Autopsy Rd 5 BELTED! Power turns the Blues lights out

Who player well for the Blues vs Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The people calling for Teague to be sacked are the same people who were asking for Ratten to get sacked.

Can we learn from our mistakes and stop pointing the figure like children?
Not true, everyone knew Ratts could coach, but we HAD standards back in the day.

I personally like Teague and the players seem to have high levels of respect for him.

The issue is, he either can't see or won't make the tough calls:
Exhibit A - Let's get Murphy to his milestone despite the fact he hasn't laid a tackle in 3 seasons and let's the ball go flying out of our forward line.
Exhibit B - Eddie Betts, one of the classiest guys in the AFL, but everyone can see despite 100% will he can't do it at the standard for long enough.
Exhibit C - Forward Structure kick the ball high to the top of the square and hope....
Exhibit D - Midfield defence. Opposition gets possession and waltz out with clear air and are able to deliver it on a platter.
Exhibit E - No lockdown defenders at half back, picking a so-called rebounding group. Parkes was a breath of fresh air.

Teague has to be able to see it because everyone on this forum does, yet he won't make tough calls. In effect he is happy to live without striving for the standards that made us great.

CB

Not true, everyone knew Ratts could coach, but we HAD standards back in the day.

I personally like Teague and the players seem to have high levels of respect for him.

The issue is, he either can't see or won't make the tough calls:
Exhibit A - Let's get Murphy to his milestone despite the fact he hasn't laid a tackle in 3 seasons and let's the ball go flying out of our forward line.
Exhibit B - Eddie Betts, one of the classiest guys in the AFL, but everyone can see despite 100% will he can't do it at the standard for long enough.
Exhibit C - Forward Structure kick the ball high to the top of the square and hope....
Exhibit D - Midfield defence. Opposition gets possession and waltz out with clear air and are able to deliver it on a platter.
Exhibit E - No lockdown defenders at half back, picking a so-called rebounding group. Parkes was a breath of fresh air.

Teague has to be able to see it because everyone on this forum does, yet he won't make tough calls. In effect he is happy to live without striving for the standards that made us great.

CB
about ‘tough calls’ - I’m with you except they can’t be dumb calls.

His options yesterday in terms of who didn’t play but were available:

- Dow: everyone was screaming for him to be dropped.
- Philp: still being managed back from OP, not able to play full games yet in the vfl.
- Setters: couldn’t get a kick yestersay playing on ball against a QAFL side
- Ramsay: would get killed playing VFl right now
- Owies: just isn’t clean enough for afl
- Honey: if people on here get frustrated at decision making errors going into forward 50 then if Honey’s effort yesterday was anything to go by then it would only be much much worse.
- Durdin has done zero

He has Stocker, LOb and Cunners to choose from. No medium sized or tall players are actually available. They are all injured. TDK, Parks, Marchy, SOS, CC. Horrendous.

Stocker will replace Williamson next week. Cottrell was murdered by Amon yesterday but he won’t be replaced by LOB. Newnes didn’t have his best game but no afl coach would drop him for LOB right now. Cunners didn’t do enough on ball yesterday to demand an on ball spot. Maybe, just maybe he deserves to play instead of Betts or Murph.

Point I am making is Cunners for either betts or Murph is the only ‘hard decision’ on a senior player Vs a younger player they could possibly contemplate right now. Not sure I’d want Betts out of the side given he is about the only bloke who can kick the ball. Murph, yeah maybe. It would still be gifting a game a bit to Cunners. He really needed to lift last quarter yesterday but didn’t when we needed him. Another ‘nice’ guy.

Even if Stocker and Cunners played yesterday we still would have lost. They will both play next week probably but they’re not the solution.

I would like to see, OUT
Kennedy Williamson, Dow and Betts.

In:
Stocker, Cunningham, Ramsay, Obrien.

Williams to defence. Stocker to defence. Cunningham and SPS in the middle.

Obrien to the wing.

Ramsay in the fwd line rotating midfield.

Murph as the sub.

We are no where near it and worst of all we dnt even if the kids can play in the positions they were drafted.

I think our long list of injured bigs is killing us now. We have a real problem with our third tall in defence. When Parks played we looked much more balanced. Our list options are Marchy, Parks and MCG. Two unavailable.

MCG really can’t play back because we have CC, TDk and SOs all out.

So it leaves them really really stuck. Plow can’t play genuine 3rd tall and leaks like a sieve when he does. Doc the same. Willo the same. The backline becomes horribly unbalanced.

Up front we typically at any one time only have two guys capable of marking. Casboult played 63 percent of the game up front yesterday. MCG sat on the bench for 22 percent of the game. McKay 17. So 3/4 of the game (play the period mCG went back) we only have two ‘marking’ forwards.

We have no ‘medium/tall’ forwards ar the moment drawing the ball. Martin, CC, SOS all hit up on the lead.

The result of the unbalanced forward line is the game plan falls apart. Little ability to bring the ball to ground in the forward line. No one drawing the eyes of the kicker with a hard lead. Our forwards are really small. Port had 5 permanent forwards who lead at the ball and create options.

