Opinion Brisbane Olympics

Remove this Banner Ad

I played competitive squash in my youth and absolutely loved it, still along with Futsal my all time favourite sports to play. Both would be fantastic Olympic events, if you've ever watched high level Futsal the skills are amazing.

I'm with you on the swimming as well, I can appreciate the skill and dedication required to be elite at it(or any endeavour) but one of if not the most boring spectator sports of all time IMO, right up there with paint drying and grass growing... each to their own though.
Completely agree, Futsal should be in; I mean handball is in, so I can't see why Futsal wouldn't be.

Dodgeball perhaps. ;)

Or even Mr Ripper's favourite; BASEketball?:p

About a week ago, I don't know if you've seen it, but I stumbled across this obscure sport, Teqball, that is a cross between football and table tennis. The skills in that were pretty amazing, although I'm not advocating for that to be in. They still get good crowds in Europe and South America, more than what you would at most Olympic sports (go to about the 7 minute mark which features none other than William Gallas):

Skills are better in this one:

Would be absolutely fantastic if they build a new stadium inner city and then turn the Gabba site into parklands. Inner south and east needs some more green spaces. Would love it if they expand the busway eastwards and really focus on public transport. A strong public transport network will encourage the inner city densification needed to really elevate Brisbane to the next tier of cities.

Of the three Stadium sites mentioned the Mayne Road (Bowen Hills) Rail Yards would be a good location for the stadium as ideally you need a rail connection
Has been talks for years about relocating these rail yards
I think you're on the money there, the rail yards are by far the best location. Prime inner city land being under-utilised. Albion Park could probably work with a new station across Breakfast Creek and a pedestrian bridge, but ideally you'd want it next door to a station for the mobility impaired, plus all the snobs in Hamilton will probably complain. The RNA Showgrounds are indeed pretty cramped, you'd have to sink the railway line to get enough space for such a large stadium, but that might not even be possible since it's so close to the northern end of the Clem Jones Tunnel.

For the Rail Yard you probably need to relocate Bowen Hills Station to where Cross River Rail comes out north of the present location (see map below)
This would also fix one of the drawbacks of CRR, where you can't get from the Ferny Grove line to the Exhibition station without either walking for a kilometre or doing a big circle through Roma St. And moving the rail yards opens up heaps of land for housing. I'm generally not in favour of spending money on the Olympics, but if it gets us to make smart decisions like this with infrastructure, I can swallow it.

next thing they'll have tug o war, tiddlywinks or Uno.
They actually had tug of war at every modern Olympics until 1920.

Would be absolutely fantastic if they build a new stadium inner city and then turn the Gabba site into parklands. Inner south and east needs some more green spaces.
Parkland would be lovely for the western half of the site. For the eastern half I reckon the school next door should expand, then they could have a proper oval.

Would love it if they expand the busway eastwards and really focus on public transport. A strong public transport network will encourage the inner city densification needed to really elevate Brisbane to the next tier of cities.
Nice as that would be, I'm not sure if the government would be willing to make the necessary property resumptions. That's one of the big reasons busways haven't really expanded much in the past decade.

I think you're on the money there, the rail yards are by far the best location. Prime inner city land being under-utilised. Albion Park could probably work with a new station across Breakfast Creek and a pedestrian bridge, but ideally you'd want it next door to a station for the mobility impaired, plus all the snobs in Hamilton will probably complain. The RNA Showgrounds are indeed pretty cramped, you'd have to sink the railway line to get enough space for such a large stadium, but that might not even be possible since it's so close to the northern end of the Clem Jones Tunnel.
Ahem.

Sent from my balcony overlooking the Brisbane River with a glorious view of the city.

I wouldn't be the slightest bit concerned if the Olympics was put in a bin for all eternity.

I mean if we are being honest, pretty much most events if they were being conducted by themselves and outside of the Olympics / Commonwealth Games would attract less people than an u/12's games of footy at a local suburban park.
Needs more Jamaican bobsled teams

I'd be psyched to go to a much bigger stadium but let's be honest 80000 is probably not going to be filled most of the time.

