Certified Legendary Thread Covid, Life, UFOs, Food, & Wordle :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fun fact: you solve the ear dilemma with the nose block we all know. But what is less known is that it is called the Valsalva Manoeuvre.

Antonio Valsalva, born in the late 1600s, was a scientific pioneer. Wasn’t afraid of getting down and dirty. Known to sample the fluids of cadavers as part of his inquiries…

“Gangrenous pus does not taste good leaving the tongue tingling unpleasantly for the better part of the day.”

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Did well to get in before the closure.

Haha, didn't realise you had already responded. I deleted the post. After I quoted you, I realised that she'd got in before the changes and my comment wasn't relevant.

But, yeah, seems like she was lucky with her timing. She'd been waiting a long time to have it due to other health issues.

Our daughter in law is German and they got married in her hometown Groditz, a beautiful little place, a few years ago. After we get to see our little granddaughter on the Gold Coast we’re planning on returning to Germany p, based in their inn, for an extended trip around Germany and through Europe. Beautiful part of the world and just another plan thats been canned via the COVID.

This new rule coming in to effect next week where fully vaccinated travellers from NSW will be able to come here to Vic without having to quarantine.. which is 50 shades of sexy for them and that re.. however our 15km radius rule will still apply.. meaning someone from Bondi could come down to visit someone from Beechworth.. stay in regional Vic within that 15km limit.. but someone living in Melbourne can't see family in Regional Vic.. makes soooo much sense.. I am now officially back on the Drac bandwagon re.

Our daughter in law is German and they got married in her hometown Groditz, a beautiful little place, a few years ago. After we get to see our little granddaughter on the Gold Coast we’re planning on returning to Germany p, based in their inn, for an extended trip around Germany and through Europe. Beautiful part of the world and just another plan thats been canned via the COVID.

That sounds like a hell of a plan.

You're living in a nice part of the world but basing yourself in Germany and touring Europe is bucket-list material.

The weather in Melbourne is miserable right now. I blame Big Ears because he is also a miserable bastard and we all know he secretly controls the weather through an evil deal he made with Xi. :grin:

Last edited:
What a hideous Melbourne day! The sort of day like yesterday that makes me want to get the * out of this city, particularly considering we are 6 weeks into Spring.

Anyway, though the weather plays a pivotal role in the background to this post, the contents are not specifically about the horrendous winds lashing this building or the dismal grey mistiness omnipresent through the double glazed surrounding windows.

Tossing and turning trying to get to sleep last night, suddenly at around 2am, the room, the apartment, my entire immediate world is a cacophony of sound, a voice blasting through the speakers screamed to the tune of an accompanying alarm - 'Emergency, emergency, evacuate, evacuate!' repeated over and over again for what seemed an eternity, but was probably only 15-20 minutes. Peering through the windows, I could see people in their dressing gowns and pyjamas leaving the building at the rear. Three fire engines with sirens screaming had pulled up out front, their lights illuminating the trees below.

I popped my jeans over my PJs, placed my wallet in the back pocket, slipped a jumper over my head - and went back to bed, under the warmth of the doona. There have been 3 previous evacuations in my time here. I have obeyed one of them, because it occurred at a convenient time and not during a lockdown when there were no restrictions on numbers in the lift (an important consideration for the inevitable explanation of an electrical fault etc).

No way was I going out into the elements to join the other residents in their night attire assembled on the pavement and bathed in the red and blue rotating lights of the 3 fire engines. But also uppermost in my thoughts was the email sent to residents earlier this week regarding the covid case on floor 8, two levels above mine. The person would have to evacuate (though like me could have chosen to risk becoming a human torch on the balcony), in which case I assumed everyone would have to be tested. No thank you! No 14 days quarantine or enforced isolation waiting for test results for this little resident!

I don't think I ever got to sleep, but am only an hour out of bed now, and the building along with my life still seem to be intact. However, there are 2 emails from the body corporate and management, one explaining that the winds caused a malfunction of something or another somewhere and thanking everyone for dutifully evacuating. The second email contained the following:

'Dear Residents,

RE: Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) – *** Apartments We write to alert you that during last night’s Fire Alarm, the Resident who is covid positive and currently isolating within their apartment, did in fact evacuate the building. We have spoken with the Resident and reviewed video footage. They evacuated via the fire stars and tried to keep their physical distance from other resident and wore their mask at all times and when going back to their apartment, they entered the lift alone. This was an unfortunate situation, we strongly recommend that all residents of *** Apartments get tested immediately and isolate until a negative test result is received. The closest testing site is Aughtie Walk, Albert Park. In the meantime, we have arranged for Sharper to attend site today to undertake a Bio clean of the area the Resident entered as well as the lifts, front foyer and apartment level. In the event you receive a positive test result, all confirmed cases must be reported to Building Management'.

Seems I dodged a bullet.

This NSW decision makes no sense to me.
Why not wait a few extra days until our lockdown ends?
Personally, I love to see Victoria's hand forced by this new NSW premier. What an outstanding example of action and urgency he is to the stodgy, hesitant creatures of caution and safety that run this state.

Let's get the country moving!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I love to see Victoria's hand forced by this new NSW premier. What an outstanding example of action and urgency he is to the stodgy, hesitant creatures of caution and safety that run this state.

