Think Tank Brain teaser thread for the bay!

Remove this Banner Ad

Tiger Outcast

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2021
Croatia!
AFL Club
Richmond
Depending on how your brain works, (left brain, right brain) you will either see a cat or a moose in this pattern. And no, whatever animal you see isn’t part of the image, it’s just an optical illusion created by your own brain. If you zoom in on any of the features you see, the illusion disappears.

258842641_10225896700223859_5562320976764965790_n.jpg

On a game show, there are 3 doors to chose from.
One has a car, the other two have goats.
Let's say the contestant, let's call him Sydney Stack, chooses door 1. (without opening the door).
The gameshow host, let's call him Roger Mellie, then must open a door containing a goat out of door 2 or door 3
Roger Mellie opens door 3 to reveal a goat.
Roger then offers contestant Sydney Stack a chance to switch his original door 1 , for door 2, to reveal and win the car.

Should he switch or stay with door 1?

1200px-Monty_open_door.svg.png

I know this one but I will spoiler it.

Switch. Your first choice was a 1 in 3 choice. Now your choice is 1 in 2. You’re improving your odds by switching.
Not totally correct but yes you switch, door 2 has a 2/3 chance of having the car, door 1 has 1/3 chance as additional information has been added by revealing door 3.[ Spolier]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You said your choice is now a 1 in 2 chance for door 2? , but it's a 2 in 3 chance for door two and 1 in 3 still in door one but switching to door 2 is correct[Sooiler]
Yes - you’re right.

An ancient Greek puzzle proffered by sea urchins (not the animals) to an oracle. Legend has it that it drove him mad. Obviously a translation, but:

Ëverything we caught we left behind. What we did not catch we took away.

oty

I know this one but I will spoiler it.

Switch. Your first choice was a 1 in 3 choice. Now your choice is 1 in 2. You’re improving your odds by switching.

Ive seen this, know the answer was 'switch' but never quite understood why.

If he had picked Door 1, and the host knows Door 1 is a dud, why would the host not just open door 1 and the contestant loses right away? Or is a rule that the host has to eliminate one of the goats first.

Ive seen this, know the answer was 'switch' but never quite understood why.

If he had picked Door 1, and the host knows Door 1 is a dud, why would the host not just open door 1 and the contestant loses right away? Or is a rule that the host has to eliminate one of the goats first.
The host has to eliminate a goat first

Not totally correct but yes you switch, door 2 has a 2/3 chance of having the car, door 1 has 1/3 chance as additional information has been added by revealing door 3.[ Spolier]

Well I drafted a reply saying thats all nonsense and its obviously a 50/50 chance, but after reading that Wiki page, I'm a convert.

"Pigeons repeatedly exposed to the problem show that they rapidly learn to always switch, unlike humans."

Last edited:
Well I drafted a reply saying thats all nonsense and its obviously a 50/50 chance, but after reading that Wiki page, I'm a convert.

"Pigeons repeatedly exposed to the problem show that they rapidly learn to always switch, unlike humans."
Yes, it stumped a lot of phd professers as well apparantly partly due our human bias to keep what we have chosen and 2) it being a famous example of a “cognitive illusion,” often used to demonstrate people's resistance and deficiency in dealing with uncertainty.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back