Autopsy Rd 3 Insipid Loss to Carlton (Be Civil)

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder If J lo has the mungrel in him to deliver some of the rockets required to most players today.., i think accepting mediocrity is in our (Freo) DNA and I sick and tired of it. I f the players cared as half as much as some here at least we would get a contest most weeks . As some of said it's real tough being a freo fan at times. I can handle getting beaten but at least have a decent go and do your best.

Yeah fyfe forward is a complete luxury and no where near a standard move .
Our midfield smashing today proved that his/ our best position for him is in the middle.
Needed him everywhere. He was sorely missed for long kicks down the line, as a forward option and as a bull in the clearances

Not much you can say positive about that.

Smashed, obliterated in the middle. We needed Fyfe to go head to head with Cripps. Walsh is a jet and we had no one on that level. Serong may get there but he's still young. Brayshaw is good but lacks polish, Cerra was in amongst it but rarely seemed to do anything useful when he had the ball.

The defence was mostly poor but they didn't have much chance with the amount and speed of ball coming down. Ryan fought hard, Chapman got better, Hughes was awful, Conca was Conca. Cox was on drugs, or something.

Worse than the midfield though was what we laughably call our forward line. Not one player down there that knows how to lead at the ball carrier.
Taberner is just useless when he's off the boil, he's worse than useless he's a liability. Darcy isn't a forward. Shultz had a mare. Freddy was good in patches but needs to get better at finishing his work. Switta was ok but still goes to water at the sight of the goals.
I thought Henry did a couple of nice things with the limited opportunity he had. We need him to come on so badly.

We need a leading forward with good hands and reliable set shot which is Treacy. We need a creative medium with a reliable set shot which is Sturt.
We need Fyfe in the middle and Walters to get some touch and play forward.
Walters, Sturt & Treacy is at least the beginning of a forward line.

Hopefully we see Logue, Fyfe and Tucker back sooner rather than later.
I agree with so much of this. Tabs had one of those guys that justifies the sh1t people give him. Meandering backwards, pointing at the square with his opponent in front and his teammate with the ball 65m away.
Hughes is our momentum killer. Taken the Mayne mantle beautifully.
My own thoughts are that so much of this wasn’t a mistake of game day coaching, but of selection. Personnel in our team were constantly beaten 1on1. Darcy was soundly beaten in almost every forward contest and our backs were thrashed, even with the ball on the ground.
It’s hard to implement a game plan when so many of the individual contests are lost.

Was that the Silvagni one where he threw himself to ground once but our player didn't get sucked in, only for Silvagni to throw himself forward again once we tried to wrap him up on the ground?

If the first instance didn't make it blatantly obvious that he was clearly playing for it then I really have to question the intelligence and feel for the game of AFL umpires.
It wasn’t that one but another and that is how bad the the umpires where!!!
Honestly it was so bad that I’m afraid to call myself a umpire!!!

Well...back to square one. Kinda feels like we're treading water but slowly being dragged further out to sea.

You could write off the failure to turn up in Round 1 as an aberration caused by a young team in a (relatively) high pressure game. Today leaves me questioning Longmuir's ability to effectively motivate the team, get them consistently performing at close to their best and, for want of a better term, "buying in". I don't mind losing when there is both effort and a relatively clear gameplan in place. Sometimes despite ticking all the boxes, you just get beaten on the day or things don't fall your way. Injuries and a really imbalanced list also undoubtedly make things more challenging. In saying that, there's no excuse for the team just rolling over for large stretches of the game or playing like they've all been picked out of the crowd to play 10 minutes before bounce down. Yet again there was a complete disconnect between the midfield and forward line, with the added bonus of the defense also going to water.

It's been noted by most on here already but the experiment with a pure ruck as a full-time forward marking target surely has to end. It worked last week in what was essentially a training drill but even half-decent sides would clearly be able to exploit the use of non-natural forwards as marking targets, particularly knowing the way we usually deliver the ball into the forward 50. It rarely, if ever, works and feels like a coaching committee trying to be too clever and making a square peg fit in a round hole. I know we're short on forward quality at the moment but playing Pearce and now Darcy at FF feels like an exercise in futility.

I suppose the good news is that there is quality to come back in that will help structurally, primarily Logue, Lobb and Treacy. Fyfe too, although he would've been most valuable in stemming the flow out of the middle and supporting the young mids who got absolutely slaughtered. I do think JL has the capacity to learn and improve in what is only his second season as a coach and his first "normal" home and away season. Would be remiss to ignore the worrying signs at this point though. I do have to say though that it's ridiculous to put a line through him just yet...particularly on the basis of his pressers.

What is with the obsession over Henry.

We screwed up. Paid too much for him (high draft pick) on draft day. He's playing like its still u18s. He needs wafl, gym time and to know his role.

I think he can have a handy career at afl level, but not on the level as a Mcleod or Cyril we all thought it was going to be.

He's a 19 year old who's played <10 games ffs.

Well...back to square one. Kinda feels like we're treading water but slowly being dragged further out to sea.

You could write off the failure to turn up in Round 1 as an aberration caused by a young team in a (relatively) high pressure game. Today leaves me questioning Longmuir's ability to effectively motivate the team, get them consistently performing at close to their best and, for want of a better term, "buying in". I don't mind losing when there is both effort and a relatively clear gameplan in place. Sometimes despite ticking all the boxes, you just get beaten on the day or things don't fall your way. Injuries and a really imbalanced list also undoubtedly make things more challenging. In saying that, there's no excuse for the team just rolling over for large stretches of the game or playing like they've all been picked out of the crowd to play 10 minutes before bounce down. Yet again there was a complete disconnect between the midfield and forward line, with the added bonus of the defense also going to water.

