Roast AFL Bonus to Poach Hardwick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
So I am reading that the AFL has included an ambassadorial payment to Hardwick within the GC suns deal. Surely we as a club should be considering legal action. Having one of the best coaches of all time poached mid season and incentivised by the league that regulates and promotes a fair competition is an absolute disgrace. We should be lawyering up and going for the jugular including subpoenaing emails for this investigation which should also include umpiring corruption and rule corruption. The club should throw a large chunk of cash reserves at this. I personally would support a member class action.

Hardwick had taken us as far as he could. Listen to the bloke himself, he was well and truly done here and didn't think he had a message that could take us forward.

He's had a freshen up and been offered more money than he could not possibly hope to earn at any other club. Good on him, he's earned it. Hopefully he puts Gold Coast in a state in which they can actually be a benefit to the league in entirety by growing the pie.

The AFL are trying to make their investment in the greater game work. I really don't see what your issue is here. It benefits Richmond to have a solvent and workable franchise in Queensland that helps produce more quality players for the league.

Further, histrionics aside, what legal action do you propose? Bloke resigned and is free to bargain with whomever he wants.

Let bygones be and let us focus on what makes us a successful side going forward instead of worrying about the past. That's what cooked us in the 80s and 90s.

The $200k per year ambassadorial is only there to stop the deal looking totally unrealistic.

On books Suns will pay $900-1m and AFL $200k I am guessing.

But I am here to doubt that would have been enough to induce Damien out of his lucrative Tiger deal.

The AFL is only publicising this $200k pa ambassadorial payment to give people something "acceptable" to get outraged about. I do not trust that organisation, not one bit. There will be cash or crypto or some other benefit or inducement taking place.

So I am reading that the AFL has included an ambassadorial payment to Hardwick within the GC suns deal. Surely we as a club should be considering legal action. Having one of the best coaches of all time poached mid season and incentivised by the league that regulates and promotes a fair competition is an absolute disgrace. We should be lawyering up and going for the jugular including subpoenaing emails for this investigation which should also include umpiring corruption and rule corruption. The club should throw a large chunk of cash reserves at this. I personally would support a member class action.
Mate... you are asking the wrong questions here.... everyone that is anyone in Richmond knew that Dimma was going to be at the Gold Coast at least 4 weeks before the Bombers game...

Last edited:
Who cares. Maybe GC wins a flag under Hardwick, maybe they dont. They probably won't...let's be honest this is their last roll of the dice. And he won't have as understanding support like he did with Peggy and Benny.

He's a turnkey coach now. No 5 year plan. They need to be playing finals next year or look out. Hope he's "energised" for it.

Hardwick had taken us as far as he could. Listen to the bloke himself, he was well and truly done here and didn't think he had a message that could take us forward.

He's had a freshen up and been offered more money than he could not possibly hope to earn at any other club. Good on him, he's earned it. Hopefully he puts Gold Coast in a state in which they can actually be a benefit to the league in entirety by growing the pie.

The AFL are trying to make their investment in the greater game work. I really don't see what your issue is here. It benefits Richmond to have a solvent and workable franchise in Queensland that helps produce more quality players for the league.

Further, histrionics aside, what legal action do you propose? Bloke resigned and is free to bargain with whomever he wants.

Let bygones be and let us focus on what makes us a successful side going forward instead of worrying about the past. That's what cooked us in the 80s and 90s.
The issue with a large ambassadorial payment is that it will be outside of the Soft Cap and will most likely be the main make up of his wage. This is cheating.

Move along.... Nothing to See Here
Look Away Channel 9 GIF by Married At First Sight

I dont care if Gold Coast start to prosper. Im an underdog man even though they are an extension of the AFL grab for cash scheme. We raided that team for players that got us premierships more than we raided Fitzroy when they were on their knees.

Would rather we prioritised the umpiring issue first. Having to go out there and be a 4 goal better side to break par wore us down in the end.

More than happy to see us on an even playing field in that area and have the Gold Coast Suns finally move up the ladder. Im glad Dimma has left and as far as I am concerned he is entitled to do well in his post Richmond career given what he brought to the club.

He wanted to keep us pushing for another premiership and id be looking at our development coach as to why the cupboard is so bare in the under 23 department. Lambert has only been there one year so it shouldnt be on him.

I doubt this will end well for GC. Messiah coaches rarely do.

AFL are clueless re GC and just selling false hope, something us Tiger fans know only too well from the forgotten years.

They need a Benny Gale type up there, not a Hardwick. Issues at that club run deeper than the coach.

The big winners from all this $hould be Hardwick, not on field, and Richmond with a 2010/2017 type reboot.

The issue with a large ambassadorial payment is that it will be outside of the Soft Cap and will most likely be the main make up of his wage. This is cheating.
I think your take on any sort of concessions that a team like Gold Coast get being 'cheating' is quite frankly just a bit of a hot take. Also I'm not convinced any payment will be the 'main make up' of the wage in any way shape or form as it is designed around him participating in more outreach activities to try and support the footy community up there.

