Coach Hey 'Supporters', have some respect for Hardwick and all he has done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep you’ve won me. That big enough sample size. Get the message to Dimma Balmey and Co. pack her up send the club to the bottom according to this astute poster it’s a sure fire way to success. Wow

You would think a rusted on Tiger supporter would be raving about our strategy that delivered 3 flags. Nup.
That just papered over the cracks.
Let’s tank for draft picks and look to contend in 10 years, after our entire talent base is turned over.

Yep you’ve won me. That big enough sample size. Get the message to Dimma Balmey and Co. pack her up send the club to the bottom according to this astute poster it’s a sure fire way to success. Wow

Given that we’re currently 16th, how will I know when they’ve taken my advice as opposed to just doing what they’re currently doing?

You would think a rusted on Tiger supporter would be raving about our strategy that delivered 3 flags. Nup.
That just papered over the cracks.
Let’s tank for draft picks and look to contend in 10 years, after our entire talent base is turned over.

You do realise, don’t you, that getting and nailing pick two (2007) and pick three (2009) was crucial to winning those flags?

You do realise, don’t you, that getting and nailing pick two (2007) and pick three (2009) was crucial to winning those flags?

Lynch, Prestia, Caddy, Nank, Houli, Grigg, and a plethora of low picks, rookies, etc.
Seriously it’s absolutely clear that relying on the magic beans of one or two high draft picks is not the answer. And you wreck the culture of the joint in the process of tanking.

Lynch, Prestia, Caddy, Nank, Houli, Grigg, and a plethora of low picks, rookies, etc.
Seriously it’s absolutely clear that relying on the magic beans of one or two high draft picks is not the answer. And you wreck the culture of the joint in the process of tanking.

As good as some of the names on your list are, I still don’t think we win flags without Cotchin and Martin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’d had draft picks previously and failed to allow them to develop to their full potential . Don’t reckon this bloke gets enough credit for altering the culture .
BFC8527A-8C8D-41D8-82E2-67D0E9095496.jpeg

Maybe its time we have another one of those Interventions, because things aren't real great right now.
Don't think its panic stations just yet.There are reasons behind our season.Losing our #1 Ruckman/Fwd/Young back doesn't help. compounded by the slowing down of a few champions in Cotch/Jack & Grimes.Remember we made finals last year albeit a quick exit.
But it is fair to say that its a 50/50 call if next year will be Dimmas last at the club.

We’d had draft picks previously and failed to allow them to develop to their full potential . Don’t reckon this bloke gets enough credit for altering the culture .
View attachment 1679317

Always had a bit of time for him and it was a shame his career didn't quite line-up with Richmond's brief period of success. You're probably right that we failed to develop some of our previous draft picks. I also think we just made some horrendous choices, including (for whatever reasons) overlooking a number of future stars of the competition.

No irritation on my part, you talk about Martin mentioning the assistants in 2017, half of those assistants then went on to do absolutely nothing at another club.

So you tell me, seems pretty clear that our senior coach had a lot to do with our success.

Dimma started coaching in 2010 after Wallace left us in complete shambles except for a couple of decent picks. In Dimma's time we have made finals in 8 out of those 13 seasons, prior to Hardwick you could count how many times we made a finals series with 2 fingers in nearly 30 years. (1995, 2001).

You can't down play that stat alone. In just half the time, Dimma's teams have made the finals 4 times over (4 x 2 = 8) what our club did in a generation.

Don't tell me it's mainly because of his assistants. That's a cop out excuse to try and fit your narrative because we have been poor this year.
So what you mention in your first line is part of the respect I have for Dimma in my first post you quoted yesterday. Being a fantastic people manager he got the best from all those around him. So I think recently there is another issue. Since 2016 all the assistants who have left us have taken jobs else where. We haven't seemingly fired anyone (from the outside looking in this seems true. We could of fired people when the cap was introduced) and perhaps that is the issue. Maybe Dimma can no longer extract gold because;

1. Maybe Carro was right about the affair but wrong about who it actually caused an issue with. I am being very classist and snobbish, however, I just can't see the majority of blokes in the football fraternity giving a s**t about a bloke cheating on his wife. Hell AFL house had a sex ring and all they got punished with was a CEO role at St Kilda.
2. The assistants actually have nothing to provide
3. The assistants have become complacent due to the longevity of their tenure.
4. He has stopped listening to them fully and has taken back too much control like he did in 2016. It would only be human of him to try and catch that falling knife and start to regress to wanting to be more hands on because things are not going our way.

looking back thru history we bowed out in a prelim in '75 after going BTB '74-'75.missed the finals in'76 and we moved the legendary Tom Hafey
on after 11 seasons in charge,there was uproar for that decision but the club bounced back to win a final in '77 our first season with a new coach with a group of young players that would contribute massively to us being the premiers once again only 3 seasons after that '77 finals exit
we have a history of missing finals and winning flags the very next season both with the same coach and with a new one in theyre 2nd season,this club is very resillient to change of personnel in the coaching ranks,im not too concerned if we have a new coach next season,evrything and everyone has theyre expiry date its time for an overhaul no matter what angle you look at it,new assistants and a new coach is just what this great club requires for season 2024
and beyond,you acknowledge the past with the respect it deserves and we look fwd to the future,hanging onto the past sets you back but you can learn from it

Last edited:
As good as some of the names on your list are, I still don’t think we win flags without Cotchin and Martin
It's not either/or, that is the thing. In some respects it can be less about the players too.

Don't think its panic stations just yet.There are reasons behind our season.Losing our #1 Ruckman/Fwd/Young back doesn't help. compounded by the slowing down of a few champions in Cotch/Jack & Grimes.Remember we made finals last year albeit a quick exit.
But it is fair to say that its a 50/50 call if next year will be Dimmas last at the club.

Not even sure it is fair - but it is the way it is!

I'm not sure I see it that way. I think we had a few good seasons in Richo's time but just lacked that little bit of quality. Cotchin and Martin changed that.
The players were great, but a lot off the field changed things up to enable the players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back