Under Age 2027 AFL Draft General Discussion - The Tassie Devils Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Probably too early to do this but this is probably the first draft and cohort the Tasmanian side get a proper look in as the established 19th club.

2025 (secondary) and 2026 (primary) will be the years in which the foundations of the Tassie team are set.

From what little we saw in a 2021 U12's game, Sachin Tyrrell from Victoria is in this pool.
There's also a 196cm player from Queensland called Max Boothey but not sure if he's a Brisbane or Gold Coast Sun academy prospect. (Ping Thommo 42.)

Also, 2 F/S prospects played in the same game as Tyrrell.

Kobe Bewick (Essendon) and Tevita Rodan (Port Adelaide.)

Perhaps a Burgoyne (Percy) is up for grabs for Port Adelaide or Hawthorn.

Look forward to seeing which of the names who will be mentioned in this thread will end up starting their careers with Tassie.

Courtesy of Dylan82.

Geez, going early here.

I know a few QLD kids around this age, but there has never been a national carnival for 08 and 09 born kids due to COVID.

Max is 196cm, is an 09 kid and is Lions zoned doing Level 1 stuff again I would guess this year. Robert Copeland has a son born 09 that is pretty handy also, but we are going very bloody early to talk about kids this age!

Geez, going early here.

I know a few QLD kids around this age, but there has never been a national carnival for 08 and 09 born kids due to COVID.

Max is 196cm, is an 09 kid and is Lions zoned doing Level 1 stuff again I would guess this year. Robert Copeland has a son born 09 that is pretty handy also, but we are going very bloody early to talk about kids this age!

I know I'm going early but there is precedence in this area.

Touk Miller was talked about as a future top draft prospect when he was 12 years old in 2008 but it's not the norm to do it this early outside of F/S and, now, F/D prospects.

I just wanted to tag you to clarify which academy Boothey is part of.

The Tassie kids who'd be eligible in 2026 and 2027 must surely be getting excited and/or nervous about this I reckon.

Thanks for the thread bump Lore.

Sorry for being somewhat premature in my thread creating haste.

It mightn't've been the right time to create such a thread but, the Tassie news brought on some excitement.

For the first time since 2008-10, we'll have a new team in the AFL to talk about in the present tense once the 2027 AFLM Draft comes around. (GC and GWS were awarded licenses in 2008 and 2009 respectively and both were in the midst of player recruitment in 2010.)

With Tassie's insertion into the AFL, we'll see a group of players being drafted and pre-selected and enter a season where, for the first time since 2011, we'll have an odd number of teams jostling for the top 8.

As soon as Tassie was granted an AFL license last year, speculation begun on who would be the players the new club would target and who'd be the inaugural coach and captain.

That might've been good for clicks and cheap discussion but it does nothing for projection and prediction of player quality in come 2027.

Whoever are the stars/big names/big out of contract signings in 2027 are, that's when the discussions in the media should properly begin.

Not sure what the issue is? The fella who name dropped Touk Miller over 10 yrs ago is still living off his Big footy fame! Have a crack, someone might bump this thread in 10 years time and you'll look like a genius!

2027 also sees, for the first time ever, junior Tassie players having a full season where playing for an AFL club/team bearing the name of its namesake state isn't some fanciful dream.
It's a realistic possibility.

Whatever concessions the Tasmanians get (if those concessions are spread across 2027-30 drafts) I'm happy for it to have them.

Not sure what the issue is? The fella who name dropped Touk Miller over 10 yrs ago is still living off his Big footy fame! Have a crack, someone might bump this thread in 10 years time and you'll look like a genius!

That was a prediction of a player.

That wasn't some thread where the 12 year olds of 2008 were assessed and dissected within an inch of its life.

I concede it was premature to create a thread in the year a prospect turns 14 years old and start analysing and discussing from there.

I had sought permission last year (December roughly) for this thread to be reopened in the new year and it was to be mulled over but, as it's the new year, it seemed the perfect time to revive it.

In short, it wasn't issuesome.

Just an excited person hugely eager to create a thread albeit too early.

That is all.

That was a prediction of a player.

That wasn't some thread where the 12 year olds of 2008 were assessed and dissected within an inch of its life.

I concede it was premature to create a thread in the year a prospect turns 14 years old and start analysing and discussing from there.

I had sought permission last year (December roughly) for this thread to be reopened in the new year and it was to be mulled over but, as it's the new year, it seemed the perfect time to revive it.

In short, it wasn't issuesome.

Just an excited person hugely eager to create a thread albeit too early.