Let’s hope it doesn’t go 🍐 shaped.

The Dom Perignon also announced that FVs int travellers will not have to go into hotel quaz when they arrive in NSW from Nov 1 re. Tourism industry reckons it's grouse.. The Moz govt reckons it's 50 shades as well. And Qantas has announced its gonna put pedal to the metal Chap lapping it by 2 weeks to Nov 1.

Gotta wonder re.. when the Dom opened that Keg.. I reckon it was a sign from Apollo.. he got David Hasselfroffed in the fatsa cause he's a star re.

The devotionals dedicated to the Don strike me as low-humour and lower politics. NSW has an advanced vaccination rate, and the broad reality is that he's now making some moves to push beyond the reality we've all been living in for too long.

The idolisation of Perrottet is not my issue, so much as the underappreciation of what we're about to embark on in Victoria.

Andrews hasn't tried to sidestep the roadmap he laid down not so long ago. Victoria is on its own march towards a post-pandemic reality, which means freedom for many, but it will also bring extraordinary stress and enduring pain.

There's nothing conservative or risk-averse about the next few months. Many people aren't vaccinated, or can't be vaccinated, or will get sick despite the vaccine, or will get the virus and suffer many and varied effects for the rest of their lives which don't include death. The health system for all of us will almost certainly struggle.

I agree with our bid for freedom, but I'll keep reminding myself that I don't have to pay the cost of it, that other people will pick up the tab, and I'll keep reminding myself that Victoria's 'painfully slow' or 'conservative' approach actually sacrifices lives so that the rest of us can get on with ours. There's nothing especially conservative about that.

Fun fact: you solve the ear dilemma with the nose block we all know. But what is less known is that it is called the Valsalva Manoeuvre.

Antonio Valsalva, born in the late 1600s, was a scientific pioneer. Wasn’t afraid of getting down and dirty. Known to sample the fluids of cadavers as part of his inquiries. Along with groundbreaking research around the Eustachian tube, he is also known for this quote,

“Gangrenous pus does not taste good leaving the tongue tingling unpleasantly for the better part of the day.”

Antonio Valsalva, born in the late 1600s, was a scientific pioneer. Wasn’t afraid of getting down and dirty. Known to sample the fluids of cadavers as part of his inquiries. Along with groundbreaking research around the Eustachian tube, he is also known for this quote,

Reminds me of the primary school poster I saw about world war 2. Down the bottom it had Fun Fact: Millions died during the war.

I've avoided the grade 3 classes ever since.

The devotionals dedicated to the Don strike me as low-humour and lower politics. NSW has an advanced vaccination rate, and the broad reality is that he's now making some moves to push beyond the reality we've all been living in for too long.

The idolisation of Perrottet is not my issue, so much as the underappreciation of what we're about to embark on in Victoria.

Andrews hasn't tried to sidestep the roadmap he laid down not so long ago. Victoria is on its own march towards a post-pandemic reality, which means freedom for many, but it will also bring extraordinary stress and enduring pain.

There's nothing conservative or risk-averse about the next few months. Many people aren't vaccinated, or can't be vaccinated, or will get sick despite the vaccine, or will get the virus and suffer many and varied effects for the rest of their lives which don't include death. The health system for all of us will almost certainly struggle.

I agree with our bid for freedom, but I'll keep reminding myself that I don't have to pay the cost of it, that other people will pick up the tab, and I'll keep reminding myself that Victoria's 'painfully slow' or 'conservative' approach actually sacrifices lives so that the rest of us can get on with ours. There's nothing especially conservative about that.

Sydney cases are currently way lower than they were modelled to be, as modellers underestimated the efficacy of the vaccine in stopping spread. I don't think new modelling of Vic based on nsw vaccine efficacy will look as bad as earlier opening predictions.

The good thing for NSW and Vic is that they're re-opening whilst vaccine efficacy is at it's peak due to such recent jabbing. December isn't looking as bad as modelled. The real issues may come next winter when efficacy has dropped, unless boosters are in play by then.

The surgeons will do okay at the current levels, it’s a peer review system for justification of performing the surgery, and they don’t like to s**t where they live.

The devotionals dedicated to the Don strike me as low-humour and lower politics.

Or retention of humour afforded by brilliant scientists, a rich nation funding our survival when we can't work, and the joy of living more adventurously again given the brief golden glimmer we are on the planet

Hugs xxxx

Or retention of humour afforded by brilliant scientists, a rich nation funding our survival when we can't work, and the joy of living more adventurously again given the brief golden glimmer we are on the planet

Hugs xxxx
Not to mention that even if covid runs rampant, our chances of living to a ripe old age are still higher than any other generation has known.

Not to mention that even if covid runs rampant, our chances of living to a ripe old age are still higher than any other generation has known.

Imma be FV'd soon.. I'm not going to live in fear of the virus. I don't need to explain.. all I need to say is.. it has a lot to do with the love I have for the Collingwood Football Club.. the love for the players.. the team.. what I want from the Fly as a coach.. winning premierships.. the love I have of where I'm from.

Go out.. have a drink.. abide by the r&rs.. that's it.

Best way to describe it in a few words.

Each to their own.

Last edited:

Hugs xxxx

I'm not sure about the relationship of your reply to the specific quote, seems ambiguous.

Nothing ambiguous about the joy of freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back