Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
2022-Banner-Draft.png

Welcome to the first season of SuperCoach Draft Stars

I'll use a random order generator .....Draft Rules will be in post #2 ....Snake Order Draft for both teams will be posted in post #3 & #4

Draft Stars 1League Code 838855Draft Stars League Code 620204
ImissFrostySam Frost Fan ClubDeezML
NSWCROWNSWCROWgothedonsWalla Magic
A Bit DustySons Of AnarchyNuggetzBondi Battlers
IngyGrasscuttersSouth of the YarraVanessa’s Gorgeous
Andrew BirchThe Night ManagerJuzzomacJuzzomac FC
stevebbbBafingwood FCfuic08Tristram Cows
GiganticZinger FingersesotericAnd they will know
MacStradbrokeOodlesmalteasermcpies
buttoxLalbertTDS7Big Fig Wasps
mochacinolatteOkily DokilyHB17
RaveneyesMotown SharksMITSSmell me finger
Maybe TomorrowDeja VoodooKananook FC

Last edited:
I think it would be most useful to answer no. 2 first, and in some detail, so bear with me. Using numbering above:

2. You each have a pre-draft list, which to start with takes the same order as last year's averages (sexy Macrae being pick 1). If you don't make a selection (computer glitch, timed out), then it will automatically select the next available player on your draft list. Up to the start of the draft, you can re-order this list as you see fit. It is essential to remove dead players and to ensure that your first pick or 2 are spot on. I don't think it's worth ordering 180 players per se (being the number of total picks), however you could hypothetically do that and let the computer auto-pick for you. This is an option for those who cannot make the draft - they have to do a little extra homework, but there are ranking lists out there they could rely on. Personally, I think the draft if the best bit and I suggest that you'd want to be involved in it. It's fun watching people's f*ck ups and tactics re positions (how early do you get a ruck? what round does Greene go? Will Ward go pick 1?!?!), and you want to be flexible on the night. For example, if rucks start flying on the shelf you may want to elevate your next ruck selection. Or if all the good rucks go early then you might ignore them till the last round. So the pre-draft order is a useful safety net which you should have a flick through / alter a bit, however it is not essential that you prepare a detailed list.

1. We usually do 30 seconds or 1 min, keeping in mind that 30secs per pick = max 1.5hr draft and 1min per pick = max 3hr draft (it will be slightly less as the first c. 20 picks fly off the shelf). 30 seconds is usually enough to make a call, provided that you have been paying attention as you. I agree with A Bit Dusty that it is better to allocate a couple of hours one night to get it done, rather than stretching to hour-long picks over the weekend. Those who can't attend can, with enough notice, make a solid pre-draft list. Or if people can only to an hour from 8-9pm, that will cover 2/3 of the picks @ 30sec a pick - that would be fine, it would cover most on field players (and then use the pre-draft list for the bench, which should be fine as well). Also remember that there's a free agent pool, so once the draft is done, people can ship off the Paddy Dows of the world and reshuffle their team a bit.

3. Once the draft is done, you can sub your players around as you see fit, but if you want to get rid of anyone then you'll have to trade them out and trade in a free agent. Remember it is a marathon, not a sprint, so it may be better to hold a Bowes on the bench for half a season and get him back for in finals, rather than carry a Callum Brown (see point C below as well)

4. Bueno.

Other comments:
A. IMO, if you don't get one of the top top rucks, you may as well wait until later in the draft and grab someone like Draper late. There will still be plenty of good mids (etc.) available - more important to grab those.
B. You need a different mindset to classic. Forget about the speccy players like Rayner, or grab only one or two of them. Better to have a solid team crunching out 80s for 22 rounds rather than hoping rookies get a game or someone goes from 50 --> 90 and failing, then being left trying to replace them from the free agent pool.
C. If you have a floating bench, you don't want to be carrying spuds as you'll just cop their sh!te score each week where you need an emergency. It's better to have 2 reasonable players and a couple of non-playing rookies or injured players (who will come back later in the year) provided that you don't run out of players... however, Covid depletions could hurt adopting this tactic.

