Universal Love David Teague

Remove this Banner Ad

Liddle wanted Ellis, SOS wanted Eddie back because he knew how popular Eddie is among the indigenous boys around the league and used him as a Judas goat to convince Martin to come to the club. SOS told Liddle where to head in on Ellis, and got Betts back. Liddle probably had Lloyd fudge up something that suggested a conflict of interest, and punted SOS. And in a fit of spite had BSOS punted as well.

Funnily enough one of silvagnis gripes was that Liddle had upped Carlton offer to Betts without consulting him.

Cripps & Weitering should not be talking to the media, let the performances on field do the talking,
Agree, and neither of them said anything, so what was the point of the whole exercise?
Pointless, meaningless, directionless - a bit like DT's coaching

Will you at least let me put in a "no" vote for Lyon?
Go for it, I'm no Lyon fan and I wasn't talking about a poll here , I was referring to the stupid train thing of 2019 which derailed any proper process.

Just combining some info. from another thread, as this is where it is most relevant.

We were 10 and 9 under Teague until the Hawthorn game last year (which is finals bound win/loss rate), albeit over 2 "half" seasons.

7 and 15 since (including that loss).

We are a genuine bottom 4 side in the last full season's worth of games (22). Slightly distorted by everyone not playing everyone else during that time, but a pretty significant sample size.

Only North, GC and Hawthorn have won less games since then. Even Adelaide, who had not won a game to that point last season, has won more games than us.

We have gone from a "fringe finals" level of football, to being a bottom 4 level pile of sh*t.

This is not game plan related - it is purely and simply effort, intent, motivation, call it want you want - but Teague is not extracting it from the group anymore.
R17 last year we were still a mathematical chance of finals. Lost to a hopeless Crows outfit.
R14 this year, a season where finals were firmly on the agenda, and we're even chance at best against the same mob who are meant to be a few seasons behind us on the rebuild. Pathetic really.

R17 last year we were still a mathematical chance of finals. Lost to a hopeless Crows outfit.
R14 this year, a season where finals were firmly on the agenda, and we're even chance at best against the same mob who are meant to be a few seasons behind us on the rebuild. Pathetic really.

No can deny those damning stats, but also the players need to take some of the blame as well.

We can get rid of Teague but it still let's an constantly underachieving playing group off the hook ?
Is it culture ? Am rather disappointed we (least I) haven't heard many players come out in the media and publicly back Teague.

Something really is rotten in the state of Denmark.

No can deny those damning stats, but also the players need to take some of the blame as well.

We can get rid of Teague but it still let's an constantly underachieving playing group off the hook ?
Is it culture ? Am rather disappointed we (least I) haven't heard many players come out in the media and publicly back Teague.

The players need to keep out of any public discussion of the coach's future. They can focus on their own efforts.

Never ever appoint an interim coach! Simples!

An interim coach is anointed when things are broken, and they tend to come in and first thing to focus on is rebuilding trust and cohesion and healing wounds. They come in as more a friend or close to same level as the players. Problem is once this type of relationship is formed it's very hard for them to switch, else players will think the coach is schitso and not the person they thought they were.

Would be very interesting to see the dynamics of the list how they view Teague now as opposed to his interim run of 2019.... from mate, to some an ex-teammate and now to a table breaking coach who is demanding them to actually do something.

Fun times.

Still has me.
I've watched enough footy to know, when a besieged coach is supported
Funnily enough one of silvagnis gripes was that Liddle had upped Carlton offer to Betts without consulting him.

even funnier is, the CEO convinced the president that SOS might sabotage the trades, when in fact, he himself did the sabotaging on betts (pay upgrade)

Can't agree that it's not game-plan related.
The game plan in Teague's 19 games was tweaked from Bolton's, and was pretty successful. But it has changed since then, is unsustainable, and is a big part of the reason that we are so poor now.
Has to be gameplan. The footage the otc guys showed of 4 mids running away from Dow is exactly gameplan. That's the stupid intense spread and it shows why our disposal is bad. Where tf was Dow supposed to go with the ball. No wonder we hack kick and struggle to move the ball. Every mid is more focused on spreading, back to ball. It's brain dead coaching. Absolutely moronic.

Firing the coach doesn't intrinsically imply the players are let off the hook... There will be delistings and players moved on.

Lets assume Teague gets replaced. In view of the mess the club is in the overhaul it is all pointing to hiring a coach with a firm but fair, respect players but not will not be their best friend. I hope he and the football department rule with iron fist in regards to team and individual goals and culture. Whoever does not comply or buy in can be shown the door regardless of reputation and status. Its the only way to set new standards.
The tail has been wagging the dog for to long now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fear is the best motivator. Does he instill fear? Not at all. Not in the players, not in the assistants, not in the footy department. That's why he needs to be sacked. A parent who tells a kid to be home by 10pm is a killjoy when the kid is 17, but when that kid graduates uni with good habits, that parent is lauded. Teague isn't disciplining the boys to the point where they are holding themselves to account internally. Also, his game plan's defense is just nonsense.

Ratts may've been sacked prematurely but lacked defense, Malthouse needed to go, Bolton wasn't more than a development coach, and Teague cannot design an implement a winning game plan. It's time for Ross or Alastair.

