Bluemour Melting Pot XXIX

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ellis has given more than performance to the Suns, he's provided some leadership. It wasn't something associated with him at Richmond but he's really grown in that area with the Suns.

I must admit I didn't really want him at the time, but in retrospect he wouldn't have been the worst pickup. I don't bemoan it as one that got away, but it would've been a positive inclusion.
As with most of this stuff, it depends entirely on amount. What is he actually on a season? I seem to recall something ridiculous; 750 thousand a year or something.

have to expect leaks when Pavlich reports to the board via Zoom from an internet cafe in Fremantle.
That's part of the problem, can't even decide on a damn video platform. Zoom or WebEx, choose one and move on. Apparently, Russell wanted to use Teams to communicate with the players but Teague put a stop to it.

I was going to make the argument that his lack has been compensated for by Newnes, but then I had a look.

Ellis averaged 5 more possessions a game last year, and 8 this year. He averages 2 more marks a game, and a tackle more a game. He averages a solitary clearance and clanger ahead of Newnes a game.

I'm going to make this clear: I didn't want Ellis then, and I'm glad we didn't take him, but he's comfortably outperformed Newnes statistically to this point. So you've ostensibly brought me over to your point of view.

You also need to consider cost, both free, but big difference in salary

A Ross Lyon coached defence built around Jacob Weitering would be absolutely magnificent.

I am hearing Teague has been told by Liddle that he cannot guarantee his job.

Lyon now front runner for Head Coach.

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Bruce Springsteen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's part of the problem, can't even decide on a damn video platform. Zoom or WebEx, choose one and move on. Apparently, Russell wanted to use Teams to communicate with the players but Teague put a stop to it.
Zoom is a much better product. Cmon blues make the right choice.

I'd give Russell a second chance.
Sometimes bad luck with injuries is just ******* tough to hold someone responsible for.

The one thing I would add, is seeing him trying to be more than head fitness guy and extending into football team stuff I just have my doubt on. Stick to area you an expert in. Rather than that be a knock om him, for me it a knock of someone asking him to go into those areas that not really his domain of expertise. I suspect Liddle or Lloyd, or both responsible for that and not really hold it against him. He should just be the head fitness program guy and nothing else.
The knock I have on Russel is not injuries - 1-- maybe it game style but Dow SpS setterfield etc having improved there running capacity one bit
2. Our young players just don't seem to be developing AFL sized bodies-- they look small and to easily pushed around -- he has had enough pre seasons now to have addressed this ..

I don’t know who Fishsticks is and whether he’s Synbad reincarnate - but the information I have from a source whom I trust has fairly similar info, is that Teague will be moved on (probably announced in the week leading up to the last round), Lloyd gone as well, Cripps and Docherty will not be captains (more than likely Weitering with Walsh as VC) and Liddle on shaky ground.

Nothing on the favoured Coach at this stage as their are a number of candidates in play.

Does your contact have Whatsapp...?

Not sure he'd be up to the recovery/rehab/prevention side of things.

I'd love for him to be involved in the club somehow, though. He's said numerous times over the years he'd love to help out and would jump at the chance if asked. Not sure why you wouldn't want someone like that around at least as a mentor, if not assistant on the fitness team. A former superstar of the club who is still elite fitness wise would be excellent as a mentor I'd have thought. Could help some guys handle the stardom side of things as well as guidance on diet/fitness.

I feel like there might be some concern that he'd be stepping on Russell's toes a bit. Like what happens when players start getting conflicting advice from the two of them on dietary recommendations and the like? Would he come in and work under Russell if that in turn meant he needed to adhere to programs he didn't necessarily agree with or believe in?

I reckon he'd be a ripping bloke to have hanging out in the gym once or twice a week. No more, no less.

I don’t even really see why the contracts/status of Martin, Williams, McGovern wouldn’t be under review either tbh.

We have clearly overspent and not getting anywhere near the return on investment on these guys. If the right offer comes for any of them we’d contemplate making a deal, and potentially paying some of their salary.

I have some news to share from the external review as well. Take it or leave it.

Teague will either be sacked or coach us in 2022, this will depend on a number of things but these are his only options.

Russell is considered an outstanding endurance coach but did nothing to prevent numerous collision injuries. The review also found Brad Lloyd had not worked as the Head of Football anywhere before taking the job at Carlton.

Despite our ladder position the club are looking at the positives and are hoping to draft a very good player with our first pick.

If guys like Gibbons, Fogarty, Cottrell etc can’t lock down a position in the best 22 they will play reserves, this has been made clear to them.

The club is worried that taller players are more at risk of contracting Covid-19 through airborne transmission and will look at reducing what Cain Liddle described as “an excessive amount of tall players drafted by a former key position defender in a clear conflict of interest.” Also looking at trialling Corey Durdin as the second ruck for the rest of the year.

If I hear anything else I’ll keep you posted.
#nottheonion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back