Anyone else feel like theyre mourning a death?

Remove this Banner Ad

end of an era, but we're not going anywhere - time we will see us back up there. hopefully this time it wont take 30years!
I'd like to think so...but I reckon the Club must grow even bigger...average 150,000 members, rebuild Punt Road...and only then when we are rivalling the AFL in size are we a chance to win GFs again...cos the AFL Old Boys Club has an equalization plan for the minnows of the Comp!

to put it into an analogy

we've had our piece of cake but we've been trying to savour it but its now gone mouldy before we could really enjoy it and now we fear when we will get our next bit of cake
Let Them Eat Cake GIF by Kinda Funny

The night they drove old Dixie down
And the bells were ringing
The night they drove old Dixie down
And the people were singing
They went, "La, la, la"

By May the tenth, Richmond had fell
It's a time I remember, oh so well

Halfway through the year of 2023...
Dimma had left and things were not going well...
It's a time I remember, oh so well
Then our Captain upt and went and the side looked so tired and spent...
The night they drove old Dixie down, "La, la. la"
Then JR8 our sharp shooter decided he'd leave the Richmond tent...
"La, la, la"
The night they drove old Dixie down...

Joan baez version much better

Yeh, I can identify, but this Dynasty died a while back. (In Perth in 21, was the moment when the Coolade wore off)

I will be there on the weekend to say Goodbye to Cotch and JR8, but probably just as a service to my older self that will want to look back in years to come

But me right now, is sick of worshipping like gods ex premiership players that have been sub standard for the best part of three years.
The afl ****ed us and west coast before that game in changing both our byes one week later instead of the scheduled bye one week earlier
Both clubs have never been the same since, no way was the afl going to let us and the Eagles win another flag
After that game we lost 7 out of 9 games % was 105 finished at 97.92
Eagles lost 7 out of 9 games also % was 107 ended up 93.19
Thanks afl nothing corrupt at all

Last edited:
  • Retirements of Trent and Jack
  • Hardwick getting announced soon looming like a dark cloud.
  • Vultures circling Dusty
  • All coaching candidates dropping out like flies.
  • On field shimozzle
  • No draft picks to get excited about

It's pretty grim, any light at the end of the tunnel for us here?

2023 has become an absolute abhorrent season.
Retirements are very sad especially when they are champions.
Hardwick couldn't care less about him. At least we don't have to listen to him butchering the English language at our club.
Surprised not every man, woman and dog is putting their hand up to coach us. Newy would be a fav.
Performances this season have been nothing short of atrocious on many occasions.
Draft position at this stage is horrible reading, we have zero hand in it considering our teams woeful predicament.
There are some long winters ahead until we can get over the TT and JH deals and get back to the draft at the pointy end.
We lack talent.

While we are talking about our champs calling it a day, does anyone else have a feeling Dusty will play out his contract next year and retire after the season is over?

I don't see him announcing his retirement like Trent and Jack have and doing a presser. Some fans might be sad they won't be able to say their farewells but I reckon that's the Dusty way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh, I can identify, but this Dynasty died a while back. (In Perth in 21, was the moment when the Coolade wore off)

I will be there on the weekend to say Goodbye to Cotch and JR8, but probably just as a service to my older self that will want to look back in years to come

But me right now, is sick of worshipping like gods ex premiership players that have been sub standard for the best part of three years.
Not just sub standard x premiership players also x premiership coaches x premiership recruiters x premiership fitness staff x premiership CEO I think the club became incompetent when Peggy left .

No but I’ll be a blubbering mess standing from my res seat in M1 as they’re carried from the ground , we been robbed of seeing our past champs off , not this time

100% We have been terrible at goodbyes

Last moment of real importance to happen in Melbourne was the 2019 GF. I fortunately got to share the 2020 GF as it was in brisbane, but for the heart of the club, the 2019GF was a lifetime ago. We just won the flag by a huge amount, debuting Pickett who looked like a genuine superstar in the making, Rance due to come back for a year old looking fitter than ever, Stack & Higgins exciting prospects. Everything was coming up Milhouse for us. But soon after that Rance retired unexpectedly with a "nothing to see here" stink to it, then covid, etc.

Its been basically 4 years since Melbourne had a moment to enjoy or appreciate our success. Enjoy it fella's - i would love to be there, but as all true tigers, i suck at goodbyes

Yes. It’s really the end of an era. Even if we win a premiership next year it’ll be different.

I’m not sure I’ll see another “era” in my lifetime, but thankful for this one.

dang, you are probably right. It took 37 years to get this one, who knows what happens next. Now i gotta drink

Not just sub standard x premiership players also x premiership coaches x premiership recruiters x premiership fitness staff x premiership CEO I think the club became incompetent when Peggy left .

It went downhill after the $FL decided to cut everyones (OUR) coaching cap.

They gave us 3 flags.

Blessed Tigers.

A day of reflection and celebration.

I truly believe this club will never go into that long abyss of no premierships again.

The next chapter begins.
I'm with you.
I remember those days ,particularly 1986- 93 when we had no money , zilch , nothing. Embarrassing. We couldn't get enough money to recruit Derek Kickett, guys like Trevor Poole was dudded so left the club , the treatment of Michael Pickering (still to me a true great of Tigerland, never given the accolades he deserved), Tim Barling going to Sydney, Bomber James & Maurice Rioli being seriously courted by Sydney, Brett Chalmers refusing to come over. Peter Wilson jumping ship at the first chance. All because we were easy pickings and had no money. With Benny and the Team setting us up for by making sure all the pillars are strong, we will never have that issue again. Sure we might have to eat the sh*t sandwich for a short time, but its going to be great to watch the rise again.

I'm 35, so don't remember much before our great dynasty, other than being s**t. Richo, Daffy, Knights, Gale brothers etc... but no real success obviously.

Only thing I remember from this period is my family and extended family most of whom go Tigers, always talking about the glory days of the 1960s/1970s, especially after a few beers.

I suspect I'll be doing the same about this era in good time.

All good things come to an end, they become feelings and memories. Which is good enough.

Few tough years ahead, probably, but we will be back up there. Probably not going to win 3 out 4 again soon, but will be in the mix again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back