Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - BIG FREEZE 7 - Round 13 vs. Melbourne, SCG Mon 14/06 @ 3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out: Madgen, Rantall, Noble, Lynch
In: Brown (into the 22), Johnson, Mcreery, Cox

Madgen is not up to it. Noble gets a pass from many but makes critical mistakes and is not damaging by foot he is not the type of player who should be automatically picked, would shift Murphy to the back flank in his place. Mcreery straight back in his pressure is fantastic. Brown deserves a shot in the middle, it’s the best footy he’s played in ages he isn’t a small forward so either in the mid or out of the side. Johnson we picked him for a reason our forward line needs a spark and a different look. Cox full forward rotating with Cameron in the ruck. Lynch competed but it’s a big task against Gawn in your third game.

Way too early for Johnson who more than a few have suggested as an in. If we feel we need another tall forward Kelly is more realistic despite having played back recently.

In: Mayne, McCreery (if fit)
Out: Madgen, Sier (if inj) otherwise Rantall

Harsh on Rantall who was again played out of position, but McCreery is the better forward. Likewise Madgen who looked better in defence, but Mayne has better form and comes straight back in when ready. While I like Cox's ability to bring the footy to ground inside 50 I think we'd be too tall with Cameron, Lynch and Cox; especially with none of them being overly agile.

Out: Madgen, Rantall, Noble, Lynch
In: Brown (into the 22), Johnson, Mcreery, Cox

Madgen is not up to it. Noble gets a pass from many but makes critical mistakes and is not damaging by foot he is not the type of player who should be automatically picked, would shift Murphy to the back flank in his place. Mcreery straight back in his pressure is fantastic. Brown deserves a shot in the middle, it’s the best footy he’s played in ages he isn’t a small forward so either in the mid or out of the side. Johnson we picked him for a reason our forward line needs a spark and a different look. Cox full forward rotating with Cameron in the ruck. Lynch competed but it’s a big task against Gawn in your third game.

How could Cox come straight back in, when he hasn't played any competitive footy for about 6 weeks? I think we just have to continue with Lynch, and get him to compete as hard as he possibly can....

Defensive match ups will be tough
Weideman
McDonald
Gawn/Jackson
Fritsch
Kosi Pickett
Spargo
Neal-Bullen

we probably need an extra tall defender to cover them. Keane or Mayne or Kelly?
Ideally Roughy takes the resting ruck but he will probably have to take McDonald while Moore takes the Weed, which means we need Keane or Kelly for Jackson/ Gawn when they play forward
Maynard to Fritsch
Crisp or IQfor Kosi?
Noble for Spargo
Mayne for Neal-Bullen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those who want Mayne in, seriously think he'd do a better job than Pendlebury in the same role?

Half the attacks came from Pendlebury's decision not to go a 10m chip kick backwards or a 30cm handpass. For once we had a sweeping player capable of making good decisions.

I’d love to see our average score for with Mayne in the team and without Mayne in the team, we seem to move the ball a lot better when he’s not out there...

Those who want Mayne in, seriously think he'd do a better job than Pendlebury in the same role?

Half the attacks came from Pendlebury's decision not to go a 10m chip kick backwards or a 30cm handpass. For once we had a sweeping player capable of making good decisions.
For mine that's the wrong question. Mayne was playing more as a tight medium defender; the role that Madgen had against the crows. Pendlebury took over the role that Wilson had been playing as a more offensive option.

Swans omitted 4 after a win, tigers di it all the time. Just because we won doesn't mean we don't have room for improvement.
While true, Grundy has already been ruled out and Johnson hasn't trained with us. So 5 changes itself isn't my issue as much as who was being brought in

Way too early for Johnson who more than a few have suggested as an in. If we feel we need another tall forward Kelly is more realistic despite having played back recently.

