Review Round 18, 2021 vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

We have a serious ability to play beneath ourselves.

All those players are very good but as a collective we find ways underperform.

I rate them all as individuals. I don't rate our team at playing it's best when it has its best on the park.
Of course we play beneath ourselves. It's the coaches job to take the parts and make the team better than the sum of it's parts. We have a team that plays worse than the individuals making it up. That's 100% on the coach. Put anyone else in charge and we are a real flag threat.

Of course we play beneath ourselves. It's the coaches job to take the parts and make the team better than the sum of it's parts. We have a team that plays worse than the individuals making it up. That's 100% on the coach. Put anyone else in charge and we are a real flag threat.
Point is that I felt more confident in a strange way when I seen the ins and outs.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Good win today.

Watching Port through this season, we lack a key defender.The top sides all have a quality key defender that is reliable and can take a mark. Jonas is not that and when in a position to mark the ball, reverts to the Troy Chaplin style double fister. What I would give for a Daryl Wakelin style defender. Wakelin used to read the ball so well and would lead his opponent to the ball and mark it. It would make us a genuine contender.

good point.
maybe he can be a geelong style star who blossoms at 27

He can be. As long as he takes his 'Vitamins'.

3yMX.gif

Ugly, ugly win but a win that showed good character given the huge injury toll.

Wines was a beast again. Carried the midfield on his own.

McKenzie was superb down back.

Georgiades played one of, if not his best, games.

Amon was very good.

Thought Powell-Pepper and Bonner were both improved on recent performances.

Aliir needs to lift, he's hit a really poor patch of form.

A very good game by the Dulmial Gun, next best after wines for me.

To think he couldn’t get a game earlier in the season. Our rock down back.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’ve always thought the bonner hate has been way over the top. He hasn’t been great up to this game this year but he has been far from our worst but cops it way more than any other player. His game today was a bit of vindication and a bird flip to the haters.

I’m picking bonner ahead of Frederick every day of the week and twice on sundays, he is so far from up to it it’s not funny. How is he getting picked ahead of Hartlett?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thought Amon was almost BOG ahead of Wines watching the replay. He was ******* brilliant. Just about the best game he's played.

Mckenzie was so good on King. Bonner was smooth. Burton had a couple of howlers but overall was pretty good as well. Jonas very good.

Mitch! ******* gun. Thought Woodcocks second half was real good, could have been excellent had he slotted 3 as he should have.

Overall, very very good win in the circumstances.

Thought Amon was almost BOG ahead of Wines watching the replay. He was ******* brilliant. Just about the best game he's played.

Mckenzie was so good on King. Bonner was smooth. Burton had a couple of howlers but overall was pretty good as well. Jonas very good.

Mitch! ******* gun. Thought Woodcocks second half was real good, could have been excellent had he slotted 3 as he should have.

Overall, very very good win in the circumstances.
Agree with all of that but Woodcock. He is required to play a low possession/ high impact game. His main job is to slot those goals. He shouldn’t have passed off to Wines either. He doesn’t apply a heap of forward pressure but if he kicks 2 or 3 he has done his job. One goal is sub par -as was his day.

but the most impressive thing is 22 touches (20 kicks) at 96% efficiency with 495 metres gained. To put this into context this isnt short 15m kicks backwards or to the side, he is absolutely bulleting people out and moving the ball forward
Kicking the ball 40m+ to a 50/50 contest is an efficient kick, even if the opposition does end up with the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good win today.

Watching Port through this season, we lack a key defender.The top sides all have a quality key defender that is reliable and can take a mark. Jonas is not that and when in a position to mark the ball, reverts to the Troy Chaplin style double fister. What I would give for a Daryl Wakelin style defender. Wakelin used to read the ball so well and would lead his opponent to the ball and mark it. It would make us a genuine contender.

Comparing Jonas to Troy Chaplin in any way Is an insult

First things first, the AFL players Union should tell the AFL that their members will not set foot on that graveyard that is disgracefully described as a football ground until the AFL spend the millions to fix it, and it can be fixed.

As for the game, it does not matter how ugly it is and how putrid a watch it is for supporters, all that matters is winning and yesterday's win was very important in this topsy turvy year where odds on favourites get rolled and 100/1 pops, win fairly comfortably. We are now a game clear in fourth spot.

