Goulburn Valley FL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't there cases now in Mildura, tier 1 sites across the state, most of rural and regional towns have a higher age bracket, which makes them in the higher risk, add to the fact regional Vic vaccination rates are slower, what would you prefer Manang? I see wyche, just up the road is a tier 1 site. Maybe vent your anger on the Herald Sun website, with Rita or Sky News, this is big footy

But Dan really cares about regional Victoria because of his parents living there yadda yadda yadda stop the BS Dan you don’t give a flying f about regional business or sport
which you are slowly destroying

Isn't there cases now in Mildura, tier 1 sites across the state, most of rural and regional towns have a higher age bracket, which makes them in the higher risk, add to the fact regional Vic vaccination rates are slower, what would you prefer Manang? I see wyche, just up the road is a tier 1 site. Maybe vent your anger on the Herald Sun website, with Rita or Sky News, this is big footy

Don't live in that area anymore mate and have friends whose businesses have gone broke during this due to unnecessary lockdown

Yep I realise businesses all throughout the country are in the same boat, and just imagine the knock on effects to footy clubs, regarding sponsors, why we don't have better ideas to stop the virus other than lockdowns 18 months down the track is staggering, the mind does boggle, why was job keeper stopped when we have no vaccine, to let businesses stay on their feet as lockdowns will continue until we're vaccinated

Don't live in that area anymore mate and have friends whose businesses have gone broke during this due to unnecessary lockdown

Tier one sites have been catergorised because the Mildura case visited there on the way home . I understand the incubation period of the delta variant is less than other strands but contagious within an hour or two ???

Yep I realise businesses all throughout the country are in the same boat, and just imagine the knock on effects to footy clubs, regarding sponsors, why we don't have better ideas to stop the virus other than lockdowns 18 months down the track is staggering, the mind does boggle, why was job keeper stopped when we have no vaccine, to let businesses stay on their feet as lockdowns will continue until we're vaccinated

Sorry to get all political but I was just about to post about businesses being impacted and knock on effect re sponsoring local footy

Yes the mind boggles how we haven’t found other ways to deal with it and at the rate the vaccine rollout is going it will take till 2023

Please no more! Politics can be discussed on other forums. This is for footy and a chance to escape the 'darkness'.

I agree Ringo but the question that I am asking along with others is what is happening has the potential to bring many clubs to their knees. This then results in the knock on effect of towns suffering, local business closing and people moving away. Many small businesses who are the backbone of our clubs are in trouble and their future isn't guaranteed. Hopefully we are a resilient mob and get through this by supporting each other.

I'm quite concerned about this going by the many stories I have heard over the previous year.

I agree Ringo but the question that I am asking along with others is what is happening has the potential to bring many clubs to their knees. This then results in the knock on effect of towns suffering, local business closing and people moving away. Many small businesses who are the backbone of our clubs are in trouble and their future isn't guaranteed. Hopefully we are a resilient mob and get through this by supporting each other.

I'm quite concerned about this going by the many stories I have heard over the previous year.
No problems with that but when people are either pumping up or delating the tyres of individual politicians that is where the line needs to be drawn.

One thing there should atleast be a Winner for this year is the Morrison Medal. Hard for people to have watched enough games across the League to predict with too much confidence but anyone got a suggestion or two who they think will be up there? Neaves the big Ruckman at United is one I expect to go well & Austin at Rochester has played some good football and has the profile & is easily noticeable on the field.

If we miss another week ?
Bring finals a week early
Play a final 8 system
More games hopefully some revenue for more clubs
Just a thought
Personally I think we've got this far into the Season let's still aim for everyone to play each other once ( I think Club's have played one opponent twice to this point) then start the Finals series. If that means we run a week or two into October so be it there are grounds around with no Cricket being played. If there are no further lockdowns we would be completed in the September timeline even a week or two earlier.

Agree we are a minimum 2 weeks from playing, final 8 system same as AFL and get some revenue for clubs
This is where you would send a memo to Clubs saying if we come out of Lockdown next Wednesday we will be playing Saturday so alert your playing group to be training anyway they can. In regards to a top 8 finals series that's not a bad idea but not without teams playing each other once beforehand. That would mean 3 more Home & Away games which would give Clubs a decent lead in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is where you would send a memo to Clubs saying if we come out of Lockdown next Wednesday we will be playing Saturday so alert your playing group to be training anyway they can. In regards to a top 8 finals series that's not a bad idea but not without teams playing each other once beforehand. That would mean 3 more Home & Away games which would give Clubs a decent lead in.

