Preview Changes Dogs V Lions at Mars 10.4.21 - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

That team was looking strong until I saw Hunter in the forward line 🤦‍♂️ Even on the wings I prefer speed and players that move the ball quick. Hunter is really getting on my nerve lately.
We've pretty consistently lined up with 2 of Hunter, Dunkley, Bont, Libba or Lipinski in the forward line, with 4 full time forwards (from English, Naughton, Bruce, Wallis, VDM, McNeil). I'd expect it to continue. That said, that team also has Cavarra on the bench to effectively replace Scott who lost minutes in the backline after Wood and JJ came into the team.

I would concede if we have a deficiency, it is in the back half.
Richmond are the benchmark but their core group includes Broad, Bolta, Ashbury, McIntosh, Caddy - far from elite but play a role for the greater good of the team.

I just feel that we are all looking for a flawless team with no holes down to player 23 but the reality is, it’s probably not possible.

Would you compare Richmond on paper to Hawthorn, Brisbane or Geelong from the last 20 years. Personally I would not rate them close to any of them but they have each won 3 flags within 5 - 6 years.

It’s a lot about the opposition at the time, the game plan and injuries and whilst very early days, the signs are positive for us to make an assault this year.

Balta and astbury are all Australian level guns.......

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Kind of annoying playing in Ballarat probably in the rain, kind of throws out our whole form and structure, would love to go into this with the same set up we’ve been playing and pants Brisbane’s bog average midfield under the roof

Kinda annoying it's there at all. Two hot teams and it's played at a ground with a Covid capacity of 8,335.

Marvel has a Covid capacity of 43,440. You do the sums on how many people are being denied being able to go to what should be a cracking game.

I'm flogging a dead horse (again), but this just doesn't serve the vast majority of our members.

Not picking players who are not up to it based on form is not giving up on them. You do realise not every player on our list can play seniors each week.

Yeah, fairly aware of that Legend but thanks so much for reminding me. Bevo dropped Trengrove after a single game last year.... not a world beater and probably not quite up to it for a full season agreed but possibly a reasonable option in the odd game here and there as a back-up to a young and physically developing ruckman. I’m sure Josh Dunkley and Jackson Macrae agree.
Anyway who cares.... it was a throwaway comment in the first place.

That team was looking strong until I saw Hunter in the forward line 🤦‍♂️ Even on the wings I prefer speed and players that move the ball quick. Hunter is really getting on my nerve lately.

In the same boat. I honestly reckon Hunter is not even in our best 22.

That 22 is 5 players away, 2 of which are currently injured. Scott, McNeil and Gardner probably aren’t best 22. West, Lipinski and Young all come in for those 3. Then I think Dale (as good as he’s been) and Hunter are the two that would make way for Crozier and McLean in a purely hypothetical best possible team.

Kinda annoying it's there at all. Two hot teams and it's played at a ground with a Covid capacity of 8,335.

Marvel has a Covid capacity of 43,440. You do the sums on how many people are being denied being able to go to what should be a cracking game.

I'm flogging a dead horse (again), but this just doesn't serve the vast majority of our members.

Agree. Also robbing us of two extra games at a venue we play extremely well. A windy and wet slog next week could go either way, and these types of things can most definitely be the difference between top 4 and not top 4 for us this season. Could play under the roof giving us a greater chance of winning.

Agree. Also robbing us of two extra games at a venue we play extremely well. A windy and wet slog next week could go either way, and these types of things can most definitely be the difference between top 4 and not top 4 for us this season. Could play under the roof giving us a greater chance of winning.
I'd rather give up two home games to Ballarat over 11 home games to Tasmania which the AFL looks like it is going to force Norf into.

In the same boat. I honestly reckon Hunter is not even in our best 22.

That 22 is 5 players away, 2 of which are currently injured. Scott, McNeil and Gardner probably aren’t best 22. West, Lipinski and Young all come in for those 3. Then I think Dale (as good as he’s been) and Hunter are the two that would make way for Crozier and McLean in a purely hypothetical best possible team.
Disagree on form this year Dale is easily best 22. Crozier and Duyrea are playing for the same spot and Croz has the runs on the board and is a huge asset in the air. Gardner is best 22 thats been proven since he has come in but I think Lew Young offers more with his marking so lets see how he goes with an extended run of games

IN: Best 1-1 KPD out of Young, Cordy and Khamis (who plays tall)
OUT: Gardner

No other changes when you win by 128.

To be fair - we lost Gardner early, and effectively played that game without an additional tall. The extra legs in Lippa may have been important to the approach we ultimately had.

It’s impossible to say, we are lining up against a different team. Their forwardline is a different story that the trash we just played against!

