Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suspect that Willo will be having a spell with Parks coming in this week. Can't really argue with that unfortunately.
Simmo also ran down the left wing, which is ideal for a left footer, the last 2 weeks Willo has been caught in the same spot on the RH wing, try to turn around and come back in to the middle of the ground. Should be playing on Simmo's wing, or better still, ....practicing his Right foot kicking

Have some notes from the game including doch losing a few aerial contests and losing his man. He was down as a defender a touch after a great defensive w1
I Know it's only Round 3, but I think that both Crippa and Doc should not continue on as Co-captains next year. It's clearly not working as both are Injured/Down on form and neither has been able to step up when needed. Cripps' first year as Capt when Doc was out was undeniable but he largely took it upon himself to burden the load. Now he needs to learn when to delegate (especially if injured) and also learn how to go forward and kick goals. His continual reluctance to have a set shot and try and give it off is so predictable, OP swarm to him knowing he is looking to offload, or going to try and break a tackle to get closer to goal, instead of going back and taking the set shot from 35-50.

Walsh on the other hand has found another level and is playing inspired footy. I said this a couple of weeks back and was howled down, but I think it more relevant now than ever.... Walsh needs to be given the Captaincy next year. Cripps and Doc have had a spell, and Walsh is setting benchmarks all over the place (training, developing his game from outside to inside, backing tonto packs with no fear), the list goes on) and our club needs a single young Captain to lead. Walsh or bust for me. That Kid is already the soul of our club.

I Know it's only Round 3, but I think that both Crippa and Doc should not continue on as Co-captains next year. It's clearly not working as both are Injured/Down on form and neither has been able to step up when needed. Cripps' first year as Capt when Doc was out was undeniable but he largely took it upon himself to burden the load. Now he needs to learn when to delegate (especially if injured) and also learn how to go forward and kick goals. His continual reluctance to have a set shot and try and give it off is so predictable, OP swarm to him knowing he is looking to offload, or going to try and break a tackle to get closer to goal, instead of going back and taking the set shot from 35-50.

Walsh on the other hand has found another level and is playing inspired footy. I said this a couple of weeks back and was howled down, but I think it more relevant now than ever.... Walsh needs to be given the Captaincy next year. Cripps and Doc have had a spell, and Walsh is setting benchmarks all over the place (training, developing his game from outside to inside, backing tonto packs with no fear), the list goes on) and our club needs a single young Captain to lead. Walsh or bust for me. That Kid is already the soul of our club.

Mmmm. So you're suggesting on the back of two weeks we sack both cripps and Dougherty as captains?.
If Walsh then has 2 weeks not up to your satisfaction we can then sack him. And so on.
Or maybe we can stick to our plan over a sustainable sample period and then determine whether it has worked or not and determine the way forward from there? Just a thought.

If I’d have to pick 2 new ones I’d go weiters as captain
Walsh as vice

I think this will happen, but we need to pick when we do it very carefully.

The question mark with O'Brien was and remains over his ability to find the footy.
He can run all day, he can use it well but he'll rarely be in a position to win it himself- in effect he can provide balance to the Crouch/Curnow types that get it at will but perhaps lack a bit of hurt factor with ball in hand.
The Hawks proved that you can have success with a player that's almost exclusively a receiver but the key is having balance to your side, this is where I'm l'm less convinced with our list management strategy in recent times.
There seems to have been little consideration for how the players fit together to make a balanced side or fit our gameplan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still have hope for LOB. I thought it was interesting how he is viewed from outside clubs albeit just one. The key to LOB is to settle on a role for him.
I suppose my problem is, clubs would have profiles like this on near every player in the draft, not just the outside small build distributors. Sure, taking someone like Walsh - who has near no deficiencies - is a no brainer, but if you were to approach someone like WC, they'd have a similar thing to say about Higgins or Castagna.

Belting a bloke who's being panned fairly widely isn't good journalism. Last I checked, punching down shouldn't be in the job description.

I suppose my problem is, clubs would have profiles like this on near every player in the draft, not just the outside small build distributors. Sure, taking someone like Walsh - who has near no deficiencies - is a no brainer, but if you were to approach someone like WC, they'd have a similar thing to say about Higgins or Castagna.

Belting a bloke who's being panned fairly widely isn't good journalism. Last I checked, punching down shouldn't be in the job description.

However Lobs career plays out. s**t article ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Happy for our players to be criticised but an article like that, about a 21yo kid (sorry thy), and after a good win??

Seems a bit off to me...

In regards to LOB, I believe he will be one of the cast offs from our rebuild draft haul who may go on to success elsewhere, best wishes to him. He doesn't seem to fit Teague's framework and I don't believe he is tough enough. He goes missing when it matters and despite his lauded running ability, doesn't get to the right spots to be an outside link player.
Happy to be proven wrong but, I don't see it in LOB and we have quite a few in front of him.

That's a productive article, kicking a bloke based on a throwaway sentence. Someone got paid for writing that.
And selective. Sydney were into LOB IIRC. Don't think many here think Sydney recruit soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back