The ‘blazing away’ isn’t just (although is in part) skill and decision making. It’s also havign options.

The best example of this is Cripps going forward and kicking straight to them under no pressure. YES was shithouse. But he also didn’t have anyone leading into space.

Not sure how all this changes until we get some combination of SOS, CC, Parks and Martin back.

Just watched the Teague press conference. What is it with our club who seem to have coaches who trot out the same sh*t every week.
Malthouse used to just be jarring and would rather be a prick to journalists instead of speaking to us members through the media.
Bolton green shoots every week.

Ratten loved his early doors.

Now Teague trots out the same lines every bloody week. Take our learnings blah blah blah.
We didn't play our way so we got the learnings cos 'frustrated'is a word that Teague hasn't heard. :p

I think our long list of injured bigs is killing us now. We have a real problem with our third tall in defence. When Parks played we looked much more balanced. Our list options are Marchy, Parks and MCG. Two unavailable.

MCG really can’t play back because we have CC, TDk and SOs all out.

So it leaves them really really stuck. Plow can’t play genuine 3rd tall and leaks like a sieve when he does. Doc the same. Willo the same. The backline becomes horribly unbalanced.

Up front we typically at any one time only have two guys capable of marking. Casboult played 63 percent of the game up front yesterday. MCG sat on the bench for 22 percent of the game. McKay 17. So 3/4 of the game (play the period mCG went back) we only have two ‘marking’ forwards.

We have no ‘medium/tall’ forwards ar the moment drawing the ball. Martin, CC, SOS all hit up on the lead.

The result of the unbalanced forward line is the game plan falls apart. Little ability to bring the ball to ground in the forward line. No one drawing the eyes of the kicker with a hard lead. Our forwards are really small. Port had 5 permanent forwards who lead at the ball and create options.

The ‘blazing away’ isn’t just (although is in part) skill and decision making. It’s also havign options.

The best example of this is Cripps going forward and kicking straight to them under no pressure. YES was shithouse. But he also didn’t have anyone leading into space.

Not sure how all this changes until we get some combination of SOS, CC, Parks and Martin back.
Play McGovern back, get creative and go smaller forward. Casboult and McKay is more than enough height, maybe Kennedy plays “third tall”. It’s the only solution as I agree, our backline needs a genuine third tall like Parks. Way more settled.

I reckon the boys are trying hard, but we simply don't have the cattle. The top teams have large numbers of ferocious competitive beasts. We have recruited differently. Dow, O'brien, SPS are all decent players, but not where the game has gone IMO. We are draft or two short at the moment IMO.

He did have free runners next to him though that he ignored. He could've handballed laterally and bumped a port player. One of those, I think 3, runners would've had a clear shot at goal on the run instead of that horrid bomb onto 3 port defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think that there could be any chance that our big forwards, will actually lead straight at the player with the ball?

We always seem to be running away from the player.

Maybe they're just trying to guess where it's going? It sure as he'll doesn't get anywhere close when they do lead.

Play McGovern back, get creative and go smaller forward. Casboult and McKay is more than enough height, maybe Kennedy plays “third tall”. It’s the only solution as I agree, our backline needs a genuine third tall like Parks. Way more settled.
I think I’d play Kennedy out of the goal square in that model. Make Harry lead. That way we don’t get as exposed by Kennedy’s lack of pace. He’s actually a terrific Mark and good one on one (see his hit and collect on Gray).

I know it’s easy to pot the same old crew and I really want to be as objective as possible so I’ll start my thoughts on the team as a whole.

for whatever reason we didn’t really bring the energy this week, from the get go there just wasn’t that exciting dare and dash that we have shown glimpses of... maybe we’ve had a knock on our confidence, maybe we over train. But we looked tired, skill errors are the first signs of lack of confidence or fatigue.That sums up our performance tonight from almost the first set shot miss.

last year when we relied heavily on our around the boundary line out of defensive half strategy. We were mostly able to rely on Casboult clunking it on the wing, even McKay and Gov would make a guest appearance and allow us to at least bomb it into our 50.

It seems to me that since we were beaten by the pies we have stopped the risky corridor pass which would open up the field of play and allow the exciting run and carry, and then the inevitable bomb into the goal square. Now we rank last in moving the ball outside of our defensive 50.

my take on this is our ‘exciting’ brand of footy was exposed by Richmond in Round 1 as lacking the defensive structures to ensure any turnover could be somewhat nullified. It’s great to kick 100 points. But not if the other team kicks 120.

