Autopsy Round 8, 2021: Gold Coast v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious? You infer he is only playing well because it is a contract year?

This logically means he doesn't try as hard in 'non' contract years and is only concerned with money.
Some statement.

And quoted fairly often on here.
It’s just nuts how underrated he is because he isn’t a flamboyant, eye catching player.

They looked deadly, we'll field quite a different side to the last time we played them and hopefully a different plan.

In the side last time: Carlisle, Paton, Geary, Gresham, Hind, Long, Kent, Phillips…

The most concerning thing is the fumbling and poor skills we saw yesterday, if we bring that against Geelong it will be another 10-15 shellacking.

Well I’m hoping they played their grand final last week….

lol.

Ok , very important question. With Ross pulling out because his wife was having a baby , does that mean that technically next week will be his eighth in a row Still ? Can I count that or do I have to go back and start from game one again . I can’t believe the week he was a sure think to break my 7 game record his wife has a baby and he misses the game .

This was funny as. Gameday and I thought Ross had it in the bag. Talk about a jinx hahaha

And quoted fairly often on here.
It’s just nuts how underrated he is because he isn’t a flamboyant, eye catching player.
Maybe not but he certainly caught my eye yesterday. Usually you look at stats and say “omg Billings actually got a fair bit today and had good disposal efficiency. I didn’t even notice him” but when you watch the game and go “Billings has been best on ground today” you KNOW he had an excellent game.

Coff is doing fine, but yesterday, he and a lot of his team mates were caught napping when they didn't have the ball- let their opponents off the hook. That's something Ratts needs to address at training

Take out the semantics of salary and potential compo for a sec.

If Billings isn't playing this year we could very easily be sitting 1 - 7. Dead-set.

You would want a pretty solid guarantee of replacing him with a better player if you are willing to let him go.

I'm hoping the club isn't that dumb and have learnt from previous mistakes pushing players out for FA compo.

Maybe not but he certainly caught my eye yesterday. Usually you look at stats and say “omg Billings actually got a fair bit today and had good disposal efficiency. I didn’t even notice him” but when you watch the game and go “Billings has been best on ground today” you KNOW he had an excellent game.
Must be a contract year, never tries otherwise.
Oh players don't care either and Max King is a bust.

Round 9 Team: then I'm going out???

B. Membrey Frawley Wilkie

H.B. Hill Battle Howard

C. Clark Jones Crouch

H.F. Billings Marshall Butler

F. Carlisle King Higgins

Foll. Ryder Ross Steele

Inter. Bytel, Coffield, Sinclair, Webster
3BF875C1-58DB-4A88-AC1E-43C449B9B593.gif

You can say what you want about Jack Lonie but to suggest he doesn’t work extremely hard just shows that you have never watched him play.
He has a lot of deficiencies but he works his ass off defensively, which is more than can be said of 80% of our list.

It's great that you think that being swatted away and lying on the ground is working hard defensively. And giving up on chases (Kade Simpson at the 'G being my absolute favorite) fairly often is considered working hard.
But I'm more referring to the constant playing for free kicks (which he rarely gets) and taking himself out of the contest as not working hard. Do you reckon I've seen him often enough for that to be right? I'd love your approval.

With absolute respect Rath is fantastic..Batchelor very good too ,players are not doing what
they are being coached to do...yes Jones , yes Sinclair , talking about you.

My beef is we are dumb.

We still have our fullback kicking the ball in , good teams drag the forwards out of position.

We still are the only team kicking in from Goal Square ...

Howard should be targeted for kick in ... lunacy

Membrey should be targeted for kick in ...& used more defensively when can’t get a kick

King needs nothing but running & running at training for next 6 weeks at training , needs
to be a link player , marking and handballing on to players going past, nowhere near goals
for mine.

Marshall / Steele / Battle as deep forwards ....with the 1st two...rotating on ball.

Selection for mine still poor (Highmore & Connolly) execution of poor skills ridiculously accepted
won‘t even comment about game yesterday beyond belief the inept efforts of fumbling by many.

Clark the exception, without doubt our best user of the ball in the senior team .
Agree totally around King. He looks great when moving. If you are going to drop it on a forwards head Marshall is a much better option.

It's great that you think that being swatted away and lying on the ground is working hard defensively. And giving up on chases (Kade Simpson at the 'G being my absolute favorite) fairly often is considered working hard.
But I'm more referring to the constant playing for free kicks (which he rarely gets) and taking himself out of the contest as not working hard. Do you reckon I've seen him often enough for that to be right? I'd love your approval.
What unmittigated tripe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We desperately need Geary back into the team...to play as a defensive forward. Butler & Lonie far too weak defensively. Lonie in next week is not the answer. Butler will be lucky to hold his spot & lucky we don’t have many quality smalls on the list. Ideally only one of Lonie/Butler + Higgins + Geary/Dmac as our small forwards. I think we will see more of Steele in the fwd line as Crouch & Jones continue to improve (hopefully).

I’m not the most tactically astute but you would think in situations like yesterday (and all year) when Max is outnumbered Marshall or Membrey should be available a lot more.

We seem to continually be looking to plonk it on his head at all costs. Membrey did have one of his poorer games yesterday when the ball when his way so maybe we are trying that occasionally, but as long as our main plan is to bomb it to King we will be easy to defend against, at least until he gets more muscle on his frame.
There's nothing like a series of running pot-shots from 55 to force the opposition forwards back and, as a byproduct, protect your defenders. Also makes it easier to man-up when they set formation for the kick-in. That said, it's not the way to go when you're behind on the scoreboard because you end up with no space in the 50 to give crumbers a chance and help them not get crunched all day.

Would be much better to have Membrey link and turn, delivering to players moving inside 50 or have someone running past to do the same.

He doesn’t deserve to be dropped but I’d say he will be if Frawley is deemed fit enough. This will be based on matchups as opposed to form. Someone needs to take Hawkins.

Maybe Rohan is a good matchup for him? Wilkie is to slow to take Rohan.
Good point, we made Rohan look like Gary Ablett last time!!

Noticed Marshall limping off at end of game
Anybody heard of an another injury apart from his issue of the last few weeks.
Ryder looked a bit bombed out at the end as well.

a518ea71d2af2989bd7d9c85d48ceec9.jpg

Do you think the infamous trainee was to blame for sending this email out and spoiling the game for folks (like me, who lives overseas) that were not able to watch live? *facepalm*

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As the Trainee Receptionist said to you when you went attention seeking to the club... "Whatever champ. Too roo". ;)
Wow, so triggered when called on your silly opinions.

And champed as well. Great work noddy. Always the type to play the man.

Byrnes and Bytel are ones to watch. Beautiful ball use when they get it.
One think I loved about Byrnes game is he was always leading and repeat leading presenting as an option. Something I think we lack and even if he doesn't get it, it's still valuable as it creates some space so is helping someone else get it

One think I loved about Byrnes game is he was always leading and repeat leading presenting as an option. Something I think we lack and even if he doesn't get it, it's still valuable as it creates some space so is helping someone else get it
That’s why Higgins had been so successful. Will actually lead. Should be fine with Higgins, Membury and King leading in patterns with the other small sat their feet. Hell, even get Billings in there doing it. Can’t be too hard to figure out...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back