Opinion Brisbane Olympics

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm with you on the first point. The Olympics should be the ultimate prize for the sport to be included. When you have a heap of the best tennis or golf players choosing to rest instead of attend or even attend just for the novelty, you really have to question that sports inclusion. The same could be said for basketball, although it is only really one country (USA) that doesn't send their genuinely best team. Soccer seems a little strange being an under 21 thing and with the World Cup being arguably bigger than the Olympics I'm not sure it should really be there.
I think the traditional Olympic sports should remain regardless of popularity. I'm particular sports like athletics and swimming are really the pinnacle of athletic achievement and are sports almost every human has had a crack at while at school. Who is the fastest, who can throw something further than anyone else, who can get to the other end of the pool quickest etc. I hold a huge level of respect to those who rise to the top of these sports because of just how difficult it is to make it to the top. You are competing with millions if not billions of people for those gold medals.

Some other sports just do not have that level of competition regardless of how popular they may be. I remember reading a book written by an anonymous Olympian who mentioned that many Olympians, in fact the majority of those he talked to never dreamed they would go to the Olympics, especially not in the sport they ended up excelling in. For many it wasn't till high school or even later that they got introduced to their sport and found they had the attributes required. I'm thinking many of the Winter sports (particularly for Australians) or things like archery, fencing, shooting, weightlifting, wrestling, even volleyball and handball might be some of those kind of sports. Not saying that they shouldn't be in the Olympics, but more so things like Athletics and Swimming are the untouchables. As an aside I always find it a little funny when I see yearly sports star of the year awards at a school going to a kid who won a state or national championship in a obscure martial art or a kid who followed grandpa down to the bowls club and beat off the sum total of three other kids to claim the state championship. Meanwhile John Smith towers over them, muscles popping out of his uniform, clutching a swag of medals for Athletics, Cross Country, Swimming, captain's the school cricket and football teams and has that glint in his eye that says any sport, any where, any time. However today he has to console himself with the encouragement award as he didn't make it past States.
Trust me. no one is just picking up wrestling one day in their late teens and winning the Olympics. Wrestling might be a minor sport here but around the world it gets pretty big. Not only that but every civilisation/culture has had some form of grappling/wrestling. It is one of the oldest sports up there with foot racing and throwing stuff. It was included in the original Greek Olympics. I consider wrestling to be a pinnacle sport, it's more or less the guy who can throw anybody around. IMO just as impressive as the guy who can run fastest. Alexander Karelin is one of the greatest athletes ever his feats rival Usain Bolt, the explosiveness and strength required to be an elite wrestler is pretty other worldly.
Weight lifting as well, it's not a sport kids should be doing because from what I've read it wreaks havoc on developing bodies but the guy who can lift the heaviest things is the same as the guy who can run/swim fastest, jump highest/furthest etc. I will say one sport I literally never understood the need for though... walking. I mean seriously, I am not saying what the guys/girls do isn't impressive but its who can get across the distance fastest without actually going fastest. Strange sport IMO.

Trust me. no one is just picking up wrestling one day in their late teens and winning the Olympics. Wrestling might be a minor sport here but around the world it gets pretty big. Not only that but every civilisation/culture has had some form of grappling/wrestling. It is one of the oldest sports up there with foot racing and throwing stuff. It was included in the original Greek Olympics. I consider wrestling to be a pinnacle sport, it's more or less the guy who can throw anybody around. IMO just as impressive as the guy who can run fastest. Alexander Karelin is one of the greatest athletes ever his feats rival Usain Bolt, the explosiveness and strength required to be an elite wrestler is pretty other worldly.
Weight lifting as well, it's not a sport kids should be doing because from what I've read it wreaks havoc on developing bodies but the guy who can lift the heaviest things is the same as the guy who can run/swim fastest, jump highest/furthest etc. I will say one sport I literally never understood the need for though... walking. I mean seriously, I am not saying what the guys/girls do isn't impressive but its who can get across the distance fastest without actually going fastest. Strange sport IMO.
Yep happy to take your points on the wrestling and weightlifting. Also agree on the walking. Argue with the wife about that one a bit as she was quite good at it as a kid. Just don't see the point myself and hate the idea of an athletics event being open to the interpretation of a judge.

My thoughts is the Gabba gets sold to developers with a green concept to offset the initial and future costs of the Government

Its possible it could get tacked onto the cross river rail development, but you'd think that they'd have to hold pat on it for awhile given hosting game days would have featured pretty heavily on the justification for its development. Maybe they would just look to retire the gabba as it comes time for the next big bit of upkeep expenditure in the 2030s?

The financial element of the Olympics has changed quite a bit from extravagance and even the IOC itself is aware that making them somewhat sustainable is a must in the long term.

Brisbane-SEQ is a safe bet for the IOC which really doesn’t need too many more scandals. It also will allow them to test the waters of the games going to regions more than individual cities which makes it much more attractive to more places around the world.

The days of wildly stupid bids are probably over. Jakarta fit example would be a disaster in the making, given even the Indonesian government wants to abandon the place. Rational decision making is more the order of the day now.

What would they do with the new area after the Olympics could they use it for AFL games?

What would they do with the new area after the Olympics could they use it for AFL games?
AFL, big cricket matches, someone even suggested the 2nd Brisbane NRL expansion team could use it as their home ground? That way you have Suncorp for the Broncos and the Olympic Stadium for the new team- could also host big matches like State of Origin etc

AFL, big cricket matches, someone even suggested the 2nd Brisbane NRL expansion team could use it as their home ground? That way you have Suncorp for the Broncos and the Olympic Stadium for the new team- could also host big matches like State of Origin etc

They could also use it for concerts Suncorp Gabba Metricon have held concerts.

So if Brissy is awarded the Olympics we are going to get a new Gabba. Where does that leave the Lions during the demolition and rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So if Brissy is awarded the Olympics we are going to get a new Gabba. Where does that leave the Lions during the demolition and rebuild.

The AFL have heard our pleas for more games for our Victorian brethren so we will be playing 11 games at Ballarat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back