In: Mayne, McCreery (if fit)
Out: Madgen, Sier (if inj) otherwise Rantall

Harsh on Rantall who was again played out of position, but McCreery is the better forward. Likewise Madgen who looked better in defence, but Mayne has better form and comes straight back in when ready. While I like Cox's ability to bring the footy to ground inside 50 I think we'd be too tall with Cameron, Lynch and Cox; especially with none of them being overly agile.
Rantall looks so slow and has no penetration with his kicks. Fingers crossed, but he doesn't fill me with optimism regarding his long term future.

For mine that's the wrong question. Mayne was playing more as a tight medium defender; the role that Madgen had against the crows. Pendlebury took over the role that Wilson had been playing as a more offensive option.

Semantics.

Mayne took a lot of the kickouts against Geelong, the ball never went near the 50m arc. Just can't see a role for the most negative player on the competition for a team that has the worst ball movement in the competition...

Semantics.

Mayne took a lot of the kickouts against Geelong, the ball never went near the 50m arc. Just can't see a role for the most negative player on the competition for a team that has the worst ball movement in the competition...
So you are planning to play Pendles on Gawn when he rests forward ?

Semantics.

Ok, I get it you dislike Mayne, but putting aside that angst the difference in the roles played by Pendlebury / Wilson and Madgen / Mayne isn't semantics. Our current structure is one lockdown medium and one offensive medium. Pendlebury was better than Wilson in the offensive role while Mayne's form has been better than Madgen in the lockdown role. If you prefer Madgen or someone else (Murphy?) over Mayne for the lockdown role that's a different and more logical argument, but you haven't posted a preference here.

Also, while I don't see it as relevant to the difference in their roles, how many kick outs did Pendlebury take? I can't recall any.

Ultimately though you're asking why people prefer Mayne over Pendlebury in the same role and I'm saying I don't, but I do prefer Mayne over Madgen in a completely different role.

Last edited:
Outside of a one point loss to the hands of the Crows at the Adelaide Oval, the Melbourne Demons could not have started this season much better than what they have.

It took some convincing, but the football public has seemingly come to terms with the fact that Melbourne, unusually, just aren't that bad of a side anymore. So much so, in fact, that they are currently in the conversation for flag favourites. That's right, the Melbourne Demons, amongst the flag favourites!

Alright, so I've let them have their moment. Enough of that.

Remember 2017? Collingwood started the season 2-6 and Buckley's future was all-but-gone. Another bad season, sliding down the ladder, history repeating. Although the Pies' season slowly but surely gained some momentum in the latter half of the year, it was Melbourne that simply needed to beat the 13th-placed Magpies to gain their first finals berth since 2006. The Pies went on to win by 16 points and ex-Demon Lynden Dunn belted his chest towards the Magpies faithful on the other side of the fence. Melbourne had spectacularly missed the finals.

And how is that relevant? Melbourne were on the up and full of enthusiasm, but their hopes and dreams were slapped squarely in the face by the hand that was reality. Collingwood had pulled a high-class performance out of their absolute backside.

So whilst we might not have much hope next weekend, these are the types of games we win.

LAST TIME THEY MET:

Round 12, 2020: Melbourne 16.4 (100) def. Collingwood 6.8 (44) at the Gabba in front of a crowd of 5,338.

KEY MATCH UPS:

Roughead will again have his hands full, likely facing off against the meat-eating-machine, Tom McDonald.

Moore should take Weideman or the resting ruck.

Bayley Fritsch has been Melbourne's best forward and will be a very tough match-up. I suspect this will be another case of Quaynor playing on him, rebounding well, conceding 3+ goals, all whilst Maynard would be better suited.

I would personally play Maynard on Fritsch, Quaynor on Pickett and Noble on Spargo.

CHANGES:

Assuming Grundy doesn't get up...

IN: Mccreery, Mayne, Macrae as sub
OUT: Madgen, Sier (inj), C Brown
You’re gagging about Cal surely? FMD we have put up with him for 10 rounds, he finally earns his pay check and omit?..Me no understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back