Let's imagine a world where there were no ambassadorial payments, draft concessions or generous localised zones for Gold Coast. What do you think happens? The club finishes down the bottom every year, attracts zero sponsors, fans and fails to grow the game in a rugby league dominant state. That then becomes a financial anchor for the rest of the league (including Richmond) and further ensures that in 100 years AFL is dead and buried or back to being played in the three southern mainland states as a niche local sport.

They already get generous concessions, ambassadorial payments and enormous cash injections and still finish down the bottom every year for heavens sake.

AFL are clueless re GC and just selling false hope, something us Tiger fans know only too well from the forgotten years.

They need a Benny Gale type up there, not a Hardwick. Issues at that club run deeper than the coach.

The big winners from all this $hould be Hardwick, not on field, and Richmond with a 2010/2017 type reboot.
I'm not sure. I can see parallels between when Leigh Matthews took over the Brisbane Lions. They've got a pretty good list up there now, with the last couple of holes set to be filled by their academy kids in this year's draft.

However, I don't think it would hurt them to bring in a couple of older wise heads to help guide them, like GWS did with blokes like Shaw and Mumford. Vlastuin or Grimes would be perfect for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I made the point earlier that prob went thru to keeper , imagine boot on other foot and we lured a coach of his status our way to break contract ,,,,the media would be all over it to rat us out ,,, no doubt we’ve been dry rooted here and if dimma was having these discussions pre season which he was he should have fkd off then

DIMMA.gif

I reckon he ll get them to finals but they aint winning in September away from GC

The $200k per year ambassadorial is only there to stop the deal looking totally unrealistic.

On books Suns will pay $900-1m and AFL $200k I am guessing.

But I am here to doubt that would have been enough to induce Damien out of his lucrative Tiger deal.

The AFL is only publicising this $200k pa ambassadorial payment to give people something "acceptable" to get outraged about. I do not trust that organisation, not one bit. There will be cash or crypto or some other benefit or inducement taking place.
He'd have been pretty keen to get out of Melbourne - that's OK. Living with any sort of acrimony is tricky enough, can't imagine it his dilemma. Think it is win / win to be honest. Not sure he could re-invent himself again with us - not even sure he will at the GC, but he'll be better at the gig than Dewey.

Wonder if Trent will find an assistant role up their too?! They are very tight.

Of course they did. They did the same thing with Plugger who had verbally agreed to join us before the AFL stepped in and paid him an ambassadorial payment bonus to go to the Swans...

Personally, it doesn't bother me that he will be coaching another club. I only look at our own club and Dimma's time was up. He did us a favour leaving instead of hanging around trying to extract juice from an already squeezed fruit.

The outrage should be how he left our list not the fact we lost a coach that won us 3 flags. If he left and we had an emerging young key forward then I'd be a lot happier. We already had Lynch and Riewoldt I get it, but not to have selected a young forward in the national draft in the past 2 seasons is really ignorant.

The Taranto and Hopper trades don't bother me, our midfield needed them. You can't just gut a team and fill it with pure youth, you need to have some age balance but to have 5 picks in the top 30 the year before and only select Gibcus as a key position player is poor planning.

No soft cap issues there

I think your take on any sort of concessions that a team like Gold Coast get being 'cheating' is quite frankly just a bit of a hot take. Also I'm not convinced any payment will be the 'main make up' of the wage in any way shape or form as it is designed around him participating in more outreach activities to try and support the footy community up there.

Let's imagine a world where there were no ambassadorial payments, draft concessions or generous localised zones for Gold Coast. What do you think happens? The club finishes down the bottom every year, attracts zero sponsors, fans and fails to grow the game in a rugby league dominant state. That then becomes a financial anchor for the rest of the league (including Richmond) and further ensures that in 100 years AFL is dead and buried or back to being played in the three southern mainland states as a niche local sport.

They already get generous concessions, ambassadorial payments and enormous cash injections and still finish down the bottom every year for heavens sake.
Oh man how are your unicorns if you believe this, it’s cheating all the other clubs need to abide by the celery cap and the soft cap we have been decimated by the soft cap in our coaching ranks , it’s outright corruption

I made the point earlier that prob went thru to keeper , imagine boot on other foot and we lured a coach of his status our way to break contract ,,,,the media would be all over it to rat us out ,,, no doubt we’ve been dry rooted here and if dimma was having these discussions pre season which he was he should have fkd off then
I did say he met with GC at the gather round

100% this,the standards you pass by are the standards u accept,no more whingeing if one thinks this is acceptable behaviour from the CFL.No offence to anybody on here but i give FA of my hard earned to the CFL,theyre *ing banned in my world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back