That is all.
It's going to be interesting to take note of this particular draft crop now that we know it could define the first 10 years at Tas. U15 Vic championships if that's still a thing is always a good early indicator

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's going to be interesting to take note of this particular draft crop now that we know it could define the first 10 years at Tas. U15 Vic championships if that's still a thing is always a good early indicator

It will indeed.

Question is how do you prioritise?

Of the players to seek, what's the positional breakdown and how many players per position?

Further, what's the ideal quantity of players per year of birth and what's the cut-off point of the oldest player/s?

The AFL would want Tassie to be competitive straight away (similar to Freo in 1995 and sort of similar to Port Adelaide in 1997 even though the Power lost its inaugural game to Collingwood by 79 points) instead of the Gold Coast and GWS like drubbings. (GWS in particular.)

2028 is no expectations.

2031-33 is when you'd expect some semblance of equal win-loss records with maybe a finals game.

2032-40 is when Tassie becomes just another team in the AFL.

GC2015.

Welcome to this thread.
Thanks. This should be a very interesting draft class considering the ramifications it will have on the new Tasmanian team. Any word on whether Tassie are going to compete in the U15 National Championships this year?

Essendon fans will be happy to learn there's a father-son prospect named Koby Bewick coming through for them in this draft class and he's supposed to be pretty good.

Port Adelaide also have two father-son standouts coming through in this draft class in Percy Burgoyne and Tevita Rodan. Percy is of course also F/S tied to Hawthorn through his father Shaun.

My understanding is Suns academy member Taj Murray was the bottom age standout at the U15 National Championships last year and was named in the AA team. I'm guessing he'd be one of the front runners in this draft class at the moment.

It will indeed.

Question is how do you prioritise?

Of the players to seek, what's the positional breakdown and how many players per position?

Further, what's the ideal quantity of players per year of birth and what's the cut-off point of the oldest player/s?

The AFL would want Tassie to be competitive straight away (similar to Freo in 1995 and sort of similar to Port Adelaide in 1997 even though the Power lost its inaugural game to Collingwood by 79 points) instead of the Gold Coast and GWS like drubbings. (GWS in particular.)

2028 is no expectations.

2031-33 is when you'd expect some semblance of equal win-loss records with maybe a finals game.

2032-40 is when Tassie becomes just another team in the AFL.
Plastic Club.

Any word on whether Tassie are going to compete in the U15 National Championships this year?

Participating States and Territories
Boys - ACT, NSW, QLD, SA, VIC, WA
Girls - ACT, NSW, QLD, SA, VIC, WA

-School Sport Aus website.

So guess not this year.

Essendon fans will be happy to learn there's a father-son prospect named Koby Bewick coming through for them in this draft class and he's supposed to be pretty good.

I'm happy about this but I'll want to keep it to a dull roar though eDPS has already started the conditioning.

My understanding is Suns academy member Taj Murray was the bottom age standout at the U15 National Championships last year and was named in the AA team. I'm guessing he'd be one of the front runners in this draft class at the moment.

nah, he's not that good. The AA u15 side selection is a lottery, driven by negotiations between state coaches and non footy people.

The best 09 prospect in QLD is Max Boothey, followed probably by Archie Wilson from the Sunny Coast. Suns zone is comparatively week in the 2008 and 2009 born years, which is probably a relief for some thanks to the riches they get from 2005-2007 born players!

Will be interested in seeing the makeup of the 2 Vic teams (I assume they field 2 teams) at the carnival. After following this age group for the last 6 years (particularly YJFL and lately APS and AGSV), I’d assume a few of the more developed players will be selected. Some of these kids are still very young in development and have a heap of growth ahead.

Will be interested in seeing the makeup of the 2 Vic teams (I assume they field 2 teams) at the carnival. After following this age group for the last 6 years (particularly YJFL and lately APS and AGSV), I’d assume a few of the more developed players will be selected. Some of these kids are still very young in development and have a heap of growth ahead.

Certainly gives the 2 Vic teams (and others) the opportunity to showcase their wares to Tassie.

A crop of names I've accumulated

2027 Draft
NAMEPOSITIONDOBHEIGHT/WEIGHTCLUBAFFAFF 2
Brisbane (Academy)Maxwell BootheyRuck200cmBrisbane Academy/AlliesBRIS
Brisbane (Academy) Tex CopelandBrisbane Academy/AlliesBRIS
Brisbane (Academy) Jackson BridgeBrisbane Academy/AlliesBRIS
Lachlan EllenBrisbane Academy/Allies
Noah RafterQueensland/Allies
Noah CameronQueensland/Allies
Gold Coast (Academy)Taj MurrayGold Coast Academy/AlliesGC
Addison StolzQueensland/Allies
Sydney (Academy)Hugh Taylor Sydney Academy/AlliesSYD