News Sam Hayes signs for North Melbourne VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam just needs to get super fit. Internally, that's the only thing holding back.
I assume your not referring to SPP. As for Sam Hayes I'd have thought carrying the Magpies ruck all year was/is a good base to work off.

It's all there for him to grab with both hands. Is there a feeling internally that Sam and Slyce can co-exist or is it one or the other.

Not trying to be cheeky coz they're very similar.

Schnitzel?
Nup but he was guzzling down a bottle of coke. Which reminds me, allegedly in the '62(?) sanfl GF on a hot day players were told not to drink

at any of the breaks as it was thought it would cause cramps. Iirc some were taken to hospital post game for rehydration.

As for head knocks / concussion a "you'll be right in a minute or two mate" attitude was rife.

I think the club has handled Hayes pretty well . Rucks are just different , especially tap ruckmen , their bodies have to stiffen up so to speak so they can compete with those that have .
I think he’s obviously first one in now when Lycett‘s not available . From there I’d say the timing is quite good as he slowly takes over from Lycett .

Jason Cripps on the radio this morning described Hayes as the best ruck on an AFL list not getting a regular game in the AFL.

He has to be given a chance next year. Even if it is just half a dozen games. There's no way Lycett will be able to handle a full season next year. His knees are shot - can barely jump anymore. Limiting the amount of games he has will be beneficial to keep him fresh for every game he plays, and it will allow us to get a better idea of how good Hayes could be.

If Hayes plays really well, we could eventually go to a 2 ruck 2 KPF system with Hayes doing the majority of the ruck work and Lycett as a 3rd KPF/2nd ruck like he was at West Coast. Regardless, what I'm saying is Hayes being good will only strengthen our system - but we won't know how good he can be if we don't play him.

Contracted until the end of 2023 so at least we have some scope with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no way Lycett will be able to handle a full season next year. His knees are shot - can barely jump anymore. Limiting the amount of games he has will be beneficial to keep him fresh for every game he plays, and it will allow us to get a better idea of how good Hayes could be.
Lycett is shot. This is why it should be Hayes from game 1 in the pre-season and into the real stuff, with Lycett there for when Hayes needs a rest, not the other way around. With coach clueless overridden if he wants to stick with all the older players trying to desperately hold onto his job.

Lycett is shot. This is why it should be Hayes from game 1 in the pre-season and into the real stuff, with Lycett there for when Hayes needs a rest, not the other way around. With coach clueless overridden if he wants to stick with all the older players trying to desperately hold onto his job.
Lycett covers the ground well, with an ok skill set. Perception imo is that he can have an average game. Dont know if he has had ever had a big leap, but can hold ground. Hayes has really good reach with long arms and body. Should love centre bounces. Have not seem a lot of tv of him, seems to jump through the ball ok not Sure where he places his leading knee. Seems to set up ok behind the ball. Willing to get down low but probably not where lycett is with recovery that way. Obv has the knod from the coaches for future and has been no question about attitude which is v good sign?

Replacing Lycett with Hayes will result in a short term drop that will slam our premiership window shut. That's why it won't be done.
Will it though?

Lycett is a very average ruckman, who has completely and utterly failed us in two prelims. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Hayes came in and outplayed him from day 1.

Will it though?

Lycett is a very average ruckman, who has completely and utterly failed us in two prelims. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Hayes came in and outplayed him from day 1.

Possibly, but that in itself would be an indication of where our flag chances sit.

Will it though?

My only concern with replacing Lycett with Hayes, wholesale, is burnout.

They need to be rotated and rested, so that both are available and in form come finals.

Another reason to have a back-up ruck on the list, so they can actually rest Lycett/Hayes and not leave Lord, Marshall or Finlayson as our sole SANFL ruck.

Jason Cripps on the radio this morning described Hayes as the best ruck on an AFL list not getting a regular game in the AFL.

He has to be given a chance next year. Even if it is just half a dozen games. There's no way Lycett will be able to handle a full season next year. His knees are shot - can barely jump anymore. Limiting the amount of games he has will be beneficial to keep him fresh for every game he plays, and it will allow us to get a better idea of how good Hayes could be.

If Hayes plays really well, we could eventually go to a 2 ruck 2 KPF system with Hayes doing the majority of the ruck work and Lycett as a 3rd KPF/2nd ruck like he was at West Coast. Regardless, what I'm saying is Hayes being good will only strengthen our system - but we won't know how good he can be if we don't play him.

Contracted until the end of 2023 so at least we have some scope with him.

So internally, the club thinks this but supposedly Hinkley didn't get the memo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back