Analysis AFL to review Coroner's findings into Shane Tuck's death

Remove this Banner Ad

The argument would be that it was not known Back then how much that would contribute (if any) to any serious health effects of concussion.
How many boxers are still in great health even after many many more head knocks/concusions?
There are so many variables, it could be treated on a case-to-case basis but that would put more worms into the blender.

How many sports players are in long term pain because of knocks, even factory workers long-term body stress, the list goes on and on and it can never be fixed.

ONCE they get their dirty mits on this we will be like the SATES OF crApMERICA.

Side Note......
Then we got the same job, same pay scenario to think about. Crazy times.
But we know now, and we know it does and the research is very clear on the fact that it does

The fact that some are affected more than others is irrelevant because the risk is still the same and we don’t know who it will or won’t affect until after the fact so you need to treat everyone as if it will have negative consequences

& like any other industry if you can provide a direct link to the job you have undertaken exposed you to unnecessary risk or even if they haven’t but you have sustained an injury that has made you unable to work or affected your day to day life you are entitled to be compensated for it

so to save the league we must kill the game?

just sign waivers as players, and make post concussion protocols wbp.

we want aussie rules not a freaking watered down safety fest
So I took my daughter down to a footy clinic at a big northern suburbs sports club.

They had 11 soccer teams in her age group struggling to get numbers for 1 footy team..

Local footy club has had to send boys in some age groups to other clubs because we don't have numbers.

At this rate the talent pool will be so small by 2030 teams will fall over.

If the players heads are not looked after the players will play other sports

But we know now, and we know it does and the research is very clear on the fact that it does

The fact that some are affected more than others is irrelevant because the risk is still the same and we don’t know who it will or won’t affect until after the fact so you need to treat everyone as if it will have negative consequences

& like any other industry if you can provide a direct link to the job you have undertaken exposed you to unnecessary risk or even if they haven’t but you have sustained an injury that has made you unable to work or affected your day to day life you are entitled to be compensated for it
"but we know now" is the key word. how can a club be sued if it didn't know?

I have a risk of being shot but didn't get shot ?

"but we know now" is the key word. how can a club be sued if it didn't know?

I have a risk of being shot but didn't get shot ?
It would come under foreseeable risk and it’s for the courts to determine and given CTE was first getting researched in the 1920’s i don’t think pleading ignorance will suffice

So it would still be neglect by the employer

Plenty of class actions have won in similar circumstances

It’s the same reason why the AFL need to implement rule changes now to protect themselves from litigation in the future

So I took my daughter down to a footy clinic at a big northern suburbs sports club.

They had 11 soccer teams in her age group struggling to get numbers for 1 footy team..

Local footy club has had to send boys in some age groups to other clubs because we don't have numbers.

At this rate the talent pool will be so small by 2030 teams will fall over.

If the players heads are not looked after the players will play other sports
yeah the problem for the game is that it is inherently risky

its over

yeah the problem for the game is that it is inherently risky

its over
Na that is just hyperbolic
All you need to do is understand that not all risk is equal and although some compromises will need to be made to unsure the risk is minimised (like rule changes surrounding protection of the head) the game will continue

If it helps reduce tragedies in the future like Frawley or Tuck I’m not sure how it’s a bad thing either

We can sook about how the game has gone soft all we want but the real victims are the family members who have been robbed of fathers, brothers, sons, ect for our entertainment

Why wouldn’t we want to reduce the chance of it happening again?

Na that is just hyperbolic
We can sook about how the game has gone soft all we want but the real victims are the family members who have been robbed of fathers, brothers, sons, ect for our entertainment

Why wouldn’t we want to reduce the chance of it happening again?
wait you call me hyperbolic then come out with that

this is derailing the thread as i am really not talking your language and vice versa

there are a few camps here

we are in different ones thats cool

It would come under foreseeable risk and it’s for the courts to determine and given CTE was first getting researched in the 1920’s i don’t think pleading ignorance will suffice

So it would still be neglect by the employer

Plenty of class actions have won in similar circumstances

It’s the same reason why the AFL need to implement rule changes now to protect themselves from litigation in the future
I think a different way, Im more streamlined and down to earth, the more grey area in law the more everything gets contested in courts, the more money the justice machine makes.

Just as one example of a couple of dozen I could use, a mate of mine worked in mine rescue and he got trapped when another rock fall occurred while he was trying to rescue some already trapped miners.

He ended up with a lifelong spinal injury from the falling rocks which meant he had to leave work and will very likely be in constant chronic pain forever now. Can barely bend, lift, walk etc. most days. He received about $130K (was a couple of decades ago now for context) in so-called compo. He ended up with about $20K left after the lawyer's fees were paid and he'd repaid the government for around 3yrs of getting an unemployment payment (not disability pension because he didn't qualify for that on some bullshit technicality).

So it seems to me, if footy were actually treated like any other industry in Australia is as far as compo goes, in the overwhelming number of cases, the employers would walk off into the sunset with fat pockets, while their workers suffer for the rest of their lives in poverty and ill-health.

Not sure why some people get so little and others seem to get squillions...down to how good your lawyer is perhaps?

How much boxing did he do before AFL? I am sure everything will be looked at.
Think he may have done it after footy - not sure, but seemed to be the thrust.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back