It's been noted by most on here already but the experiment with a pure ruck as a full-time forward marking target surely has to end. It worked last week in what was essentially a training drill but even half-decent sides would clearly be able to exploit the use of non-natural forwards as marking targets, particularly knowing the way we usually deliver the ball into the forward 50. It rarely, if ever, works and feels like a coaching committee trying to be too clever and making a square peg fit in a round hole. I know we're short on forward quality at the moment but playing Pearce and now Darcy at FF feels like an exercise in futility.

I suppose the good news is that there is quality to come back in that will help structurally, primarily Logue, Lobb and Treacy. Fyfe too, although he would've been most valuable in stemming the flow out of the middle and supporting the young mids who got absolutely slaughtered. I do think JL has the capacity to learn and improve in what is only his second season as a coach and his first "normal" home and away season. Would be remiss to ignore the worrying signs at this point though. I do have to say though that it's ridiculous to put a line through him just yet...particularly on the basis of his pressers.
I think we would be better playing a small, fast forward line and grubbering the ball in.

I still have faith in Longmuir but have been disappointed about the lack of midfield/forward progress in terms of tangible strategy.

I think we would be better playing a small, fast forward line and grubbering the ball in.

I still have faith in Longmuir but have been disappointed about the lack of midfield/forward progress in terms of tangible strategy.

Agreed. I'd be happy with anything - as long as there was a clear strategy and signs the players were trying to execute it. If it doesn't work because of personnel or skills, that's more forgivable.

The aimless Freo longbomb ©2016 is still in full effect when we're placed under any kind of pressure.

When you have a young team and the media says loads of nice things about you all week and blows smoke up the teams ass in general, watch out. Played believe their own hype, performance drops even 5% and then you get what we saw today. Cripps was always going to be like a man possessed today after the abuse he copped all week.
At least next week our team will have a point to prove. Our next 3 games are actually all winnable.

When you have a young team and the media says loads of nice things about you all week and blows smoke up the teams ass in general, watch out. Played believe their own hype, performance drops even 5% and then you get what we saw today. Cripps was always going to be like a man possessed today after the abuse he copped all week.
At least next week our team will have a point to prove. Our next 3 games are actually all winnable.
We will be lucky to beat Norf we won’t beat the Hawks dishing up that s**t

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many games have Wicks, Warner, Campbell etc played. If you aren’t good enough you aren’t good enough
Henry far from the worst today. Took a brave mark in the last quarter actually when he was going to be smashed.
If we had more players available like Crowden Tucker, Sturt etc he would be back at peel developing which would be totally fine at this stage.

Hahahahaha

Sure, and chocolate doesn't make me fat and the win against GWS was because we were good, not that they were worse than us.

As long as Acres, Colyer, Giro, Conca and Hughes are B22 players we are going no where as a club.
Agree with you on pretty much all those players apart from Giro. Thought he did ok today and is an honest trier.
Get Fyfe, Sturt, Tucker Logue and Crowden in for those guys you mentioned and suddenly we look a lot better.
Injuries will kill us again this year unfortunately.

Lost my love for the game.

Seeing a Swans team stacked with Academy players not needing to do a full rebuild makes me sick.

Our girls getting screwed by the umpires just because the AFL want a Victorian team and Pearce in the finals.

Couldn’t watch from the mid point of the 3rd quarter.

Ive had enough, time to spend time on something that gives me joy.
I feel you Eastfreo75. The obsession with success, that is derived from supporting a team that has provided you with no joy for twenty seven years, becomes a malignant tumour that eats away at you. Fremantle is simply a team that does not inspire even an iota of confidence prior to the initial bounce of a game, to the point where it's a flip of the coin as to which variation of the team will be present, let alone whether we will win the match! My blood pressure rises beyond belief during a match, and I just find myself getting more and more incensed - to the point where I'm yelling at the television. This is no longer an enjoyment-filled hobby!

Hahahahaha

Sure, and chocolate doesn't make me fat and the win against GWS was because we were good, not that they were worse than us.

As long as Acres, Colyer, Giro, Conca and Hughes are B22 players we are going no where as a club.
I’m not sure they are best 22 are they? Acres and Conca perhaps, but we have their replacements in O’Driscoll and Walker developing.

Agree with you on pretty much all those players apart from Giro. Thought he did ok today and is an honest trier.
Get Fyfe, Sturt, Tucker Logue and Crowden in for those guys you mentioned and suddenly we look a lot better.
Injuries will kill us again this year unfortunately.

Honest triers are our whole problem. How many on our list have 1 elite trait?

We have absolutely wasted the prime of Nat Fyfe. There will be no final surge like Pav got.

No wonder when we pay guys like Lobb 750k to be neither a KPF or Ruckman.

Honest triers are our whole problem. How many on our list have 1 elite trait?

We have absolutely wasted the prime of Nat Fyfe. There will be no final surge like Pav got.

No wonder when we pay guys like Lobb 750k to be neither a KPF or Ruckman.

I’m not sure they are best 22 are they? Acres and Conca perhaps, but we have their replacements in O’Driscoll and Walker developing.

If they aren't B22 why are they playing most if not all games (apart from Giro)?

Love people saying we shouldn't be cracking it, when is an appropriate time?

We STILL have no forward line.

We STILL have a laundry list of injuries.

We STILL have no skills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back