Hope the above helps, apologies for the essay.

Let me know if you have any other questions. If I think of anything else that is useful, I'll chip in!
I'll read tomorrow ....thanks for the reply, but I'm brain dead tonight ;)

I was suggesting an hour max ....nothing wrong with a couple of minutes, if everyone's on-line at the time

However I've seen the BigFooty Board Phantom Draft .....and people are not on-line at the time ....might be work or a few things

I'm sure we can work around this ....maybe have posters list 3 options if they're not available & myself as the moderator makes a call

Let's continue to discuss .....I'm new to this as well
The problem with 1hr picks is that you can have 11 people online raring to go at 8pm, and if one person is at work / sick etc, then no-one else can go until their hour elapses. It will take 1hr and 10min to do 12 picks, because of one player!

The problem with 1hr picks is that you can have 11 people online raring to go at 8pm, and if one person is at work / sick etc, then no-one else can go until their hour elapses. It will take 1hr and 10min to do 12 picks, because of one player!
I'm hearing you ;)

Put my team down as Big Fig Wasps again.

I reckon a shorter timer is a lot better. If you pre-list you shouldn't be in trouble anyway. and it makes it far more entertaining. Especially if you get everyone in a group chat and discuss the selections live. Always worked for me.

Put my team down as Big Fig Wasps again.

I reckon a shorter timer is a lot better. If you pre-list you shouldn't be in trouble anyway. and it makes it far more entertaining. Especially if you get everyone in a group chat and discuss the selections live. Always worked for me.
I'm convinced ....that'll be the way we go

Is there a pause on the timer overnight?

Can't have people missing picks because they weren't up at 3am or something stupid.

Also WaynesWorld19 team name across all sc is now Sam Frost Fan Club

Is there a pause on the timer overnight?

Can't have people missing picks because they weren't up at 3am or something stupid.

Also WaynesWorld19 team name across all sc is now Sam Frost Fan Club
Hopefully won't need an overnight timer .....in fact definitely wont

I’m not partaking, but 2 questions:

1. How long are you allowing for picks? @30 seconds per pick you’ll need 1.5hr for 180 picks (12x15 picks).

2. Can we get a live stream embedded so we can watch!? 😍

Get practising (here: Draft Doctors Mock Draft) and enjoy!
thanks for the link. this is my first draft with pick 7.

Defence​

• Jake Lloyd

• Tom Stewart

• Sam Docherty

Midfield​

• Andrew Brayshaw

• Dayne Zorko

• Jack Redden

• Tom Liberatore

Ruck​

• Nic Naitanui

Forward​

• Jordan De Goey

• Connor Rozee

• Tom Hawkins

Bench​

• Matt Rowell

• Toby Nankervis

• Oleg Markov

• Joel Selwood

30 seconds is not enough. 1 minute is just right please. towards the second half of the draft it starts getting hard. those of us organised enough to make a pick within 10 seconds will make up for those utilising their full 60 seconds.

draft night is half the fun. lock in a date. maybe do one league on friday and the other on saturday. aim for a 7.30pm kickoff.. and we will be done by 10.30pm. maybe set up a zoom call and only the coaches in that league plus special guests can be on screen and everyone else can spectate. perfect.

questions.

can we trade with other players afterwards?

any reason we cant do a full 22 player team?

how does free agency drafting order work. first in best dressed? or is it one night a week that you put your picks in and bottom of the league gets first pick like afl draft.

stupid question but it this going to be run using the sc platform? does this platform have the capability for auto picks? or are we running a forum based platform? (i used to be in one on superfootyforum back over 10 years ago and it was great fun)

im very excited and scared for this. after doing the mock draft it just shows how screwed i really am.

my team name will still be Kananook FC

Last edited:
OK BuckleysBrigade and Seymour Skinner ....some final pieces of the puzzle

1. Draft will be held the weekend B4 the first PS game .....how long between picks ? ....I'm thinking an hour max ?

2. What happens if a team fails to make a selection at their allotted position?

3. Does each team following the draft setup their own teams, as per the players they've drafted ?

4. I'll setup both leagues and supply codes
my 2 cents.

1. league 2 on friday. league 1 on saturday. live zoom call as stated in previous post. 1 minute picks.