Amon and Wines were superb and McKenzie wasn't far behind them. I am loving young Georgiades. He is a very serious young man who is playing and behaving like a true Port Adelaide player - hard at it and never concedes and he's really developing that mongrel to go with his immense natural talent.

I had the top off my red texta ready to put a line through Bonner's name as not up to the required standard and not to be persevered with but in the last quarter, he really went much harder and really stood up and did some very good things. I am still convinced that he is nowhere near being in our best twenty two.

Just remembered the Daniel McKenzie concussion. Hope he’s ok.

Concussions from neck contact and concussions where the players arms go into fencing response are scary.

Good win today.

Completely disagree. Jonas is an incredible defender. Regularly plays on guys 10cm taller than him, rarely gets beaten outright and halves so many aerial contests throughout a match. Jonas is a gun.

Good win today.

Aliir has been doing the job but had an average game yesterday. Clurey was looking OK before getting injured. McKenzie has been playing well. Defence is not our problem we have enough defenders. Tom Jonas is only 188cm so he plays much taller than he is. His chances of consistently out marking 193 cm plus key forwards are pretty remote so he takes the next best option and stops them from marking, I do not have a problem with that.

As for Darryl Wakelin you are right, Wakes was good overhead but we also had Dean Brogan dropping back across half back taking strong defensive marks which is the way the Coach used him. I doubt that tactic would occur to the present coach. Mind you having the likes of Primus, Lade and Brogan on the list was a bonus.

Aliir has been doing the job but had an average game yesterday. Clurey was looking OK before getting injured. McKenzie has been playing well. Defence is not our problem we have enough defenders. Tom Jonas is only 188cm so he plays much taller than he is. His chances of consistently out marking 193 cm plus key forwards are pretty remote so he takes the next best option and stops them from marking, I do not have a problem with that.

As for Darryl Wakelin you are right, Wakes was good overhead but we also had Dean Brogan dropping back across half back taking strong defensive marks which is the way the Coach used him. I doubt that tactic would occur to the present coach. Mind you having the likes of Primus, Lade and Brogan on the list was a bonus.

Jonas being shorter than wines just doesn't seem right

Edit: huh. Wines is listed 187. I'm sure they had him at 189 or even 190 previously.

I haven't watched the game really closely but I thought on first look Frederick was playing a shutdown role on Hill. Seemed to follow him around the ground and played some forward and some back.

Seemed to not do a great job. For a guy who is supposed to have some zip seems to be always trailing his opponent and although Hill is pretty quick Fred never was close to catching him. Hill had one of his better games for the season.

I haven't watched the game really closely but I thought on first look Frederick was playing a shutdown role on Hill. Seemed to follow him around the ground and played some forward and some back.

Seemed to not do a great job. For a guy who is supposed to have some zip seems to be always trailing his opponent and although Hill is pretty quick Fred never was close to catching him. Hill had one of his better games for the season.

Yep not a good game from Frederick. That missed tackle in the goalsquare was painful.

One of the more enjoyable wins we've had for some time, I still believe this team has more grit, determination & heart then other side's Ken has coached, the questions will get answered come Finals time for me.

The game was a scrap, but we had to make it one to win with the players we had out which is basically every single quality ball user or X-Factor type player we have is currently out. I saw David King saying we have no point of difference to win a flag, I'd argue our small forward brigade is our point of difference compared to the other contenders we just haven't had them all out on the park at all this season.

As for the better players for us Wines was BOG by a mile. His season has been a special one, I think he'll finish top 2/3 in the Brownlow and win our Best & Fairest by a monty now, massive credit to Ollie to make himself one of the best mids in the game. Georgiades played arguably his best game at AFL level, he is developing at a rate of knots now, his ceiling is that high he could be anything in 5 years time. Amon & Bonner were fantastic in their roles, special mention to Bonner for stepping up when needed, hopefully he turns a corner now. McKenzie was fantastic down back all day, he should've been in the side all year you'd argue and he's shown why the past month or so.

Hopefully we get Butters, Rozee, Duursma & Fantasia back for the Collingwood game or one or two for it and the others for the game after, a covid bye would help us immensely.

If we can sew up a top 4 spot in the remaining 5 games, anything is possible come September/October but we have to claim that spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back