Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that actually concerned me to a certain extent was Teague saying that Durdin was taking a lot of marks on the lead which is not ideal having your crumbing small forward using up leading space and actually drawing the ball from up field players, wish he was talking about H, McGovern etc doing this rather than a 175cm player.

Doesnt sound like an issue to me, player leads at the ball, either is a target (id presume a leadup easy mark target) and if not used then he circles back and gets the crumb. Perfect small pocket fwd play

One thing that actually concerned me to a certain extent was Teague saying that Durdin was taking a lot of marks on the lead which is not ideal having your crumbing small forward using up leading space and actually drawing the ball from up field players, wish he was talking about H, McGovern etc doing this rather than a 175cm player.
Huuuuge part of Jamie Elliot's game.

I thought that after watching his predraft footage, but when you play forward you need to have more than just a single string to your bow. If he is capable of losing his defender on a lead, and gets to a spot from which he can kick a goal, I see no issue.

I think Willo and Newnes can co exist and I believe that's the way it will play out
For sure. Given our apparent squad depth improvement I can also see a scenario, albeit unlikely, where both Willo & Newnes miss out on selection.

Each year the hard part of picking a 22 is becoming less about who to fill the last few spots with and more about who misses out... this year it feels like there will be a handful of players 'unlucky to make the emergencies'. And that's with a few big names unavailable for the start of the season.

Going to be interesting this time next week after we've had our scratch match against *. Hopefully there's some good reports, from CFC & 'neutral' journos/track-watchers, plus some video.

Huuuuge part of Jamie Elliot's game.

I thought that after watching his predraft footage, but when you play forward you need to have more than just a single string to your bow. If he is capable of losing his defender on a lead, and gets to a spot from which he can kick a goal, I see no issue.
It was also a sneakily good part of Eddie Betts game and to a lesser extent Jeff Garlett when with us. Eddie in particular was often mentioned by commentators as being underrated on the lead.

I think it's an important part of a what makes a really good small forwards. Iirc Milne was quite good on the lead as well.

It was also a sneakily good part of Eddie Betts game and to a lesser extent Jeff Garlett when with us. Eddie in particular was often mentioned by commentators as being underrated on the lead.

I think it's an important part of a what makes a really good small forwards. Iirc Milne was quite good on the lead as well.
There's a reason it was a bit of a joke around here how often Eddie playing as a one out key forward against three defenders is how we'd structure up sometimes under Ratts.

People remember the flashy s**t; the snap from the pocket while off balance, the dribble kick, the 'I've just evaded six blokes and made two of them look horrendously silly before kicking an easy goal'. They don't remember the simple leadup mark into the set shot. Breust was as complete a small forward as the other two Hawthorn rolled around with, yet the enduring memory I have of him was that he simply never missed a set shot.

The lack of set shot accuracy cost us a few games last year - the five goal run ons that opposiiton teams got- included quite often 2-3 set shot misses on our part.
having 30 points kicked on you in quick succession loses a bit of the sting if you've at least managed 18 points in the same period...

No doubt that under Teague we have played a more attacking style, one would say a finals style

Interesting stat, that we have conceded 5 goal swing/run ons in 17 of our last 27 games, even though we ranked top 4 last year for quaters won

There needs to be a much better balance in tempo, when sides come at us hard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a reason it was a bit of a joke around here how often Eddie playing as a one out key forward against three defenders is how we'd structure up sometimes under Ratts.

People remember the flashy sh*t; the snap from the pocket while off balance, the dribble kick, the 'I've just evaded six blokes and made two of them look horrendously silly before kicking an easy goal'. They don't remember the simple leadup mark into the set shot. Breust was as complete a small forward as the other two Hawthorn rolled around with, yet the enduring memory I have of him was that he simply never missed a set shot.

It’s a great asset if they can finish. There is no rule that suggests you have to be 6”10 to take a mark.

I guess that begs the question. What is Durdins set shot kicking like?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No doubt that under Teague we have played a more attacking style, one would say a finals style

Interesting stat, that we have conceded 5 goal swing/run ons in 17 of our last 27 games, even though we ranked top 4 last year for quaters won

I am thinking it isnt always that sides come hard, sometimes its us dropping off. That is a common theme with developing teams in any sport.

Some of his work by foot late in the year was exceptional and off both feet as well, has massive upside still Gibbo and knows how to lower his eyes when looking inside 50.
His work rate is first class but he also runs too the right areas he reads the play very well, i think he along with some others playing forward of the play will have far greater impacts with the teams improvement in general this year particularly the I50 movement/delivery connection...

Last edited:

It's a big psychological hurdle too.

The more it happens, the more our players will see a 3-goal blitz from the opposition as "its happening again" and drop their heads, coughing up the next 2-3 goals as well.

And opposition sides won't see a 5 goal deficit as unrealistic to chase, knowing that we're prone to giving them a free pass for 20 mins.

Need to build a reputation as a team that won't let other sides get more than 2 unanswered goals. That way when we build a lead it's the opposition who are dropping their heads.

You don't even really need to go back that far. Check out our play in 2009-2011, under Rats. Plenty of space in which to run, plenty of space to lead and to make leads.

Funny I remember Rats pushing forwards up high alot and left the forward line open for our three amigos to run into on the fast break/off side goals back then.
We beat Geelong one match with this game plan I remember when we were huge underdogs.
Betts, Garlett and Yarran killed it running into open goals.

PRETTY MUCH WHAT COACHES ARE TRYING TO SET UP NOW and there are more of this type of scores than ever.

I would love D.T. to have the courage to leave at least Harry or Levi and a small inside 50 at ALL TIMES.

This throws out the numbers at stoppages and defensive zone set ups they all play BUT with a FIT CRIPPA in there
not having to worry about outside play ,simply extracting..... We would be away more often than not IMO.

Only at quarter starts and after goals (for about 30 seconds) with 6/6/6 do we see how fast you can score getting a centre clearance to your forwards one on one.

COULD WIN US A FLAG IMO.......D.T. has hinted at a more attacking game plan.

Love to see it and if one team is successful with it others would follow and we would all love to see more open attacking games.

It's a big psychological hurdle too.

The more it happens, the more our players will see a 3-goal blitz from the opposition as "its happening again" and drop their heads, coughing up the next 2-3 goals as well.

And opposition sides won't see a 5 goal deficit as unrealistic to chase, knowing that we're prone to giving them a free pass for 20 mins.

Need to build a reputation as a team that won't let other sides get more than 2 unanswered goals. That way when we build a lead it's the opposition who are dropping their heads.

It really is a number of factors. You're right, player mindset is a major factor, add to that a gameplan, of man on man v zone in different periods, forwards not working hard enough to support mids, mids not supporting backs.

Or, is it that our gamestyle was predictable and sides knew if they lifted their intensity for periods, they could not only score quickly, but also stifle our attacking nature

I still believe that we generally had only one or two gears, attacking gears and Teague was either reluctant to shut the game down or didn't know how.

That's the evolution I want to see, more tempo based on momentum of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back