Fear is the best motivator. Does he instill fear? Not at all. Not in the players, not in the assistants, not in the footy department. That's why he needs to be sacked. A parent who tells a kid to be home by 10pm is a killjoy when the kid is 17, but when that kid graduates uni with good habits, that parent is lauded. Teague isn't disciplining the boys to the point where they are holding themselves to account internally. Also, his game plan's defense is just nonsense.

Ratts may've been sacked prematurely but lacked defense, Malthouse needed to go, Bolton wasn't more than a development coach, and Teague cannot design an implement a winning game plan. It's time for Ross or Alastair.

Do you really think fear is the best motivator?

Do you really think fear is the best motivator?

Is fear of being dropped still using fear as a motivator? Fear of being smashed on the track, fear of losing the captaincy or some big $$$$ off your contract? I don’t subscribe to fear being the best motivator in terms of a coach being a screamer and a phone smasher but a coach that sets high standards and sticks to them, is still using fear aren’t they?

Riewolt spoke of Lyon sending Milne and Dal Santo to the twos a few weeks ago and spoke about how the rest of the group crapped themselves, I still see this as fear but in a good way.

I tend to agree with Leppitsch that the players who went to the media confidentially and ragged on Teague should be named and shamed and traded/booted from the club at the end of the year (along with seemingly Teague)

This mutiny happened under Pagan, Ratten Malthouse and probably Botlon and i am sick of it.

I don't who they are. Get rid of them.

Need to start changing the culture of this club and get rid of the snitching players who are too gutless to do the hard work and apply themselves to Teague and the Assitant coaches to better themselves and the team.

Aside from the obvious types, this playing group collectively need a bloody good hard look at themselves and their selfish and unaccountable conduct and performances which is likely to cost another good man his job. (Teague)

I tend to agree with Leppitsch that the players who went to the media confidentially and ragged on Teague should be named and shamed and traded/booted from the club at the end of the year (along with seemingly Teague)
Uuuh but you contradict yourself.
I don't who they are. Get rid of them.
You do want them named. Or you don't. Which one.

And FYI if the absolute boss of the company you work for comes to you for a chat and your manager has been underperforming and your response is the culture isn't perfect and the game plan (action plan, whatever) is too complex that's not a back stab. That's fulfilling your role in the company. That company now has direct feedback about a manager they can now use to help them improve. It's how good feedback cycles work. Leppitsch is an idiot in the media who hyped something up for clicks and you've bought it all.
Need to start changing the culture of this club and get rid of the snitching players who are too gutless to do the hard work and apply themselves to Teague and the Assitant coaches to better themselves and the team
Snitching players *biggest eye role of all time.*

Can't agree that it's not game-plan related.
The game plan in Teague's 19 games was tweaked from Bolton's, and was pretty successful. But it has changed since then, is unsustainable, and is a big part of the reason that we are so poor now.

Ok, it could in part be related.

We were going at a win rate of greater than 50%, as well as pushing Melbourne to a point and Port to 3 points early last year. If minor changes to the game plan at that point were not making us better, what sort of fool continues down that path?

I still find it hard to believe that any game plan can stand up when you get effort levels like we have seen from the likes of Williams, Martin, Murphy, Setterfield, SPS, Newnes, Dow and even Cripps at times. Some of it may be injury related, but we are not getting consistent application across the 22 to give any game plan a fair chance.

The players lack of faith in the game plan must have dropped off a cliff around the time of that Hawthorn game last year (like the 25 minute mark of the first quarter), which has then manifested itself in appearing to not try as hard. Chicken/egg I suppose.

Ok, it could in part be related.

We were going at a win rate of greater than 50%, as well as pushing Melbourne to a point and Port to 3 points early last year. If minor changes to the game plan at that point were not making us better, what sort of fool continues down that path?

I still find it hard to believe that any game plan can stand up when you get effort levels like we have seen from the likes of Williams, Martin, Murphy, Setterfield, SPS, Newnes, Dow and even Cripps at times. Some of it may be injury related, but we are not getting consistent application across the 22 to give any game plan a fair chance.

The players lack of faith in the game plan must have dropped off a cliff around the time of that Hawthorn game last year (like the 25 minute mark of the first quarter), which has then manifested itself in appearing to not try as hard. Chicken/egg I suppose.

Dow and SPS have had more than enough chances. I am betting good money at least one won't be at the club next year.

I wanted to back Dow, I really did. Cannot see his career being salvageable at this club (even with a new coach)

Has to be gameplan. The footage the otc guys showed of 4 mids running away from Dow is exactly gameplan. That's the stupid intense spread and it shows why our disposal is bad. Where tf was Dow supposed to go with the ball. No wonder we hack kick and struggle to move the ball. Every mid is more focused on spreading, back to ball. It's brain dead coaching. Absolutely moronic.

and let's suggest they show that to the players in the review....then what? Do we honestly think they'll stop running away from the ball carrier in 1 week? The biggest issue is the absolute consistency we've played with all year (bar 2.5 quaters against Footscray). Clearly the coaches are not reviewing or teaching properly; or they actually think this will work. And if the players are consistently doing this and they shouldn't be, then why are they not being dropped?? Either way it makes no sense and it's time to change the whole thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back