On top of that, you have legitimate athletes playing squash (not a sport I play or watch that has huge participation and interest) and even CrossFit and Obstacle Course Racing (OCR) that attract huge crowds and feature, IMO, the very best athletes in the world (although I dare say neither sports would even want to be in the Olympics / Commonwealth Games), MMA (again, the UFC, Belator probably wouldn't even want to be a part of it either), yet karate, taekwondo and boxing are.

I don't know, but there are a lot of variations of sports in the Olympics that are in i.e. rugby 7's, yet other forms of rugby aren't, basketball, but netball isn't and then popular sports such as CrossFit and OCR are massive upgrades on existing sports i.e. decathlon which have huge followings. Then you have old events such as fencing and modern pentathlon still going which appeals to who exactly?

It is really hard taking the Olympic Games seriously anymore and why I think they are becoming more and more irrelevant.

And don't get me started on the fake hype that TV networks and the media continually spout about swimming. :rolleyes:
CrossFit might bring in a good amount of spectators but they would really need to sort out the technique on some of their events for it to be an Olympic sport. I remember watching one even where chin-ups were involved and I didn't see one actual chin-up. I wouldn't say that it's an improvement on the decathlon either not that the decathlon is particularly great.

Boxing is in but until last Olympics only amateurs were eligible which was always ridiculous given that the term amateur is pretty loose. I don't know how someone who is paid to train etc by the government but not paid for a fight can still be considered amateur. The rules are different as are the duration of the fights in the Olympics. I'm not sure you could make the required changes to have MMA be an Olympic sport, while still having it look like an MMA fight. Pads, less rounds and modified rules would make it look nothing like MMA. Perhaps combat Sambo could be a better option than MMA, points are awarded for TDs, a knockdown from a strike is considered a TD and you're only given a certain amount of time to work on the ground. The quick turn around the fighters would have to do for MMA would be another obstacle. The rules that Taekwondo and Karate are held under are shithouse. Fencing would probably be a better sport if it was more realistic ie not bogged down by shitty 'sport' rules like Jui Jitsu, TKD, Karate etc.

Swimming is so hyped here because it's by far and away our most successful Olympic sport. I actually enjoy watching it when the Olympics are on but I wouldn't go and watch every weekend. Same goes for running.

If you want to talk about a sport that shouldn't be in the Olympics I would like to nominate Dressage, I'm not keen on equestrian as a whole but dressage is IMO the worst one of the lot in the Olympics. Soccer is in their with modified rules so I guess it more like a youth competition which I think is fine. I'd get rid of Basketball as well, it's really only played to a high professional standard in one country who have won every gold medal bar 3 when all their best players where professional. Breaking being in is hilarious.

Yer I sort of agree, for a sport to be in the Olympics I think it needs to be the absolute pinnacle of that sports achievement, things like tennis, golf, soccer shouldn't be in it. I just had a look at a current list of summer Olympic sports and most of them do not appeal to me in any way, there is one in there called Breaking which is a street dance style... really Olympic sport:think::rolleyes:, next thing they'll have tug o war, tiddlywinks or Uno.

I'm with you on the first point. The Olympics should be the ultimate prize for the sport to be included. When you have a heap of the best tennis or golf players choosing to rest instead of attend or even attend just for the novelty, you really have to question that sports inclusion. The same could be said for basketball, although it is only really one country (USA) that doesn't send their genuinely best team. Soccer seems a little strange being an under 21 thing and with the World Cup being arguably bigger than the Olympics I'm not sure it should really be there.
I think the traditional Olympic sports should remain regardless of popularity. I'm particular sports like athletics and swimming are really the pinnacle of athletic achievement and are sports almost every human has had a crack at while at school. Who is the fastest, who can throw something further than anyone else, who can get to the other end of the pool quickest etc. I hold a huge level of respect to those who rise to the top of these sports because of just how difficult it is to make it to the top. You are competing with millions if not billions of people for those gold medals.