Jong? You are kidding right? We want to keep winning thanks.
From someone who is happy to call a spud a spud, do us all a favor and use your brain before reactively making statements like that.

Have you been following Jong’s form in the VFL? From all accounts (including the coaches) he’s knocking down the door. Check out his three goals below that went along with being the best mid on the ground Friday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it’s dangerous to start looking ahead, but at the start of the season it looked like we had a good opportunity to start well - play 3 potentially decent/finals teams but all in Melbourne (pies, Eagles, lions), a possible percentage booster vs north, and two eminently winnable games against probably mid tier teams in GC (marvel) and GWS (Canberra).

I thought a finals team would probably be 4-2 with a decent percentage, and a top four one would be 5-1 and already about 140+ (possible more).

Now the first of those would actually be disappointing given the start. A loss this week isn’t a disaster as the lions are good, but there’s a golden opportunity to set up an incredibly solid first quarter of the season.

From someone who is happy to call a spud a spud, do us all a favor and use your brain before reactively making statements like that.

Have you been following Jong’s form in the VFL? From all accounts (including the coaches) he’s knocking down the door. Check out his three goals below that went along with being the best mid on the ground Friday.

Knocking the door down since 2015. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I know it’s dangerous to start looking ahead, but at the start of the season it looked like we had a good opportunity to start well - play 3 potentially decent/finals teams but all in Melbourne (pies, Eagles, lions), a possible percentage booster vs north, and two eminently winnable games against probably mid tier teams in GC (marvel) and GWS (Canberra).

I thought a finals team would probably be 4-2 with a decent percentage, and a top four one would be 5-1 and already about 140+ (possible more).

Now the first of those would actually be disappointing given the start. A loss this week isn’t a disaster as the lions are good, but there’s a golden opportunity to set up an incredibly solid first quarter of the season.

Dropping any of the next three would be really poor imo. 6-0 to start the season is a reasonable expectation from here. I could forgive a loss to Richmond after that as long as we are competitive and show that we are a chance against them in finals.

Disagree on form this year Dale is easily best 22. Crozier and Duyrea are playing for the same spot and Croz has the runs on the board and is a huge asset in the air. Gardner is best 22 thats been proven since he has come in but I think Lew Young offers more with his marking so lets see how he goes with an extended run of games
I'd hope Croz is competing for Wood's spot rather than Duryea's. I know it's not been long enough to know definitively, but Wood has not impressed me at all in his single game so far, whereas Duryea has been pretty good for the most part

I'd hope Croz is competing for Wood's spot rather than Duryea's. I know it's not been long enough to know definitively, but Wood has not impressed me at all in his single game so far, whereas Duryea has been pretty good for the most part

Wood looked a bit rusty. So he should improve on his first outing for the season. However, in a couple of other respects, he may not be like a fine wine, improving with age. Maybe I'm wrong but I have always felt he is a bit slow to dispose of the ball, he seems to need a bit of time to work out what he is doing with it and it seems to me this has steadily gotten worse not better, possibly because of the other issue: he is nowhere near as fast as he was circa 2016, when he used to be a bolter. Not any more, unfortunately.

So is Cavarra, will he get a game? Anyone who knows footy and knows our side well, they would know that Jong is not in our best 22. His skill set just isn’t up to it. He is a great back up, great mark, but disposal and decision making is not AFL standard, come on champ

I agree our backline is looking a lot better now. While still slightly short there is enough aerial power between the flankers (Wood, Crozier, Williams), enough body size (Keath, Gardner), and enough at ground level (Dureya, Daniel, JJ) to win some finals.

We miss a true full back with both size and pace (May, Jonas) and a true tall/small defender (Morris, Grimes) but I think we can cover a lot with what we have.

Edit - can add Dale into the mix now with Daniel, JJ and Duryea.
Crozier is a temporary bad loss due to injury. I often think that he is probably our most important defender in the way he reads the play. very solid, excellent kick and great interception when the opposition is in full attack mode. what do people think?

Last edited:
Crozier is a temporary bad loss due to injury. I often think that he is probably our most important defender in the way he reads the play. very solid, excellent kick and great interception when the opposition is in full attach mode. what do people think?

Agrees. Organises our defence as well. Cool operator under pressure.

Knocking the door down since 2015. 🤦🏼‍♂️
That's unfair. He was very unlucky with injuries. In AFL you need injury luck. Some players just don't have it. Williams was a good example. he would have been a really good player had he not been hampered by injury every second week. TBH I prefer strugglers like Jong and Scott fore example than highly talented players that don't try hard enough. One example that comes to mind is Higgins. Happy times at slow boat and elderly Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back