Review 2021 Mid Season Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coverage starts at 6.30PM on the AFL website and AFL app:

The draft itself starts at 7pm (AEST)

The draft order for the mid-season rookie draft is the reverse ladder order after Round 11, with the number of picks dependent on the number of open list spots. (Spots opened up as LTIs/retirees are put on the inactive list.)

Last edited:
You think so? That would be wise. I'd say at both ends. I was at the gane day and all I could think was ... where is the defence..
Defence was sidelined had McDonald Tarrant Bonar and Corr all out injured usually it’s pretty decent back there

KPP though is where we lack so yeah expect our 2 mid season draft picks to be KPP

Defence was sidelined had McDonald Tarrant Bonar and Corr all out injured usually it’s pretty decent back there

KPP though is where we lack so yeah expect our 2 mid season draft picks to be KPP
Isn't McDonald midfield now?
Tarrant is good but he's 32 in 3 weeks
Bonar has played midfield and forward most of his career
Corr sucks. Like badly.

Isn't McDonald midfield now?
Tarrant is good but he's 32 in 3 weeks
Bonar has played midfield and forward most of his career
Corr sucks. Like badly.
Seems you’re too busy watching under the 18s to watch north

McDonald is hbf
Corr is a good stopper
Bonar has played well for us off hbf over the last 10 games and will continue to pay there

Seems you’re too busy watching under the 18s to watch north

McDonald is hbf
Corr is a good stopper
Bonar has played well for us off hbf over the last 10 games and will continue to pay there
McDonald finished last year in the midfield
Corr is not a good stopper. He sucks.
Bonar has 8 rebound 50's in 8 games for North.

Lol no he didn’t

Ethdog watch more north otherwise you look like a nuff trying to argue with me about them
Sorry, I look like a nuff, compared to you. That's one of the funnier things I've heard, you're trying to tell me that Bonar has played 10 games in defence for North (when he's only played 8 games for you, 6 of which were midfield/forward last year), said McDonald didn't finish in the midfield last year (where it was noted by the media how well he was playing in there last year) and Corr is any good.

Okay mate.

Sorry, I look like a nuff, compared to you. That's one of the funnier things I've heard, you're trying to tell me that Bonar has played 10 games in defence for North (when he's only played 8 games for you, 6 of which were midfield/forward last year), said McDonald didn't finish in the midfield last year (where it was noted by the media how well he was playing in there last year) and Corr is any good.

Okay mate.
Haha semantics over 8 vs 10 games yep sure that validates your opinion

McDonald did not finish the year in the midfield like you claimed he was hbf

Haha semantics over 8 vs 10 games yep sure that validates your opinion

McDonald did not finish the year in the midfield like you claimed he was hbf
He's also played as a midfielder for the first 3 years of his career.

You continue to peddle your delusions mate.

He's also played as a midfielder for the first 3 years of his career.

You continue to peddle your delusions mate.
I didn’t argue that point...

Also at least you didn’t double down to try and argue You were right about your Lmac call as you were clearly not

Do yourself a favour and don’t comment on north as you clearly have no idea

Stick to the under 18s thanks mate

I didn’t argue that point...

Also at least you didn’t double down to try and argue You were right about your Lmac call as you were clearly not

Do yourself a favour and don’t comment on north as you clearly have no idea

Stick to the under 18s thanks mate
... You realise I don't actually follow the under 18's that closely? You're clearly off your rocker.

That’s worrying as you clearly don’t follow the afl that closely either

Keep up the good work mate
Look, I just made mince meat out of you, you should just quietly exit stage left right about now.

But sure, keep thinking Aidan Corr is good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From previous conversations I don’t think Nunn is too keen and is has committed himself to leading Norwood this year. I’m on holidays currently so couldn’t go last night but watched the replay late last night and he was easily BOG. Callow looked decent and with a bit better delivery could have easily have kicked a decent bag. Definitely think we will lose him in the MSD. Nelligan was solid but not sure he will be in high demand

Fair enough for Nunn. I wouldn't expect him to leave half way through the season given he has just been given captaincy.

Nelligan has to play at a significantly high level given his size, he is playing above expectations for a 19-year-old first gamer but I am under no illusions that he needs to show even more to get a shot.

I tell you what north will be hoping to sign the best key mature body fwd not on an AFL list as soon as possible

How about we put some emphasis on developing a balanced list, and just go back to the ND and PSD as our chances to pick up players. Make the PSD in Feb, then clubs can have a train on list and make a call then.