2. sc avg 2021 rank is a safe bet.

3. i think you should only be able to play players in their positions. bench scores should work like an afl emergency and you nominate one player on your bench to be your emergency. if you have 2 players out or your emergency isnt playing thats just bad luck and poor planning. if it was a 22 player draft id have sympathy. but this is mini with only 12. shouldnt be too hard to find 13 warm bodies every week.

thanks for the link. this is my first draft with pick 7.

Defence​

• Jake Lloyd

• Tom Stewart

• Sam Docherty

Midfield​

• Andrew Brayshaw

• Dayne Zorko

• Jack Redden

• Tom Liberatore

Ruck​

• Nic Naitanui

Forward​

• Jordan De Goey

• Connor Rozee

• Tom Hawkins

Bench​

• Matt Rowell

• Toby Nankervis

• Oleg Markov

• Joel Selwood

30 seconds is not enough. 1 minute is just right please. towards the second half of the draft it starts getting hard. those of us organised enough to make a pick within 10 seconds will make up for those utilising their full 60 seconds.

draft night is half the fun. lock in a date. maybe do one league on friday and the other on saturday. aim for a 7.30pm kickoff.. and we will be done by 10.30pm. maybe set up a zoom call and only the coaches in that league plus special guests can be on screen and everyone else can spectate. perfect.

questions.

how does free agency drafting order work. first in best dressed? or is it one night a week that you put your picks in and bottom of the league gets first pick like afl draft.

stupid question but it this going to be run using the sc platform? does this platform have the capability for auto picks? or are we running a forum based platform? (i used to be in one on superfootyforum back over 10 years ago and it was great fun)

im very excited and scared for this. after doing the mock draft it just shows how screwed i really am.

my team name will still be Kananook FC

I like that team! And you have plenty of time to practise...

Re your questions, WaynesWorld19 can confirm as many relate to league settings. However, my comments are:

LEAGUES - if WW hasn't already set up the leagues, you could structure the leagues based on which draft night people can make? Might mean that more can attend.

TRADES - there is an option to allow trades between teams. The issue is whether the trades are a free for all, need to be sanctioned by the Commissioner or can be vetoed by other players (the last two stop ridiculous trades late in the season, i.e. a lower team trading a gun midfielder to a finals playing team).

FREE AGENCY - it's like the AFL / SC draft. After a round is completed, there are usually c. 2 days where no free agent trades are processed. This allows everyone to put in their proposed free agent trades. The setting I've used is that trades are then processed based on reverse ladder order, so the lowest team gets their first trade processed, then second lowest (assuming their desired player is still available), then third lowest, etc... so if you are higher up the ladder, you may need to put in 3 or 4 free agent trade proposals, as there is every chance that your first couple of selections will have been taken by lower ranked players. Similarly, if someone trades a player out, there is a period of c. 2 days where that player sits on the "waiver wire" (ie. they cannot be picked up), which gives everyone a chance to see them as available and put in their trade requests (again, lower ladder order gets first preference). By Weds or Thurs it is just a free agent pool and there is no more ordering of picks, however by this time presumably anyone who is a desirable player will have already gone.

PLAYER NUMBERS - you can do 22 players, however it makes the draft longer and quite difficult in the later rounds.

PLATFORM - I've used both SC and Ultimate Footy. Stick with SC as it is known scoring & platform. It has auto-picking during the draft.

