Bluemour Melting Pot XXXII - Reaching fever pitch! 🔥 🔥 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was forward line coach, but last two years he has been backline coach + senior assistant

Hmmm...doesn't seem to get mentioned as 'highly rated' like some other assistants though I could be wrong.

Also, he's been at St Kilda for a very long time, 10 years. And they haven't really been a good team in that time.

Hmmm...doesn't seem to get mentioned as 'highly rated' like some other assistants though I could be wrong.

Also, he's been at St Kilda for a very long time, 10 years. And they haven't really been a good team in that time.
Hard to get excited about this
Thought it was a joke tbh.
Is it a joke?

Is it a joke?

Why would it be a joke? Do you have some inside info on his coaching ability/credentials that Voss/Cook et al have overlooked?? 😆

Is it a joke?

As an outsider I truly don't know how Hamill is rated, but looking at his resume, this kind of has a hint of us getting desperate to hire assistants and there being few good options left. We left it really late, lots of highly rated assistants have already moved clubs.

It's almost October and until Hamill we hadn't hired a single assistant and we need to hire an entire group.

Noticed in the article it says he is the backline coach but with a focus on team defence...can't say I've been impressed with St Kilda's team defence.

While I like Brander, I don't see him as the answer to Jones but could he be trained to be? Nothing would surprise me.

Jones was trained to be Jones, I really don't know a great deal about him as a player so can't say. Snap shots I have say maybe.

He wouldn't have to get there instantly because Jones has footy in him still but could he be developed? He was played there as a junior, I'm not sure.

Yeah, I mean they completely stopped nominating us after the Jack Martin PSD debacle...

Not that I think PSD or draft is an option for Cerra.
Pretty sure that Jack Martin was aware that we were prepared to call the Gold Coast bluff and front end his contract to the extent that no other club was in the game.

We can't frontend Cerra's contract to knock others out for lack of cap space. Imagine if he ended up at hawthorn in a rebuild mode for the next five years? Would anyone trust us again?

You want my honest opinion?

I think Gibbs is a big kid, who grew up loving footy and being the apple of his parent's eye, who never really grew up. I think he came to Melbourne and exchanged one boys club for another, and at no point was he forced to grow up or to become something more than a football player. He wasn't pushed, wasn't extended, and it wasn't really going to come from within.

When you get a kid like that, it's on you the coach to pull them through; they'll run through the wall for you. You give a player like that to Leigh Matthews, he's Luke Hodge or Michael Voss; you give a player like that to Alastair Clarkson, he's an in/out mid with a nasty streak who rises when it matters and spends 3-4 weeks a year on the sidelines because he's suspended for a bump, an over enthusiastic tackle (and who's lucky to only be out for 3-4 weeks due to the 'good bloke' discount'.

You pick a direction and get him going. Tell him where and when he's failing. What'd we do? We used him as a gap filler, his entire career. He was a tagger, then an intercept defender, then a general midfielder, then an inside mid, then a matchwinner because we had no-one else. We took this kid with the skills and the frame to be absolutely anything, we used him as a bandaid, and now we're kind of a bit meh about his career?

Did he leave a little bit on the table? Not at all; I'm pretty sure if you asked him, he'd say he did what he was told. I don't think he has the imagination or the ambition to have understood that he was capable of more.

that’s exactly how I see it.

a relatively polite passive persona, a feted teenager who got what he wanted without undue effort; including being drafted as undoubtedly had been foretol. Has no one challenging him to be more than a decent player, no one explaining cajoling hectoring and then positively reinforcing the good and adherence to instruction. Chopping and changing so that he becomes adequate at a variety of things rather than allowing him to explore his gifts and become extraordinary in say an inside mid role. In short, noone explIn8ng a role and teaching the young Bryce to find the Bryce he could be.

Gibbs was capable of anything but his potential seemed to exist in some form of stasis, almost as if there was always going to be another day on which it wold inevitably be fully realised. And then suddenly, seemingly without anyone noticing, he’d gone from wunderkind to maturing senior player to veteran whom the game had passed.

