Autopsy Rd 6 Carlton v Brisbane - Walsh & McKay on fire *Cough*We Lost Again*Cough*

Who played well for the Blues vs Brisbane?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry is the only tall option. Casboult is not playing tall and is not providing an option.
That knee injury that Casboult is playing through. It’s affecting his jump.

Are you talking about the press conference of the coach of a team thats considered to be a contender after an almost 100 point loss? That doesn't in any any shape or form compare to our situation,
Not at all comparing where WCE is at vs. Carlton. We are light years apart. From what I see, the Carlton supporter cohort is looking for a different message and response to poor performance. A different leadership style at the club. I think DT’s post-game messaging is contributing to the mounting pressure. Not suggesting a wild swing to the polar opposite of DT‘s style, just some considerations around how his pressers are being received.

We're going to destroy Walsh like we did Cripps.

He may not realise it yet, but he's a meal ticket. He's gonna get smashed week in-week out so a dozen of his 'mates' can collect their wage in comfort.

Cripps hasnt beed 'destroyed' by anyone - what a load of BS- go watch a rugby game and see what seriouus hard nuts cop week in week out. As for Walsh 0 every single elite midfielder in the competition does more for their team than mere role players- that is why they end up being paid the big bucks.

What would you like the AFL focussed media to say about us? Carlton - ruthless, committed, destined for a long stretch of success. What a team, what a club! Please. And don't give me the old chestnut about other clubs losing as well. What do you think WC are copping in Perth today? We have had more false dawns than the dripfree honey dispenser. We are currently an AFL irrelevance and you and people like you want to read about how well we're travelling?

We deserve the heat, its cumulative. I know West Coast, Richmond and Sydney lost by worse margins than us, and in isolation, probably played worse than us.

However each of those clubs has a) played better football than us this year and b) has had infinite more recent success than us. History shows they will all bounce back.

We have no credits in the bank, we are an AFL irrelevance, just happy to be there with fake membership records (though I don't disagree with the strategy tbh). As I have mentioned before, we end up destroying everything we touch. We've cooked Cripps finally, seems only a matter of time before we do it to our other best players in Harry, Walsh and Weiters.

Doch is unfortunate with his knees, he's clearly not the same player. Probably had one of the least effective 28 disposal games possible yesterday. I do think he and Saad need to figure out their roles though, they can't both be unaccountable half backs, either one defends more (That would be Doch as Saad provides more offensive run) or one goes to a wing.

Cripps hasnt beed 'destroyed' by anyone - what a load of BS- go watch a rugby game and see what seriouus hard nuts cop week in week out. As for Walsh 0 every single elite midfielder in the competition does more for their team than mere role players- that is why they end up being paid the big bucks.

We've killed Cripps mentally as much as physically (probably more mentally). He looks like a broken man, he's done all he can, and the side is still garbage.

After Walsh he is a our best midfield runner- unfortunately he is also amongst the lowest skilled field kicks in the team and always has been - as an opposiiton coach - I would make sure Ed is free in center bounces if we lose the clearance- just block up the other on ballers Ed will up and under (at best) to a waiting defensive formation.

Agree 100% he and Cripps shoudl pretty muchjust handball to runners.
It’s a similar situation to the Hawks and Lewis. He was still serviceable however he had reached his limit and he was impacting the development of the next generation.
Ed is always going to be someone who will get 20 touches, but we are at that point where him being in the team is taking up minutes for our young players to gain important minutes

Yeah, I heard that years ago and forgot about it. The NFL draft system is one where 18 year old kids can go straiht into the draft, or they can go to college, spend 4 years there playing college ball and come out of that, straight into a pro team.

I’ve said previously that I want a revamp of the afl draft system, where players 18-20 years of age get picked up on 2-4 year rookie contracts and are slotted into a state level team associated with the club drafting them. After their rookie contract expires, they enter the ND as 22 year olds. And then it becomes like the academy picks system, the club that they were rookies to has the option of matching bids. That way, we have a system of dropping in physically ready players into the senior team. And if a player wants to leave a senior club, they either get a trade or enter the PSD as a senior player who has previously been signed to a senior list.

Also, if a player voluntarily quire a list for 12 months, they become de registered and has to enter the senior system through the PSD.

Free agency then kicks in at 6 years (28 years old) for an RFA, and at 8 years (30) for a UFA. We’ll have more players playing into their 30s with their bodies in good knick.
Sounds like a system that'd drive the general standard of the league up, can't be having that.

What would you like the AFL focussed media to say about us? Carlton - ruthless, committed, destined for a long stretch of success. What a team, what a club! Please. And don't give me the old chestnut about other clubs losing as well. What do you think WC are copping in Perth today? We have had more false dawns than the dripfree honey dispenser. We are currently an AFL irrelevance and you and people like you want to read about how well we're travelling?
Perhaps just some accurate proportionate reporting of a loss fromCarlton to side that is clearly better than us, without the hyperbole and gunning for a kill with our coaches head on a stick..

Is that good? Were they all hack dumps? What're you saying with those stats

He blindly puts boot to ball instead of distributing to better users. He got the ball inside 50 ten times and only 4 score involvements. His clearances are boot to ball without any sense of direction other than "our goals are that way, 'Imma kick it that way"

Walsh had eight i50 and seven score involvements. Cunners six i50 and six involvements.