Sorry for monopolising the thread WaynesWorld19!

Last edited:

Re your questions, WaynesWorld19 can confirm as many relate to league settings. However, my comments are:

LEAGUES - if WW hasn't already set up the leagues, you could structure the leagues based on which draft night people can make? Might mean that more can attend.

TRADES - there is an option to allow trades between teams. The issue is whether the trades are a free for all, need to be sanctioned by the Commissioner or can be vetoed by other players (the last two stop ridiculous trades late in the season, i.e. a lower team trading a gun midfielder to a finals playing team).

FREE AGENCY - it's like the AFL / SC draft. After a round is completed, there are usually c. 2 days where no free agent trades are processed. This allows everyone to put in their proposed free agent trades. The setting I've used is that trades are then processed based on reverse ladder order, so the lowest team gets their first trade processed, then second lowest (assuming their desired player is still available), then third lowest, etc... so if you are higher up the ladder, you may need to put in 3 or 4 free agent trade proposals, as there is every chance that your first couple of selections will have been taken by lower ranked players. Similarly, if someone trades a player out, there is a period of c. 2 days where that player sits on the "waiver wire" (ie. they cannot be picked up), which gives everyone a chance to see them as available and put in their trade requests (again, lower ladder order gets first preference). By Weds or Thurs it is just a free agent pool and there is no more ordering of picks, however by this time presumably anyone who is a desirable player will have already gone.

PLAYER NUMBERS - you can do 22 players, however it makes the draft longer and quite difficult in the later rounds.

PLATFORM - I've used both SC and Ultimate Footy. Stick SC as it is known scoring & platform. It has auto-picking during the draft.

Thanks for all the info, what a guru!

You Are Awesome GIF

questions.

I'm learning this from scratch .....so I'm relying on BuckleysBrigade and Seymour Skinner

People ....the OP and post #2 have been updated with team names, as I get them, and Draft Night Rules

To answer your questions
1. Yes you can trade after Trade Night ......hence why we're doing B4 the PS Games ....we want to encourage inter-team trading

2. We decided (on input) that a pool of 180 players was enough ( 12 teams x 15 players) ....otherwise you're are getting too low on player quality ....and some teams may fall away, given they don't believe they'll be competitive

These questions are best answered by the experts:

1. How does trading work, post Draft ?

2. I was thinking the Draft Night's would be done in this thread ....with a standard Pre-List Draft list of players stickied to the thread ?

However I keep hearing of a Zoom call ? ....I assume most Draft's wouldn't have access to a forum or chat room, so understand the zoom call in that regard
Peoples thoughts ?

3. I setup the leagues and rules ....do Coach's then submit their own teams, based upon their Drafted Players ( I assume this)

Does the commisioner have to be a participating team ....in other words can I be the commissioner, even though I won't be a participating team?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where's the League Code? WaynesWorld19

finding homer simpson GIF
Just have to finalise all the rules and Draft conditions .....so I can include in the setup of the leagues

Expect conversations and feedback to finalise that by tomorrow .....so Leagues will be setup over the weekend

I'm learning this from scratch .....so I'm relying on BuckleysBrigade and Seymour Skinner

People ....the OP and post #2 have been updated with team names, as I get them, and Draft Night Rules

To answer your questions
1. Yes you can trade after Trade Night ......hence why we're doing B4 the PS Games ....we want to encourage inter-team trading

2. We decided (on input) that a pool of 180 players was enough ( 12 teams x 15 players) ....otherwise you're are getting too low on player quality ....and some teams may fall away, given they don't believe they'll be competitive

These questions are best answered by the experts:

1. How does trading work, post Draft ?

2. I was thinking the Draft Night's would be done in this thread ....with a standard Pre-List Draft list of players stickied to the thread ?

However I keep hearing of a Zoom call ? ....I assume most Draft's wouldn't have access to a forum or chat room, so understand the zoom call in that regard
Peoples thoughts ?

