Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say that Gowers and Hayes have been above-expectation recruits from the VFL list, given that a typical mature-aged recruit might play 10-15 games average in their career
Not sure if that's tongue in cheek or not. But just in case it's not ...

When we recruit mature agers from the VFL we are aiming to find those rare genuine success stories like Liam Picken (198 games), Matty Boyd (292 games) or Dale Morris (253 games). All three played in the 2016 flag.

I have no problem with us giving Gowers, Hayes, Cavarra, Scott etc a chance but we should be churning through those types as quickly as we can assess their ceiling is not quite up to AFL standard.

Whether they exceeded the game averages or "expectations" is immaterial. You expect the majority of those types won't make it.

You measure your success on the players who play 100 games or more, or else make a big impact in some other way, such as James Podsiadly, a mature-ager who only played 80 odd games for Geelong but kicked 52 goals as a member of their premiership side in 2011.

Probably as a small forward. Competing with Cav and Weightman and West.
Given our stacked midfield and the need to rotate Macrae, Baz, Hunter and Treloar through the wings and Bont, Dunks and Libba through a forward role at times, that probably leaves Vandermeer, Hannan, MacLean,, Lipinsk, Dale, Richards, Garcia, Cavarra, Weightman, West, McNeil, Jong, Bedendo, Roarke and Hayes fighting for a couple of spots.

15 players fighting for 2-3 spots as mobile forwards with a little bit of wing rotation. That's a lot of competition.

Last edited:
Lol Schache in defence 🤦🏼‍♂️

Caleb Daniel would be better in the ruck.

in defence you need to run at the ball and contests. Some of you must have missed the fact that is Josh’s biggest issue. He would be at best really ordinary and more likely embarrassing in the backline
Have you seen him play defence?

I remember all the MBoyd posts about how can he play defence when he can’t kick

Nothing ventured nothing gained I would hope our coaches look at all possibilities and think outside the square.

Those years under McCartney were farking abominable. and then listening to his press conferences. what a spud of a coach. and Peter rhode, FMD. That was absolute hell... I used to walk out of games at half time, it was so bad.
So that was you I used to see on the walkway to Southern Cross as I was discreetly taking my scarf off on the way into DFO

We have had some shocking coaches over the years. Those of us old enough to remember Royce Hart see everyone else as a pale imitation of true horror.
LOL yes good old Roycey. Classic example of a champion player makin a s**t coach.

Still he was responsible for one of our greatest ever wins after losing 12 straight beating Fitzroy at Junction Oval and inspiring my number 2 Shane Loveless jumper I still have hanging in my wardrobe

LOL yes good old Roycey. Classic example of a champion player makin a sh*t coach.

Still he was responsible for one of our greatest ever wins after losing 12 straight beating Fitzroy at Junction Oval and inspiring my number 2 Shane Loveless jumper I still have hanging in my wardrobe
Yep. In Royce's time any win was an occassion to revel in. I particularly remember beating Melbourne at Waverley one day after a string of losses, with both Loveless and Stevey Knight kicking bags. There were bugger all in the crowd but we were deliriious. The next week we got absolutely smashed by Carlton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. In Royce's time any win was an occassion to revel in. I particularly remember beating Melbourne at Waverley one day after a string of losses, with both Loveless and Stevey Knight kicking bags. There were bugger all in the crowd but we were deliriious. The next week we got absolutely smashed by Carlton
I was there in my number 2

i still remember Loveless at the Western/Whitten Oval in a reserves game running the full length of the ground to get from FF to FB to join in a fight. Self control was not one of Shane’s strengths back in those days!

Have you seen him play defence?

I remember all the MBoyd posts about how can he play defence when he can’t kick

Nothing ventured nothing gained I would hope our coaches look at all possibilities and think outside the square.

M Boyd was never timid or scared of body contact.

Plenty of players that can’t kick well have played backline very well(Wood and Moz to name two), name one that didn’t like to be in contests.... I will wait.

I don’t need to see Caleb Daniel in the ruck to know it won’t work.

Given your interest, do you know much about him? Anything you can tell us?

I dont know anyrhing more about him other than what Ive read.

Garcia was discussed a fair bit on the Eagles draft page by several locals who watched alot of u18s. He was highly rated and played very well against the top Vic mids who were early picks. It was just a shame he did his knee.

Last seasin I asked and reports were he was impressing the club and teammates.

With the surprise pick up of Treloar that will keep a younger mid out of the side.

A little bit of Dreamteam interest.

And would love to somehow get him to the Eagles at some stage, he sounds like a quality kid, just unlucky.

With all the competition for midfield spots.
I hope we are giving them all specialized training ,in forward craft and positioning.
Could be a real weapon with unlimited rotations keeping them all fresh.
Then doing damage on the scoreboard.

Essendon finally signed Kyle Dunkley to their vfl list lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back