Bluemour Melting Pot XXIX

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know he's got limited footy IQ?

Broadly perhaps because we require a senior mentor to advise our coach or the club deems necessary to have an external independent review of footy operations? maybe it’s the disconcerting team performances against credible opposition, lacking a tenable & sustained game plan to victory, lack of inspirational moves during game time ? I know it’s very easy to be critical form a chair, I do respect David for his efforts to ride the storm and apply his best, but 25 odd years between drinks is a longish while.

Was tossing up between a laugh and a cry on this one.

I'm guessing by the reactions that it was a 'kick this goal and you're in' type thing.

Yeah, looks that way. Seems a bit different to what we've done in the past. Maybe we've learnt from the awkward Parks announcement where he was the third best defender named :p

Is that what you were doing?

Please - where in all of this am I unreasonably portraying something as "fact"?

Is it unreasonable to suggest that the changes being made were being made because our performance was below expectations? Or that the senior coach is ultimately responsible (which you yourself seem to keep saying)? Or that the assistant coaches are highly paid experts and should be doing more than regurgitating a message from the coach? Or that they should be teaching the players?

Do the phrases "I don't think", "nor am I even sure", "at least from the outside" or "looked to be" not make it abundantly clear that these are my personal views and interpretations?

You do know the difference in generalizations yeah? Surely you have seen other content, stating it as fact?

You do know the difference in generalizations yeah? Surely you have seen other content, stating it as fact?

You responded directly to my post with "Again assumptions".

You weren't generalising about s**t, you were accusing me directly of making assumptions, and when called on that said that you will continue to call out posts that try to pass off assumptions as facts.

And now when asked to point out those "facts", you've backtracked and tried to hide behind "oh I wasn't talking about you"?

Nah, it's abundantly clear how you engage in "discussion" and I reckon I've had enough of it for a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You responded directly to my post with "Again assumptions".

You weren't generalising about sh*t, you were accusing me directly of making assumptions, and when called on that said that you will continue to call out posts that try to pass off assumptions as facts.

And now when asked to point out those "facts", you've backtracked and tried to hide behind "oh I wasn't talking about you"?

Nah, it's abundantly clear how you engage in "discussion" and I reckon I've had enough of it for a bit.

"Barker's fault, had to have been"

"Again - Barker leaving was either a necessary result of the top level changes that have been made, or his leaving has been a trigger for ground level changes to be made. Or both"

Facts or assumptions?

Is that the style of "discussion" you mean

Brodie it is. Had heard earlier in the week we were planning on selecting a kid for the first time but no confirmation of who (hence my selection thread post of Kemp/Durdin/Carroll).

Love this selection. Perfect week for it to happen.

Back the young man in and he will do well.

Every defender seems fit and the club wouldnt announce it like this. Holding fire

Didn't Saad play through an early injury against the Pies? Was he given the all clear?

"Again - Barker leaving was either a necessary result of the top level changes that have been made, or his leaving has been a trigger for ground level changes to be made. Or both"

Facts or assumptions?

And now we see the old "partial sentence taken out of context" play. Textbook.

And to me that indicates that we did not have adequate and sophisticated enough coaching when it came to stoppages. We were either not training the right plays, or not training under realistic pressure, and in reviews the rushed exits were not being addressed as an issue.

Barker's fault, had to have been. Stanton's fault, probably as well. Teague's fault, well, he has oversight of those two, so yep. But in getting Barker out and someone else in, we seem to have had a circuit breaker and either through direct coaching or a change in mindset, our stoppage exits have been cleaner and more considered. We're partway between the extreme's of early season Carlton, who took the first opportunity to slam it on the boot, and the Bulldogs, who like to use half a dozen handballs to work the ball into space before taking off.

You've still yet to actually commit fully to your implication that the stoppage coach's responsibility ends before the ball leaves the stoppage. I've asked you to, you keep evading, because you know it's silly. If our method for moving the ball from the stoppage to anywhere else is performing poorly, that is on the stoppage coach, it can't not be. It's also on the mid/transition coach and the senior coach. As I said.

And again, as I apparently need to say a fourth time because you keep trying to pivot, I'm well an truly on the record as saying that Barker wasn't the sole source of our problems, nor was he even necessarily problematic in himself. And the second statement you've quoted there - care to refute it? Barker leaving was either a direct result of changes being made from higher up, or him choosing to leave of his own volition has been a trigger for other changes to be made.

Or he just coincidentally decided to resign on the eve of an external review, and any changes made in his area of responsibility were changes he was going to make anyway...is that it?

Facts or assumptions?

Of course that's a fact. He didn't just say Barker was at fault - he also included Stanton and Teague. If it isn't their fault collectively then who? The players?

Assistant coaches are not just the head coach's messengers like you'd have everyone believe.

They are given the opportunity to provide insight and ideas and head coaches will ultimately determine whether or not to trust their input but more often than not, in a healthy work environment they will collaborate. Especially if the head coach does decide to go with his tactics ignoring the advice from the assistant, you'd think the head coach would be more open to the ideas from that assistant when it's clear the team isn't coping well... or do you think Teague is really that stupid?

There is a reason why some assistant coaches are more highly touted than others and it's not due to their ability to deliver a message from the head coach.

Barker is gone for a reason. Either he wasn't happy, people weren't happy with him or a bit of both and either way he was an issue.

Didn't Saad play through an early injury against the Pies? Was he given the all clear?

Saad rarely misses a game. Guessing if he was dropped it wouldn't be his choice

We kind of do...

We're not going from missing the 8 to winning a flag off the back of a senior coaching change. We'll have a couple of years of finals appearances, and finals losses, before the group start to build the necessary experience to go all the way.

Carlton fans have been patient, it's taken longer than we thought, but getting impatient now and trying to cut corners isn't going to have the effect people want it to. It's more likely to have the opposite effect.
just a ripping post :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back