Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

When there are only 18 other buyers in your housing market and you know that in the future you need to potentially deal with those buyers to get good value on your mothers deceased estate, you do things a little differently to figure it out.

Good point.

However, if I may use another dodgy analogy…..as a young fast bowler bowling to opposition fast bowlers who had a rep for being aggressive, I used to think I have no way of knowing what this cat is going to do when he bowls to me. But here I am with the ball in my hand here and now, and there he is at the other end of the pitch, and I want him to feel fear, and understand he is not dealing with someone who is prepared to forego the moments where I have the upper hand in the hope that he might do the same thing another time. I want him to know I am ruthless and he better exploit every advantage he has, because I am sure as hell going to.

North are like that young fast bowler now. They have no reason to be kind, they are on the bottom with everything to prove, everything to improve. A bird in the hand is certainly worth a lot more than 1/17th of a bird in the bush, if you can follow the reasoning. 😁

Last edited:
Good point.

However, if I may use another dodgy analogy…..as a young fast bowler bowling to opposition fast bowlers who had a rep for being aggressive, I used to think I have no way of knowing what this cat is going to do when he bowls to me. But here I am with the ball in my hand here and now, and there he is at the other end of the pitch, and I want him to feel fear, and understand he is not dealing with someone who is prepared to forego the moments where I have the upper hand in the hope that he might do the same thing another time. I want him to know I am ruthless and he better exploit every advantage he has, because I am sure as hell going to.

North are like that young fast bowler now. They have no reason to be kind, they are on the bottom with everything to prove, everything to improve. A bird in the had is certainly worth a lot more than 1/17th of a bird in the bush, if you can follow the reasoning. 😁
One plays to win and beat your oppo regardless of how the after game handshake disguises that intent...we will get shafted in the CCJ scenario cos norff want to win and they will do it legally and with a smile and handshake...

Good point.

North are like that young fast bowler now. They have no reason to be kind, they are on the bottom with everything to prove, everything to improve. A bird in the hand is certainly worth a lot more than 1/17th of a bird in the bush, if you can follow the reasoning. 😁

If there is no benefit to being "kind", then wtf is our club so bloody nice when it comes to releasing our players?

Not too sure why people keep saying this !!

32 year old Tarrant on $300k a year for 2 years is not getting a compo pick , Just wont happen and wont qualify looking at the criteria
But lets just say for argument sake it did. We have tools to change that so it doesnt

I hope you're right but the AFL do not give us any assurances that their formula will not change depending on 'circumstances'. In other words, if teey don't want to give a club a higher pick/compensation because they don't want to (aka the B.Ellis rule), then they do not have to disclose how they came to that ruling. They will just screw us regardless. Simple.

If it was up to this 'uninformed poster', offering our pick in the draft which we have no intention of using, might avoid any such 'special' tampering by the AFL and help give us the best reward for Chol's departure we can get and perhaps give us a better draft selection from North for CJ as a sweetener.

A week ago, I thought 38 would suffice but I think its looking more like pick 20 ( maybe +) as we get closer.
PSD is not the "smart" option to the Roos, even though they can easily do it.

If there is no benefit to being "kind", then wtf is our club so bloody nice when it comes to releasing our players?
You would hope that if North stitch us up on CCJ we will be throwing offers at each of their young kids as they come out of contract over the next 5 years to help pump up the contract values and generally make life difficult for north.

Ive been a little concerned with our willingness to give players away for unders in recent years but you would think that StKilda and GC for example, would be quite fair with us at the trade table as a result.

Never a good idea to burn bridges.

Big Risk going to North in my view. At some stage he will either be relocated to another state after North get relocated. Or if they fold or become untenable will his contract actually get paid? In these difficult times I know where I would rather be. Fecking Ejiot.

Norf melbourne mrketing working overtime last 5 days

They have sold 27 memberships due to the massive influx of protester in the cbd and surrounding suburbs
atleast 3000 tradies went past arden st on the way to the city from the tulla.

Set for a record membership in 2022
Is the goal 2022 members in 2022?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The belief that that is the right thing to do even in the face of others doing the wrong thing - Richmond values real! The opposite of Essendon!

Because we’d like every U18 and his parents that have nominated for the draft to desperately what a phone call from Richmond

and everyone we approach for a trade to say “hell yeah I’m interested in going to Punt rd “

and ripple that is thru every role we have in the club

Must be copping some abuse, he's changed his picture from him playing from us to just a black background.