3. I setup the leagues and rules ....do Coach's then submit their own teams, based upon their Drafted Players ( I assume this)

WaynesWorld19 I think the Commissioner has to take part in the league.

In response to above:

1. Anyone can propose a trade to another player at any time (there is a trade centre). Usually there would be a DM discussion and once there is agreement then the trade is proposed in the trade centre. If there is no approval setting (eg. commissioner / league veto) then it goes through same as in SC classic.

2. The draft will be managed via the SC website/app (no need for BigFooty anything - there is a chat function in the SC site). When you log into SC Draft prior to the draft (once leagues are set up) it will just show your pre-draft list and a ladder. On draft night, everyone logs into SC (there is a separate section for SC Draft) and the page automatically switches to draft mode. Each person will be able to see their pre-draft list and their blank team (it looks the same as SC classic). There is a rolling ticker of the picks (e.g. X team picks Paddy Dow with pick 4) and as the draft progresses, picked players will be removed from your pre-draft list. Your team will be updated with each pick, showing you what positions to you need to fill. There is a ticker across the top which shows who has the next 3 or 4 picks, so you can monitor when it's coming up to your next pick. When your turn arrives you'll be able to see your team as it stands and the remaining players ranked per your pre-draft list (or averages if you don't update your list prior to the draft). Then you simply search the player you want or filter by position (same as in SC Classic), then click the + sign next to their name to draft them. For DPP you are prompted to draft based on position.

A Zoom call would just be on the side for banter.

3. The teams auto-populate on the night - the SC site does it all for you. Once the draft is done, the format of the draft centre will change so that you can view your team as in SC Classic. You will also be able to see a ladder & and you can view each person's team.

WaynesWorld19 you'll need to make sure that:
A. you adjust the draft pick order prior to the draft. I think I mentioned it elsewhere, but we use a horse race to determine pick order (i.e. random number picker --> allocate each person a number / horse based on random allocation --> finishing order determines draft order);
B. people have subscribed to the league the day prior to the draft. Don't want to have issues on draft night with teams being unable to subscribe / incomplete leagues!!

A. you adjust the draft pick order prior to the draft. I think I mentioned it elsewhere, but we use a horse race to determine pick order (i.e. random number picker --> allocate each person a number / horse based on random allocation --> finishing order determines draft order);
I have a random order generator

The Draft Order will be conducted tomorrow .....which teams will get the coveted #1 Draft Pick ?

I did tinker with the idea of having the Draft Field placings "live Streamed" ......maybe next season when we can sell the rights off .....maybe steal some of Chief's advertisers

So book your seats .....grab a beer ....Sunday Feb 6th @11 am the Draft Order WILL BE revealed

Excited Rik Mayall.gif

PLATFORM - I've used both SC and Ultimate Footy. Stick with SC as it is known scoring & platform. It has auto-picking during the draft.

BuckleysBrigade if you want in you can take my spot if you like. havent participated in a draft league before and you’re all over it! I’m happy to watch from a distance if you wanted to join in.

BuckleysBrigade if you want in you can take my spot if you like. havent participated in a draft league before and you’re all over it! I’m happy to watch from a distance if you wanted to join in.
Buckleys already indicated he's in another Draft League & won't be participating

Everyone's new at this game

Draft Order .....all teams in the gate ready to have the auto generator spun .....not far away from learning who will have the #1 Draft selection for 2022

Stay tuned at 11 am

just showing Draft Stars 1 for transparency .....but same process will be followed for Draft Stars 2

1644096232853.png

Draft Order .....all teams in the gate ready to have the auto generator spun .....not far away from learning who will have the #1 Draft selection for 2022

Stay tuned at 11 am

just showing Draft Stars 1 for transparency .....but same process will be followed for Draft Stars 2

View attachment 1322671
Is it too late change my team name to "Deja Voodoo" please? Sorry for the late notice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back