I don't like the idea that teams can go with 3 open spots on the list, say with 1 ruck and then only pick another up if there are injuries.

Developing a balanced list should be an important part of the game. It also means teams can keep cap space from underspending for half a year and then picking up 3 rookies halfway through the year.

If list numbers are ultimately the same, it doesn't help more players play AFL, it just takes away time that they train at a club.

The SANFL will be very interesting this year.

I can spot a few former Canberra Demons (Maguire, Meline, Vardanega, Hardie and Wharton) there are ex-TSL players (Callow, Dakin and Allan) and there are high performing NTFL players (Newman, Landt, Rusca etc.).
One of the players that you mentioned there is Matt Vardenaga, who has moved to Norwood, whose father Glen also played in a premiership for them in the 80's. Have you seen him play?

From previous conversations I don’t think Nunn is too keen and is has committed himself to leading Norwood this year. I’m on holidays currently so couldn’t go last night but watched the replay late last night and he was easily BOG. Callow looked decent and with a bit better delivery could have easily have kicked a decent bag. Definitely think we will lose him in the MSD. Nelligan was solid but not sure he will be in high demand
Nunn had 39 touches on Friday night was easily best on ground.

Callow was also very good. Would be annoyed if we (Norwood) lost him. Jacob Kennerley, who was previously at Geelong, was also very good and might be a chance as well to be picked up either in the mid-season, or next year.

Current Mid-season Rookie Draft situation and draft order for each club after R3:

- Adelaide - TWO, Bryce Gibbs inactive, Wayne Milera and Mitch Hinge LTI, signed Nick Murray in the SSP (Tyson Stengle delisting not counted)

- Brisbane - ONE, Cam Rayner LTI

- Carlton - ZERO, passed on one rookie pick, recruited Oscar McDonald in the SSP

- Collingwood - TWO, passed on two rookie picks

- Essendon - ONE, passed on one rookie pick, Irving Mosquito LTI, Ross McQuillan retirement, recruited Alec Waterman and Kaine Baldwin in the SSP

- Fremantle - ZERO

- Geelong - ZERO

- Gold Coast - FOUR, Connor Budarick, Matt Conroy, Rory Thompson and Jarrod Witts LTI

- GWS - ZERO

- Hawthorn - ZERO, Tom Scully retirement, recruited Lachlan Bramble in the SSP

- Melbourne - TWO, passed twice at the Rookie Draft, Aaron Nietschke and Marty Hore LTI, recruited Majak Daw and Deakyn Smith in SSP

- North Melbourne - TWO, passed on one rookie pick, Flynn Perez LTI

- Port Adelaide - ONE, passed on one rookie pick

- Richmond - ZERO, passed twice at the Rookie Draft, recruited Rhyan Mansell in the SSP, re-signed Derek Eggmolesse-Smith in the SSP

- St. Kilda - FOUR, passed three times at the Rookie Draft, Dylan Roberton retirement, Jade Gresham and Ben Paton LTI, recruited Mason Wood and Paul Hunter in the SSP

- Sydney - ONE, passed on one rookie pick

- West Coast - ZERO

- Western Bulldogs - ZERO, Sam Lloyd retirement, recruited Anthony Scott in the SSP

---------

ESTIMATED DRAFT ORDER

1. North Melbourne
  2. St. Kilda
  3. Brisbane
  4. Collingwood
  5. Essendon
  6. Gold Coast
  7. Adelaide
  8. Port Adelaide
  9. Melbourne
  10. Sydney
  11. North Melbourne
  12. St. Kilda
  13. Collingwood
  14. Gold Coast
  15. Adelaide
  16. Melbourne
  17. St. Kilda
  18. Gold Coast
  19. St. Kilda
  20. Gold Coast

At this stage, Carlton, Fremantle, Geelong, GWS, Hawthorn, Richmond, West Coast and Western Bulldogs will not participate

Gold Coast absolutely need a ruckman/kpp now desperately with Day, Thompson, Witts all going down. Walsh and Heath are options but they wouldn't be mature, ready to go bodies. You'd be taking a chance they're ready for afl. I'd be taking Callow and Knoll from the sanfl for a start

Gold Coast absolutely need a ruckman/kpp now desperately with Day, Thompson, Witts all going down. Walsh and Heath are options but they wouldn't be mature, ready to go bodies. You'd be taking a chance they're ready for afl. I'd be taking Callow and Knoll from the sanfl for a start

Would Tim Sullivan be worth a shout?

Corey Gault maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back