View attachment 1246570
Pretty shitty if he’s copping abuse over his decision
If the boot was on the other foot and if a player was joining us in similar circumstances we would be over the moon

Pretty shitty if he’s copping abuse over his decision
If the boot was on the other foot and if a player was joining us in similar circumstances we would be over the moon

I actually shudder at the idea of North supporters harassing Robbie Tarrant on his socials. At that, can probably guarantee it's happened.

I actually shudder at the idea of North supporters harassing Robbie Tarrant on his socials. At that, can probably guarantee it's happened.
I thought we were bad in here with our posting about Cj (me included)

Then i seen the tarrant thread on the norf board . My God for a vetran of 14 years to read whats being said by the Big Footy norf supporters
I was shocked and realized we have been pretty lean on Cj.

But as i said before, Norf fiddle with our kids and we will rip their heart out by taking their club champs.
2 years later its Tarrant's jom to get Ben to Tigerland as a free agent ;)

Then i seen the tarrant thread on the norf board . My God for a vetran of 14 years to read whats being said by the Big Footy norf supporters

But as i said before, Norf fiddle with our kids and we will rip their heart out by taking their club champs.

I'll be honest, the North boards been pretty good. It's only later on where one or two have decided they're disappointed he didn't stay loyal but not the vitriol I expected. Saying that, I'd be surprised if the Tigers and Tarrant hadn't been talking for a long time.

I'll be honest, the North boards been pretty good. It's only later on where one or two have decided they're disappointed he didn't stay loyal but not the vitriol I expected. Saying that, I'd be surprised if the Tigers and Tarrant hadn't been talking for a long time.
Tigers have been into Tarrant for a long while (since Rance retired) but we were knocked back and made the call again after Astbury had made up his mind to retire and there are / were major issue's with Tarrant and Rawlings all year. Time was right and he wanted to move

He would be kicking himself he didnt take the opportunity 3 years ago

Tigers have been into Tarrant for a long while (since Rance retired) but we were knocked back and made the call again after Astbury had made up his mind to retire and there are / were major issue's with Tarrant and Rawlings all year. Time was right and he wanted to move

He would be kicking himself he didnt take the opportunity 3 years ago

Yeah, was definitely some talk on him last year, then obviously pre-season he had the kidney dramas. Lot of time to sit and think.

That’s the thing re trades
Talks would of been happening for at least 6 months with managers, players meeting leadership groups, coaches, medicals all not done in a vacuum a few days before something is leaked to the media

players literally have multiple reviews a year to talk about how they are tracking and what intentions might be so plans can start to be made
The AFL as an industry treat fans like idiots by trying to pretend it isn’t the case

Yet we wished Lids well

these norf supporters are unbearable

North is trying to acquire CCJ.

During the process of bringing in which player from another club were we exceedingly kind to the other club?

OK, you could argue Yarran, but clearly that was based on Richmond making an uninformed decision, at his best he was certain worth the pick we gave for him.

Prestia in his prime for the equivalent value of about pick 10?

Lynch in his prime as a Free Agent?

Houli from Essendon for whom we offered less than the Bombers were prepared to accept?

Nankervis for pick 46?

Caddy for the value of a low 20’s pick?

Grigg for Collins?

Releasing players is a completely different dynamic. Most, if not all of the players we released, we couldn’t really afford to retain at the going market wage.

We weren’t especially magnanimous in the Deledio deal, extracting pick 15 for that, admittedly partially as a result of paying some of his salary. Then we weren’t exactly generous in trading that pick 15 to Brisbane for picks 20 & 25. We did unbelievably well out of the Vickery Free Agency, not so well from Conca and Ellis.

For which departing players were we not fairly compensated by the other club? You could say Butler who was maybe worth pick 40 and we got a pick in the 50’s. But the Saints let us take Nyuon and we got fair compensation for Higgins from them. And to be honest, I don’t think Richmond rated Butler very much.

CCJ is the first one going out for a long time where we look like getting properly shafted, and all the club can do is try to make the best of a bad situation. Carlton came at Graham with a big offer and we successfully headed that off, and he wisely chose to to stay.

Over which departures before now should we have dug our heels in, and what would have been gained?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back