened match-day protocols for the identification and management of concussion, we continue to change the Laws of the Game to discourage high contact and are using the ARC to provide another opportunity to identify potential concussive incidents through the use of world leading video technology but we are committed to continually reviewing our response. The AFL’s Concussion Guidelines for the 2021 AFL and AFLW seasons will be released shortly.”

Last edited by a moderator:
“He was intelligent enough to know that there was something wrong with his brain,” Tuck’s mother Fay told The Age. “He continually told us that he didn’t feel like himself. We tried every avenue we could in order to find out what it was that was distressing Shane so much.

“Shane was never aggressive or violent. In fact, he was placid. He wanted to try all avenues he could to help himself, even when he knew nothing would work. He knew he was getting worse. There was no medication that would help.”

AFL news 2021: Shane Tuck death, CTE, brain disease, disorder, Graham Polly Farmer, Danny Spud Frawley | Fox Sports

Poor Tucky. Sounds terrible. And to have it that bad at age 38.

I hope the RFC is supporting his family.

Like many who played the game over a sustained time, I encountered concussions but probably nothing on the level Shane endured. I used to watch him in awe at times with his in and under work and it feels a little strange to hear how that impacted on him. Maybe we have to change how we regale such courageous acts so the law makers have their own sort of courage to make the changes needed in order to help save more good people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back