Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fremantle vs Carlton

Sunday 9th July 2023

Optus Stadium

2:40pm

In a galaxy far, far away there is a person who is capable of writing an interesting and witty preview for this game. Unfortunately for you lot the only previewer you have in this galaxy is me and I am feeling totally bereft of ideas, wit or interesting writing.

However I am feeling like I may be a lucky charm for the Dockers this year – we have won every game I have attended live. In the early part of the season I was away (initially being a tourist in Spain and then fulfilling my role as Grandma dockerfemme in both the south of France and England). I attended the Hawthorn and Geelong wins, I had every intention of attending the Richmond match but at the last minute there was illness in my family and I didn’t get there (family all ok now) and I was at the Essendon match on Saturday night. I am generally an analytical person. I find it hard to believe I am a lucky charm but the numbers say otherwise so I plan to get to the Carlton match and hopefully work my magic.

Last Time They Met

2022 Round 15 Marvel Stadium Carlton 12 9 81 defeated Fremantle 7 8 50

This was a match where we won the first quarter but did very little after that. We obviously learnt from that experience and have very nearly perfected losing the first quarter since that time.

Line-ups

The Dockers have a good level of availability with Tabs and, I assume, Fyfe and Chappy being the only unavailable players. I would like to see Brodie in for Fyfe, as I think we need the bigger, mature body in the centre square, but it may well be Erasmus for Fyfe.

Carlton went into the match against Hawthorn on the weekend without a recognised ruckman due to knee issues for both Pittonet and de Koning, but it is suggested that they may be available for this match. Other than that their availability seems to be good.

This Week’s Battle

Carlton field a considerably older but only marginally more experienced team than the Dockers. The form of both teams could best be described as patchy. Some guy called Adam Cerra may well be leading Carlton’s b&f, though Charlie Curnow is clearly their most dangerous player. Carlton had a very good year for clearances last year but have failed to reproduce that this year, leading to a much poorer year. They do defend well and have the 4th best points against, but they have struggled to score. They have found form the last 2 matches with big wins over the Suns and the Hawks.

Breaking even in the midfield (and our rucks could help with that) and keeping Charlie Curnow on the leash should be the keys to this match. I would like to see a better performance from our defence too, as a group they have been a lot less impressive than last year.

Prediction

It is a match we need to win, if we want to maintain a sniff of final’s contention.

Dockers 13 12 90

Carlton 11 10 76

Hodor and Jackson to share BOG honours in a win

They better. Carlton are bringing over guys they have to write "RuCk" on their tag to do the job.

The game will be won in the middle and the mids KNOW none of the blues mid will expect their ruck to get a hand near it. Plan accordingly.

If Freo can’t beat a sub par blues outfit with no rucks then time to burn the whole thing down and start again

My Buddy is NOD

Lets be real: Carlton have no rucks so they definitely won't be setting up to win any. Our mids are going to get absolutely f***ing bodied hard at each contest. Will be a tough game. Carlton are playing theif grand final too...
It probably won’t happen, but I’d love to see Jackson line up on Cripps at every stoppage for the first 5-10 minutes, just to let him know he isn’t the biggest body out there.

It probably won’t happen, but I’d love to see Jackson line up on Cripps at every stoppage for the first 5-10 minutes, just to let him know he isn’t the biggest body out there.
Well, that's a bit selfish. Poor Patrick will have to run out to the wing where Henry is so he has somebody of appropriate size to throw elbows at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This one worries the heck out of me.

We've had some very bizarre games against carlton from an umpiring point of view. Watch Brayshaw cop it the head a few times from cripps and never gets called for it. Add to that watch how many times cripps does one handed handballs and it never gets picked up.

I'm expecting more of the same.

Hi Guys,
This banter feels like we're in the change-rooms short-kicking to each other and getting strapped up. I smell Dencorub.
For all the reasons already mentioned I feel like I'm not going to enjoy watching this game - we've just got too many s**thouse memories from recent years that get stirred up. I just hope we get the win to make it all worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back