Some other sports just do not have that level of competition regardless of how popular they may be. I remember reading a book written by an anonymous Olympian who mentioned that many Olympians, in fact the majority of those he talked to never dreamed they would go to the Olympics, especially not in the sport they ended up excelling in. For many it wasn't till high school or even later that they got introduced to their sport and found they had the attributes required. I'm thinking many of the Winter sports (particularly for Australians) or things like archery, fencing, shooting, weightlifting, wrestling, even volleyball and handball might be some of those kind of sports. Not saying that they shouldn't be in the Olympics, but more so things like Athletics and Swimming are the untouchables. As an aside I always find it a little funny when I see yearly sports star of the year awards at a school going to a kid who won a state or national championship in a obscure martial art or a kid who followed grandpa down to the bowls club and beat off the sum total of three other kids to claim the state championship. Meanwhile John Smith towers over them, muscles popping out of his uniform, clutching a swag of medals for Athletics, Cross Country, Swimming, captain's the school cricket and football teams and has that glint in his eye that says any sport, any where, any time. However today he has to console himself with the encouragement award as he didn't make it past States.

I'd be psyched to go to a much bigger stadium but let's be honest 80000 is probably not going to be filled most of the time.
You will find 80k was discussed in the early days. See below from article dated Oct 2019

Mr Coates outlined that a smaller stadium built would be enough and a new facility to seat 80,000 people would not be required, stating The maximum is 60,000, that’s what’s been provided in Tokyo, that’s what London provided,”

“And that could be a stadium that could reduce to a lesser amount afterwards, depending on what the legacy is going to be; no requirement for 80,000″.

They can always downsize afterwards. The Atlanta Olympic stadium downsized from 85k during the games to 50k after for the regular use of a baseball team (and downsized again to 25k a few years ago after the baseball team departed).

Mr Coates outlined that a smaller stadium built would be enough and a new facility to seat 80,000 people would not be required, stating The maximum is 60,000, that’s what’s been provided in Tokyo, that’s what London provided,”
This part isn't actually true though, both London and Tokyo had higher capacities (80k and 68k), although Tokyo has an effective capacity of 60k due to press and executive seating requirements.

Regardless, the stadium can be planned with downsizing in mind. Bearing in mind any oval stadium will also require us to share with cricket for Big Bash and internationals, 50-55k seems like a reasonable figure, about the same size as Adelaide Oval.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure the Lions have a Lease agreement with the Gabba until about 2040?
Some might be more in the know on this?
So the lions wouldn’t be going there straight away after the Olympics.
I'd imagine their agreement is with Stadiums Queensland, which is a state government owned entity which manages several sites including the Gabba. Assuming a new stadium is also run by Stadiums Qld, I can't imagine there would be a major issue in shifting a Gabba tenant to the new site.

If Brisbane ended up after the Olympics with a purpose built oval stadium for footy, and could return the Gabba to being a comfortable cricket-watching venue (not a concrete heat trap), then that would be a great outcome for sports fans.

I'd imagine their agreement is with Stadiums Queensland, which is a state government owned entity which manages several sites including the Gabba. Assuming a new stadium is also run by Stadiums Qld, I can't imagine there would be a major issue in shifting a Gabba tenant to the new site.

If Brisbane ended up after the Olympics with a purpose built oval stadium for footy, and could return the Gabba to being a comfortable cricket-watching venue (not a concrete heat trap), then that would be a great outcome for sports fans.
Good point!

That sounds good in principal and would be great for each sport.
However i can't see the demand that would offset the costs.

Melbourne have two big stadiums, one with a roof ,but they also have 9 teams to our 1.
Plus they are a sports mad city to ours being a bit fickle depending on performance in all types of sports here
Geelong has a stadium as do the Suns in our area

You could turn one of the venues into a designated concert type stadium that you play footy & cricket on. Or come up with other ideas
The Gabba sort of went down that track before the covid year. They were desperate for revenue.
But this is not great for the ground that you play footy & cricket on.
You would have to push the concert part (or other ideas) in a big way to offset the costs

My thoughts is the Gabba gets sold to developers with a green concept to offset the initial and future costs of the Government

I don't see any point to this. Internationals and BBL games would go to the Olympic stadium, and Allan Border Field could take Shield games. The land is better used on a park or a school.

Thanks for that link
Great document From the IOC and it is dated February 2021. It will take some time to digest
But the most interesting thing is the new location for the new stadium. It looks like Albion Park Paceway. Sorry patfulfankezz
Although the dot and line location has it more in the Hamilton Hill area
The IOC comments to right in blue if implemented by the Qld Government will save them a fortune.
Below two pages will help a lot of posters on this forum with questions. For everything else have a read.

1614219290308.png

1614219259822.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back