There was never really a period where Gibbs was the dominating superstar most had him pegged as becoming. Yes there were flashes and periods of high level performance, but contrary to popular opinion, I believe this WAS Gibbs willing himself to perform and not just the undulations of form or luck you might expect.

He was a Peter Pan of a footballer. Partly that’s on him, but we really didn’t seem to make it easy for him.

Why would it be a joke? Do you have some inside info on his coaching ability/credentials that Voss/Cook et al have overlooked?? 😆
Oh yes. I certainly do!
I had Scarlett in mind and this has upset my grand plans.
Also...Saints have been bloody terrible for a longggggg time and their culture sucks.
I'm wishing we get some Hodge...or Rance would have been amazing...names I'd get excited about. Either recent success themselves or from a winning culture.
Now this doesn't mean Hamill doesn't have great nouse..I hope he does. I'm just explaining why I'm not excited and also why it gives me the feeling we are struggling to get great assistant coaches.
Am I looking forward to eating my hat with 2 earholes when he is a line coaching genius?
Yes kophi. Yes I am.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy with Hamill considering who is available think he is a great get, has worked in development as well. Feel like you don't stay at a club for 10 years if your not some what well regarded.
Ummmmm.....

Nevermind.

Oh yes. I certainly do!
I had Scarlett in mind and this has upset my grand plans.
Also...Saints have been bloody terrible for a longggggg time and their culture sucks.
I'm wishing we get some Hodge...or Rance would have been amazing...names I'd get excited about. Either recent success themselves or from a winning culture.
Now this doesn't mean Hamill doesn't have great nouse..I hope he does. I'm just explaining why I'm not excited and also why it gives me the feeling we are struggling to get great assistant coaches.
Am I looking forward to eating my hat with 2 earholes when he is a lone coaching genius?
Yes kophi. Yes I am.
View attachment 1249829

How do you know Rance can coach? Since he has never done it before I am curious ponyboy?

How many are still out of contract? How many changes do we think we'll make?
So we have Murphy, Eddie and Levi out. Possibly SPS.
We have Hewett, Cerra and either a pick or player such as Brander to come from SPS if he goes. That only leaves one more spot to fill so far from those leaving. If we use 6 and either 25 or 61 for Cerra, that only leaves us with one draft pick to use. Even if we use 6 with next year's 2nd or 3rd rounder, that only leaves us with 25 and 61 this year.
We still have Newnes, Fogarty, LOB, Parks, Cottrell, Owies, Gibbons, McDonald, Setterfield and Ramsay out of contract. That's 10 players, plus 3 already gone and SPS possibly traded. 14 players, which obviously won't happen, but even if there's a few more from that list, where are we going to replace them from? Delisted free agents? Some will have to be on the trade table, so we can either get a player or picks back to fill their spot.
View attachment 1249788

That list is not accurate CnBB.

Also some players have re-signed and a couple are contracted until end of 2022

Taking out Betts, Murphy & Levi out of the list above, below is the current OOC players.

Lochie O'Brien
5. Sam Petrevski-Seton
32. Jack Newnes
33. Sam Ramsay
39. Oscar McDonald (SSP Rookie)
40. Michael Gibbons (Promoted to Snr list)
44. Matthew Owies (Cat B International Rookie) - (to be retained as a Cat B Rookie)
46. Matthew Cottrell (2nd yr rookie)

That list is not accurate CnBB.

Also some players have re-signed and a couple are contracted until end of 2022

Taking out Betts, Murphy & Levi out of the list above, below is the current OOC players.

Lochie O'Brien
5. Sam Petrevski-Seton
32. Jack Newnes
33. Sam Ramsay
39. Oscar McDonald (SSP Rookie)
40. Michael Gibbons (Promoted to Snr list)
44. Matthew Owies (Cat B International Rookie) - (to be retained as a Cat B Rookie)
46. Matthew Cottrell (2nd yr rookie)

Riley Bev confirmed on Tradio yesterday that Jack Newnes hit a trigger and is contracted for 2022

Fair enough ...
Good because I am already regretting that I impulsively posted my 1st thoughts on our new backline coach.
I think of Hamill. Like a yeti. Someone spoken about in whispers from a dream long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back