Doubt they would be playing next week is they probably won’t allow community sport and then if they do probably with no crowds and clubs and leagues could not operate under that situation surely

Doubt they would be playing next week is they probably won’t allow community sport and then if they do probably with no crowds and clubs and leagues could not operate under that situation surely
The Bendigo and Heathcote League have already done it once this Season. Clubs would survive a week with no crowds. Sponsorship Auctions and other fundraisers for the Season are still the same amount regardless of the amount of games they are covering. Another alternative is too get someone to livestream it and sell some Sponsorship on the coverage for the day.

Speaking of big ruckmen, Kane Morris is having a good year for Echuca.

One thing there should atleast be a Winner for this year is the Morrison Medal. Hard for people to have watched enough games across the League to predict with too much confidence but anyone got a suggestion or two who they think will be up there? Neaves the big Ruckman at United is one I expect to go well & Austin at Rochester has played some good football and has the profile & is easily noticeable on the field.

The Bendigo and Heathcote League have already done it once this Season. Clubs would survive a week with no crowds. Sponsorship Auctions and other fundraisers for the Season are still the same amount regardless of the amount of games they are covering. Another alternative is too get someone to livestream it and sell some Sponsorship on the coverage for the day.
I think you’ll find quite a few clubs have things like re-unions planned for games later in the year whereby takings gate/ food / booze and inturn profits are a lot higher than other h&a games . $20 -$25k profit wouldn’t be unreasonable in some cases. There are also things like heritage / indigenous rounds which clubs have most likely bought jumpers for that they would normally sell.

I think you’ll find quite a few clubs have things like re-unions planned for games later in the year whereby takings gate/ food / booze and inturn profits are a lot higher than other h&a games . $20 -$25k profit wouldn’t be unreasonable in some cases. There are also things like heritage / indigenous rounds which clubs have most likely bought jumpers for that they would normally sell.
Hopefully they get to have those events but in my view if Clubs need to play a week before Crowd numbers are increased I'd be going that way.

Hopefully they get to have those events but in my view if Clubs need to play a weeks before Crowd numbers are increased I'd be going that way.

Lots of challenges if a competition resumes immediately. No training in recent week results in players being underprepared and then injuries occur. Not everyone is exercising during a lockdown and many are eating/ drinking more than normal.

Clubs ultimately need the revenue to operate so will be keen to play asap. There will be some collateral damage but I guess survival of a club is far more important at this time.

Was talking to someone up north the other day who was telling me community sport around Sydney is done for the year. We should consider ourselves fortunate if we get back on the park this year. It's amazing how the tables have turned in 2021.

Why do clubs go all in on Heritage rounds and the likes. It’s not the AFL. Clubs don’t need one off jumpers.

Hopefully they get to have those events but in my view if Clubs need to play a week before Crowd numbers are increased I'd be going that way.
Many leagues are in different positions.
Some have played 10 others have played 14, whilst the scheduled GF dates for various leagues are over all 4 weekends of September .
We have read often how GVL crowds have been down this year and already clubs have lost 1-2 home games revenue and potentially more with this lockdown .
Expecting them to play where they incur all playing costs , yet no hosting revenue would be a tough ask.
It was apparently the decision of clubs to continue with inter league bye and also the split round but there was the opportunity for another 2 games to be played and most importantly another home game for clubs to have hosted .

Many leagues are in different positions.
Some have played 10 others have played 14, whilst the scheduled GF dates for various leagues are over all 4 weekends of September .
We have read often how GVL crowds have been down this year and already clubs have lost 1-2 home games revenue and potentially more with this lockdown .
Expecting them to play where they incur all playing costs , yet no hosting revenue would be a tough ask.
It was apparently the decision of clubs to continue with inter league bye and also the split round but there was the opportunity for another 2 games to be played and most importantly another home game for clubs to have hosted .
Where I was coming from is that after lockdowns the numbers allowed at Community sport are normally increased over the first couple of weeks. With that in mind League's had the option to play a Round before they were increased then I think Clubs could deal with that financially. Most Leagues are very financial and the potential to give those Clubs hosting a game in that week a support payment to reduce their loss would be possible as well.

Just the last 3 weeks has cost the AFL 50 mill, since the league was taken over by the AFL it has being running at a deficit. To suggest leagues can financially deal with a couple of weeks of no crowds is up for debate, the afls not a money pit anymore. Wait 3 weeks, play a final 8 with crowds is my take

Where I was coming from is that after lockdowns the numbers allowed at Community sport are normally increased over the first couple of weeks. With that in mind League's had the option to play a Round before they were increased then I think Clubs could deal with that financially. Most Leagues are very financial and the potential to give those Clubs hosting a game in that week a support payment to reduce their loss would be possible as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back