Player Watch Ash Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get the fixation with key forwards. Be lovely to have 1 but in 2018 we managed an average of 13.2 goals a game without a recognised KPF of note, 6 players contributing >20 goals across the season, Richmond in 2019 averaged 12.88 goals a game with 4 player >20, Riewoldt and Lynch kicking the lions share. Which F50 model is better?
The one that wins 3 out of the last 4 premierships

Play him Queens Birthday, as there is a good chance it will be played at the Adelaide Oval.....

Johnson will head to Victoria over the weekend and will be eligible to play immediately. Pies recruiters are even bullish on his potential to feature this season in what would provide an x-factor to a side that ranks 17th for scoring.

Can't see him getting a senior gig without at least 1 VFL game under his belt and that's looking unlikely this weekend.

May have been touched on already...

He looks exciting, and I'm actually glad (for now) that we've gone him over Callow, just based solely on highlights.

But, why was he overlooked in previous drafts? What has changed between say the rookie draft last year and yesterday?

Pie 4 Life you mentioned he had caught your eye and not just this year?

Had he even nominated for a ND before last year?

AFL Mid-Season Draft 2021: Collingwood recruits Sturt livewire Ash Johnson from SANFL
Collingwood mid-season recruit Ash Johnson has taken the same path to the AFL as his high-flying Adelaide Crows brother Shane McAdam.

Matt Turner and Jay Clark

6 min read
June 3, 2021 - 3:26PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

2 comments

Ash Johnson reckons he jumped so high his head almost hit the ceiling when Collingwood called his name in Wednesday night’s mid-season rookie draft.
It is a fitting image, considering the 23-year-old Sturt forward’s aerial ability is a key attribute that has helped seal his rise from remote Western Australia to the elite level.
Just two years ago, Johnson was playing division two amateur football in Adelaide with Scotch Old Collegians.
Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Every match of every round Live on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
Before that, the 193cm talent was in Perth, having moved there from Halls Creek, a town of about 1500 people in the Kimberleys now boasting six players on AFL lists.
On Wednesday night, Johnson was watching the draft at home with his girlfriend and his brother, Crows forward Shane McAdam.
McAdam took the same path – from Halls Creek to Perth to Scotch Old Collegians then Sturt and the AFL – while providing inspiration to Johnson that he too could make it.
Ash Johnson showcasing his trademark spring ith this spectacular mark. Picture: Naomi Jellicoe

Ash Johnson showcasing his trademark spring ith this spectacular mark. Picture: Naomi Jellicoe
Johnson is now a Pie. Picture Dean Martin

Johnson is now a Pie. Picture Dean Martin
“We almost jumped and hit our head on the roof when we heard my name,” Johnson told The Advertiser.
“It’s just unreal – I’m trying to wrap my head around it.
“Ask me back then (at Scotch Old Collegians) and I wouldn’t say I’d be where I am now today.
“But I had the support and family and the pathway Shane set.”
Averaging 2.2 goals and 6.2 marks per game this season, Johnson will help boost the AFL’s second-lowest scoring attack.
He will also be Collingwood’s sole Indigenous player in its men’s squad.
Johnson had a feeling on Wednesday the Magpies, sitting 16th on the ladder with a 2-9 record, would draft him, despite there also being interest from Gold Coast.
His thought was confirmed when he received a text message from Collingwood a few minutes before being selected.
Johnson’s brother, Shane McAdam, was watching the draft with him. Picture: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Johnson’s brother, Shane McAdam, was watching the draft with him. Picture: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos via Getty Images
He kept the news to himself, leaving it as a surprise to his girlfriend and McAdam.
“I’m just stoked to be on board,” he said.
Johnson is 12cm taller than McAdam and is considered a better contested mark.
Asked who takes the bigger screamers, Johnson said: “definitely me”.
Johnson estimated he had more than 100 wellwishing messages from friends and family.
“My phone, it’s just going off,” he said.
Johnson, who played in a division three flag with Scotch Old Collegians in 2018 and was a Crows top-up player the next year, said reaching the AFL had always been his goal.
“But it wasn’t easy – if it was everyone would be there,” he said.
“There were tough times but I got over it and finally, here I am.
“I’ll bring everything I’ve got and want to show the AFL system I’m ready to be out there.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's going to surprise a lot of people and will only get better from next year on.
Hope so, I wish we swung Howe forward at times to keep the defenders on their toes, when they have to respect and also are fearful of players that not just fly for everything but are a good chance of plucking it the goals start to come a lot easier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back