🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Last edited:
Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Hi Peeps .....just opening an early discussion thread on posters interest in participating in a DRAFT League, if I organise ??

There are two parts:

1. The level of interest to warrant organizing a league or two

2. What the rules of the competition should be

* number of teams per league
* number of players per team

My first time, so be gentle with me .....popular league setups are 8 teams x 18 or 19 players ....but this is why I'm opening up early, so we have plenty of time to discuss & get a consensus opinion

BTW ....when does the actual Draft take place ....wasn't able to find anything on that ??

Hi Peeps .....just opening an early discussion thread on posters interest in participating in a DRAFT League, if I organise ??

There are two parts:

My first time, so be gentle with me .....popular league setups are 8 teams x 18 or 19 players ....but this is why I'm opening up early, so we have plenty of time to discuss & get a consensus opinion

BTW ....when does the actual Draft take place ....wasn't able to find anything on that ??
Yeah alright, I'm in. Not like I have a life anyways

Oct 25, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood

There are two parts:

I’ve been doing this for years with some mates - it’s great fun! And it’s less stressful than SC classic once the draft is done, as you only really trade for injuries / the MacPhersons of the world. *Almost* set and forget for the season.

Re the draft, you can pick the time & date when setting up the league, and it can be changed later on. The most popular days are the Friday(s) between end of the Ansett Cup and R1.

Also note the that if people cannot get to the draft live, they can set up a pre-draft order of players that auto-selects for them. Although obviously they miss the best part of the season! And they could end up with a bench full of spud ruckmen 😂

This page is a good resource and even has a mock draft simulator - https://thedraftdoctors.com.au/

Finally, re draft order, I strongly recommend you pick a wide horse race and allocate numbers to the draft participants using a random number generator - finishing order of the race determines the draft order 😁

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I’ve been doing this for years with some mates - it’s great fun! And it’s less stressful than SC classic once the draft is done, as you only really trade for injuries / the MacPhersons of the world. *Almost* set and forget for the season.

Re the draft, you can pick the time & date when setting up the league, and it can be changed later on. The most popular days are the Friday(s) between end of the Ansett Cup and R1.

Also note the that if people cannot get to the draft live, they can set up a pre-draft order of players that auto-selects for them. Although obviously they miss the best part of the season! And they could end up with a bench full of spud ruckmen 😂

This page is a good resource and even has a mock draft simulator - https://thedraftdoctors.com.au/

Finally, re draft order, I strongly recommend you pick a wide horse race and allocate numbers to the draft participants using a random number generator - finishing order of the race determines the draft order 😁
That's great feedback ...I'll take that on board

What about preferred league size and number of players per team ....what do you believe is the best size / number ?

Oct 25, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's great feedback ...I'll take that on board

What about preferred league size and number of players per team ....what do you believe is the best size / number ?

We use a 4-5-1-4/5 structure - 19 Players. That works well.

You could go larger teams if there are fewer league participants, particularly if you want the spectacle of games being decided by Kozi Pickett v James Aish on a Sunday arvo. If you go smaller teams it makes it easier, as you can avoid the Paddy Dows of the world. Ultimately, it’s probably a function of how many teams you get in the league.

You’ll need to decide:

A) if you want captains. It’s a big advantage in draft if you get an early pick, have 2 jet captain options and can loop.

B) when the season starts - it doesn’t need to be R1, but that affects how often teams play each other.

C) whether you will have a fixed or floating bench. Floating = your worst bench score counts no matter the position, as opposed to only backs being able to replace backs as normal

Also, snake draft is a must IMO.

Finally, take note that it’s sometimes hard to divorce the draft and classic mentality - I’ve made a few clangers in draft by picking up rookie/speccy types over proven B22 players available at the same pick. Have to keep the research separate!

PS, you can structure the season so that you avoid byes 😍😍😍

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Draft leagues are a lot of fun.
I've been part of one since they first started up.

We've always gone for 12 teams, 3-4-1-3 (4), randomised order & snake draft, but only recently disabled captains, which is the fairest way to play imo.

I find it best to have the draft before the pre-season games, as this is when people are most likely to trade players and anyone that looks to be a bolter.

Have had issues with no one ever wanting to trade, because they don't want to get reemed and later sledged in the group chat lol.

IIRC Seymour Skinner was the other who was a bit keen last season .....yeah, you're :padlock:

Got thoughts on number of teams per league and #Players per team ...... 8 x 18, 8 x 16, or 10 x 14 seem pretty common setups ?

Nah not me, I'm already part of a long running one which I often forget about before lockouts, love the format but don't want to be managing my regular side and 2 drafts to boot.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Draft leagues are a lot of fun.
I've been part of one since they first started up.

We've always gone for 12 teams, 3-4-1-3 (4), randomised order & snake draft, but only recently disabled captains, which is the fairest way to play imo.

I find it best to have the draft before the pre-season games, as this is when people are most likely to trade players and anyone that looks to be a bolter.

Have had issues with no one ever wanting to trade, because they don't want to get reemed and later sledged in the group chat lol.
Seymour ....is having 12 teams better, because if a couple of players fall out, you still have a competitive league versus say an 8 team league ?

Seymour ....is having 12 teams better, because if a couple of players fall out, you still have a competitive league versus say an 8 team league ?

I've only ever done 12 so don't really know.
Have had people give up throughout the year, but as long as they don't fob off their good players to one of the active teams for nothing it's not really that big a deal.
Usually ends up being 4/5 really strong teams most years anyways.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I've only ever done 12 so don't really know.
Have had people give up throughout the year, but as long as they don't fob off their good players to one of the active teams for nothing it's not really that big a deal.
Usually ends up being 4/5 really strong teams most years anyways.
Thanks for the input ....one last question; how do you initially select your snake order for R1 of the Draft ?

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Id love to join.
Count me in.
We have had unprecedented demand ......you'll have to take a number, please be patient 🤣

Beetlejuice number.gif

Nah .....love that you'll be joining us ;)

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We have had unprecedented demand ......you'll have to take a number, please be patient 🤣

View attachment 1289859

Nah .....love that you'll be joining us ;)
Draft gives me the opportunity to pick all the speculative North players I can.
I would never take Jed in classic.
But in draft @pick 120 feck yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back