We have a coach who gets impressed with inside 50 count without factoring where the ball is going. That was clearly evident after the Port game.

Expect more of the same going forward. He will not be dropped, not even disciplined for these types of things.

We've killed Cripps mentally as much as physically (probably more mentally). He looks like a broken man, he's done all he can, and the side is still garbage.

I dont see a physically 'broken' or mentally 'broken' player when I see Cripps playing. What I see is a bloke who has tried to remanufacture himself into a running playmaker - when he is an elite extractor. I stated in the match thread - that (finally) he was actually back to getting ball and looking to give off and this made a huge difference to the midfield run and penetration of the side. He shoudl just stick to that - he will never be a Petracca or a Martin - he is slow has a very poor field kick and an even worse set shot kick.

All he has to do to lead this Club to greater success is be his real self - which is one of the best contested ball players in the competition if not the best and help other players be better - by giving them the ball in advantage - instead of looking to be a big lair and sucking the run out of his team mates by burning them off/ignoring them and then having to give off to disadvanatge.

There is always the room for the occassional gallop - but very very very occassional when it comes to Crippa.

EDIT: also regarding the team being 'garbage' - I thinkwe are carrying 4-5 players that will never be able to match theior direct opponents - even as role players - they wont be in the side when better currently injured players aere back. We have the same depth constraints as every other team in teh competition - and currently have injuries to key positions and bettter options all over the park.

It was always going to be hard given draw - but given injuries -we are curently pushing a big boulder up hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice summary. Your opinion is noted as being only your opinion. Did you miss the bit were we are still a game and percentage out of the 8? And one of your opinions on how to fix the issues at the club is to hit the draft... funny, I though we’ve been doing that for the last 5-6 years.

so... thank you for your opinion... I’ll file it somewhere I might remember it come the end of the season. We’re 6 games in you muppet.

Basically I am saying is keep hitting the draft, and not just give them all for up players.

There’s no silver bullet from here, just need to keep working hard and raise expectations and standards.

Last edited:
We aren't losing clearances as a whole, in fact we won the centre clearances

If pitto goes down, you really expect Gov to ruck all day and leave Harry as the only tall option?

No thanks and it won't happen either
I hear you but at some stage we may have to ask ourselves, is having CAS in the team just in case Pitto goes down best for us? It is getting to the stage where I would soon prefer to take a risk.

I get two Omac is injured but with Jsos back it may be a question worth asking I think.

Let's try and maintain an ounce of positivity here.

We have played:
Round 1 - Richmond (Premiers 2020) - L25
Round 2 - Collingwood (Semi-Finalists 2020) - L21
Round 3 - Fremantle (4-2 2021) - W45
Round 4 - Gold Coast - W11
Round 5 - Port Adelaide (Preliminary Finalists 2020) - L28
Round 6 - Brisbane Lions (Preliminary Finalists 2020) - L18

We have played 4 of the top 6 teams from 2020 in our first six games. We have one of the most depressing injury lists in the AFL with at least 7 players OUT in our best 27 players (best 22 + SUB + EMG). We have won the two games "we should have won" - however the Freo win is looking better and better every week.

I am under no illusion that we are playing at the level we are capable of but we must not give up hope in round 6 of a very long year. Forget about the media bashing we will receive - just block that out. Know that this season is far from over and that we still have a big chance to make this season a success.

Last edited:
Levi isn't only covering pitto.

Also allows H not being double teamed and is a cover down back for Weits and Jones

It's a shitty situation but frustration should be directed at list management, as people have been stating for over 3 years that our spine needed attention

I agree it's a List Mgt balls up. Having said that, I'm also a believer in throwing things around...not recklessly, but you sometimes have to think outside the square. Not sure we are

I agree it's a List Mgt balls up. Having said that, I'm also a believer in throwing things around...not recklessly, but you sometimes have to think outside the square. Not sure we are

Not sure we have that many options around talls.

Teague made some good innovative changes, but selection of some players have hurt others

Betts coming in has pushed Gibbo to more unfamiliar territory and decreased his output, yet Betts has struggled. Drop Betts and put Gibbo back to his role from the previous 2 weeks

Cotts has had the same effect on Newnes output, as Newnes struggles to play that defensive wing role

Let's try and maintain an of ounce positivity here.

We have played:
Round 1 - Richmond (Premiers 2020) - L25
Round 2 - Collingwood (Semi-Finalists 2020) - L21
Round 3 - Fremantle (4-2 2021) - W45
Round 4 - Gold Coast - W11
Round 5 - Port Adelaide (Preliminary Finalists 2020) - L28
Round 6 - Brisbane Lions (Preliminary Finalists 2020) - L18

We have played 4 of the top 6 teams from 2020 in our first six games. We have one of the most depressing injury lists in the AFL with at least 7 players OUT in our best 27 players (best 22 + SUB + EMG). We have won the two games "we should have won" - however the Freo win is looking better and better every week.

I am under no illusion that we are playing at the level we are capable of but we must not give up hope in round 6 of a very long year. Forget about the media bashing we will receive - just block that out. Know that this season is far from over and that we still have a big chance to make this season a success.
Well said- but unfortunately - there isnt much of an audience for reality

Back