We have issues all over the ground, so much so that it’s hard to know where to begin. I actually felt our midfield was ok tonight if a bit fumbly, port were simply too strong in defence and converted their opportunities up forward.

these great teams seem to isolate our strengths and nullify them. Jones is a Great intercept marker, so Georgiadies runs him to weird spots on the ground negating his ability to peel off his man and intercept. Curnow can Tag a player out of the game so boak just plays on our best player allowing one of their mids to run freely. Alir towled up McKay. So much so it exposed how little forward craft he does. Hence the long bombs.

i honestly don’t understand Gov, Does he not lead? In the final Q when I saw an undersized Willo on Alir, after Malay got injured, I screamed at the TV where tf is Gov only to realise he’d been moved down back. Surely if McKay is not going to lead then Gov could. He’s a great kick, more reliable than Harry or CAS, but rarely sighted. In the VFL match report it said last week Gov was a class above and showed great leadership. I know he’s easy to pick on. But where was he? What does he do all game? Do our mids just not honour his leads? and choose to kick it to Williams or Cripps if they are ‘resting’ forward.

Which brings me to my next point, why tf do we rest guys who are gassed in front of goals only for them to miss shots that simply need to be converted. We’ve got three talls one who has no forward craft, relies on one on one contests and kicks around his body 10 metres out straight in front. One who goes unsighted for the whole match, and another where literally anything could happen when he gets the ball. Most often not good things.

Everyone else will say the rest about individual players but tonight it seems to me every ‘system’ failed. I don’t think our centre clearances were too bad but once we were out there was nothing... just hack kicking into the forward line and hope someone will be there. And there wasn’t.

We don’t have enough players like Walsh, JSOS, and even Cripps that play their guts out. Simple as that. Doc is massively out of form or something cause his decision making and skill errors cost up badly. Cripps is also not playing well, and it’s showing. The rest everyone already knows about so not worth repeating. I do wonder if it weighs on the group this whole gotta go deep into finals or Crippa will leave is a millstone hanging around our neck. I do hope his contract is signed soon....

meh blah ramble over...
I was at that VFL game with cookie monster

McGovern didnt want warrant a call up. He was dominant or anywhere near our best.

Jsos injury and our lack of talls, saw him in. There is no selection integrity, otherwise they would have rewarded Ramsay, who was our best listed player last week

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Game was over when Cripps missed that set shot.. If he had kicked it.. this would be a different conversation right now imo

Sucked the passion out of me, so disappointing after such hard work from the team to get it there and a cracking left foot kick from Eddie in the pocket

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Are you suggesting Teague is coaching like he has “trainer wheels” on......
What was the rumour posted after the pies game.

Coaching selection committee recommended Voss.

Matheson wanted to write a cheque for clarkson. (A non board member mind you)

Board went with Teague because the players like him.

Seriously, fish rots at the head. Have a good hard look. This is where our problems start.

Not a fair dinkum performance driven football club. Sorry to say, its a club wide issue, 0 accountability.

As for our Football Director C.Judd who made those comments, can someone explain to me what he does

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

about ‘tough calls’ - I’m with you except they can’t be dumb calls.

His options yesterday in terms of who didn’t play but were available:

- Dow: everyone was screaming for him to be dropped.
- Philp: still being managed back from OP, not able to play full games yet in the vfl.
- Setters: couldn’t get a kick yestersay playing on ball against a QAFL side
- Ramsay: would get killed playing VFl right now
- Owies: just isn’t clean enough for afl
- Honey: if people on here get frustrated at decision making errors going into forward 50 then if Honey’s effort yesterday was anything to go by then it would only be much much worse.
- Durdin has done zero

He has Stocker, LOb and Cunners to choose from. No medium sized or tall players are actually available. They are all injured. TDK, Parks, Marchy, SOS, CC. Horrendous.

Stocker will replace Williamson next week. Cottrell was murdered by Amon yesterday but he won’t be replaced by LOB. Newnes didn’t have his best game but no afl coach would drop him for LOB right now. Cunners didn’t do enough on ball yesterday to demand an on ball spot. Maybe, just maybe he deserves to play instead of Betts or Murph.

Point I am making is Cunners for either betts or Murph is the only ‘hard decision’ on a senior player Vs a younger player they could possibly contemplate right now. Not sure I’d want Betts out of the side given he is about the only bloke who can kick the ball. Murph, yeah maybe. It would still be gifting a game a bit to Cunners. He really needed to lift last quarter yesterday but didn’t when we needed him. Another ‘nice’ guy.

Even if Stocker and Cunners played yesterday we still would have lost. They will both play next week probably but they’re not the solution.
Agree re Stocker for Willo 100%, maybe Cuners for Matt K/ Murph/Eddie, but that’s about it.

Philp has AFL traits but does need at least another 2 VFL games to be AFL fit and sharp. It’s a pity, has pace, endurance, skill and attitude which is what we badly need. Ramsay showing promise as part of our inevitable rebuild Mk 2, which is a plus.

To get a win next week we’re relying on positional changes, possibly we start with swapping Gov for SPS. Without Parks, SPS poor in locking down as many have noted.

Do we think Murphy is the kind of “leader” who would accept being dropped and work hard to set an example in the 2s, or sook it up and barely get a kick? Can guarantee you he’s the latter.

A player like Ed Curnow would try his guts out no matter the level. This is why Murphy is a complete myth. Not a leader, never has been, and shouldn’t be in the side. How the opposition must lick their lips at the thought of those feeble little toe pokes when the ball is there to be won.

Back